Is it just me ?

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes I have a Sat Nav on the bike and access to the internet BUT I always feel the need to have proper maps /guide books for the areas I am visiting.

Find it so much easier to plan routes and places to visit using proper maps, have I got a problem ?

Attachments

• maps 1.jpg
    maps 1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 368
  • maps 2.jpg
    maps 2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 357
  • maps 3.jpg
    maps 3.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 373
I am with you all the way on this one.

Yup, I plot my routes into a GPS device but I'd no more go on a jaunt without a decent map, than I'd go without my trousers.

Judging by the bods in Stanfords map shop in Covent Garden last week I / we are not alone. Walk into any half decent newspaper shop or supermarket on the continent and you'll find at least a couple of maps or more for sale, so they remain popular there, too. There is bewildering number; maps for walkers, maps for cyclists, maps for sailors, maps for railway enthusiasts, maps of battlefields, city maps, topographical maps, maps of regions within countries, maps of the entire world on one sheet, maps of the moon, electronic and digital maps accessible from anywhere in the world..... And then there's the guide books. Marvellous things.

I always carry decent maps, it helps to become orientated with regard to towns and cities and the Michelin maps have scenic routes highlighted plus a Satnav could fail.

Fortunately there are even more including city maps plus the obligatory folder of local O/S maps (always carried them at work as they were better than out multi million pound computer mapping system)

Yes, your problem is you have no where near enough maps!:D

Fortunately there are even more including city maps plus the obligatory folder of local O/S maps (always carried them at work as they were better than out multi million pound computer mapping system)

Champion!!

I too have a lovely collection because I like them. We took maps on our recent euro trip and glad we did as there were many road closures during August. I too plot all my routes to satnag with a military precision:D When doing Alps ,mountain routes have many A5 motorrad route cards. Does it ever go wrong , yes definitely, with the maps you can still plan a forward route and often get back on original satnag course. It's our trip not Mrs Satnag. We had fun running a Zumo 590 on mine and Zumo 660 on Julie's bikes. Routing almost same:rolleyes: Some heated debate about where to go at times:D Makes for a more interesting day.
A man can not have enough maps or guides. Just need some more shelving:thumby:

Ooh and don't forget your reading specs or one of them magnifying rulers.

Ooh and don't forget your reading specs or one of them magnifying rulers.

Having spent yesterday with very detailed 1:200000 ADAC regional maps, I can say with some authority that you need a bloody big magnifying glass sometimes.

Maps and map detail are odd things. I had several makers' versions of the same areas at the same scale out in Stanfords, trying to decide which one I liked best. I never get on easily with the French ISGN maps though they sell thousands. But even an ISGN map is better than nothing.

Wapping, I bought 2 isgn route des grandes Alpes maps ,his and hers. We hardly used them as I also had a copy of routes des motos from Michelin which seemed more accessible and easy to read. The others appear cluttered.

I agree with you over the cluttering. Many map styles try to cram too much in or have dreadful colour / font choices. There again, someone must like them.

Pussies! A true Adventure bike rider would use these...

Attachments

• sextant.jpe
    sextant.jpe
    12.6 KB · Views: 243
  • compass.jpe
    compass.jpe
    13.5 KB · Views: 226
Pussies! A true Adventure bike rider would use these...

You'd also need two watches, as without them you'd not be able to calculate longitude.

A good book, if you like that kind of thing:

9780007214228.jpg

Back
Top Bottom