If anyone doubts that settings / routing presences make a differemce

Wapping

Reaction score
I sent a friend of mine a very simple route A to B via just three shaping point in between. It is 178 miles, with a big chunk of motorway. On my Mac and on my device (both of which have the pretence settings turned off, set simply to fastest time) the route is 178 miles.

On his device, which is set to avoid toll roads and motorways, it's 222 miles. A very significant difference in the distance.

He recreated the route, lobbing in lots of shaping points to force it to take the motorway, despite his preference settings and eventually got it back to the correct route at 178 miles.

PS Yes, I know. He could have just altered his settings and saved himself some bother.

This is what occurs all the time when we share routes, we all have our preferences set to suit ourselves, i get it a lot even after i have told my bikermates what settings they need to have set, i now make my routes immovable if they are to be shared, it takes a little longer but cuts out the cries of you are going the wrong way, mid detour.

Interesting point that, thanks for bringing it too light.

I've sent quite a few routes to mates using motogoloco, on a gpx file, yet when they load into there nav from their PCs, the route alters slighly! I have put it down to difference in software before but never thought they could be running a difference preference system on their machine

Thanks for the heads up

Back
Top Bottom