MT07 Tracer test ride

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
Had a go on one of these today...

IMG_1074_zpsx53evdry.jpg

IMG_1073_zpspkt7nroi.jpg

Awesome bit of kit for £6.5K on the road, the logic to my test ride was thinking about getting rid of my Ducati 899 next year and buying a sports tourer (RT1200/K1600), but could buy this with the cost to change and keep the 899.

Engine is a peach, great low down torque, and the ONLY criticisms I can direct at it are a) wind management, the small screen worked better on the low setting for me, but still not perfect. This may be the nature of the bike. b) suspension a little coarse, but still hustled well.

Really really loved everything else, the seating position, the power, the ability to go as fast as I wanted.

Thoroughly recommended, and once I have recovered from the valve clearance service on my 899 I may well add one to the garage. I think this would be the perfect bike with the semi-rigid luggage for a weekend away in Scotland (nc500 kinda route).

Oh, I also liked the fact that it was simple, no TC, no electronics or modes other than ABS. I can confirm the ABS works :green gri .

Brilliant bike. Wonder how the nuts and bolts will stand up to a winter (seen a few pics of MT07's bolts looking very furry after a while).

RBW.

I liked the MT07 I was given for a few days when my Super Tenere was having a service (they did start my bike until late so ran out of time to complete the service and said keep the MT07 over the weekend).

That led to me getting the MT09 Tracer as a "one bike for everything". I'm commuting more on the bike now and the MT09 is a bit overkill for the 10 miles each way so I have thought about getting an MT07 Tracer next year to have a nice shiny new bike and getting something less sensible for trips to places where one is merely taxed if caught speeding rather than sent to jail. No idea what that 2nd bike is likely to be, mind.

I liked the MT07 I was given for a few days when my Super Tenere was having a service (they did start my bike until late so ran out of time to complete the service and said keep the MT07 over the weekend).

That led to me getting the MT09 Tracer as a "one bike for everything". I'm commuting more on the bike now and the MT09 is a bit overkill for the 10 miles each way so I have thought about getting an MT07 Tracer next year to have a nice shiny new bike and getting something less sensible for trips to places where one is merely taxed if caught speeding rather than sent to jail. No idea what that 2nd bike is likely to be, mind.

Keep the 9 . It does it all

I've got the RR for that . I know we rave about our own bikes but to me the 9 is light fast and an all year round bike . You can tour on it too . It makes me grin every time and I'm 50/50 which bike i take on opening the garage door

I've got the RR for that . I know we rave about our own bikes but to me the 9 is light fast and an all year round bike . You can tour on it too . It makes me grin every time and I'm 50/50 which bike i take on opening the garage door

Have you bothered to spend any dosh on the suspension on the 9 or did you find it ok? CMC Motorcycles were doing a fab deal on the 9 Tracer with taller screen, engine guards, lights and full Givi metal luggage (might have had heated grips too and possibly a bash plate ) all for £9999 with zero % finance . Fantastic deal.

The OP might want to consider that and still keep the 899 :thumb

Have you bothered to spend any dosh on the suspension on the 9 or did you find it ok? CMC Motorcycles were doing a fab deal on the 9 Tracer with taller screen, engine guards, lights and full Givi metal luggage (might have had heated grips too and possibly a bash plate ) all for £9999 with zero % finance . Fantastic deal.

No , the suspension has been fine for me , I'm up to 7000 miles now and feels ok still .

I've done a few mods though . PC V with the akrapovic seems to have made a difference as did the brembo pads which makes it stop so much better .

The Tracer 07 is £6.5, so my thinking is that this would make a great stable mate to the 899, dont see the need to look at the Tracer 09, as love the 07 engine. Cash buyer, although would take 0% if it was available, but wouldnt go for the 09 just because it has 0% (interest rates are derisory at the moment once you have exhausted the interest paying cheque accounts from Lloyds, TSB, Nationwide and Santander.)

Mentally I've decided that my financial limit in bikes is what a new RT top spec would cost (£16k ish without discount for top spec), so the 899 is worth around £9k, which leaves about £7k in the pot if I keep the 899. This is entirely arbitrary, but feel I should set some kind of limit on bike funds.

The Tracer was just such a fun bike, I can imagine hustling that on long journeys without the knee and neck pain I get on the 899 after about 4-500miles. Just need to think about the wind management as I suspect the touring screen wont make it any better (the standard screen on high settings is worse than on the low settings).

Got a 24 hour test ride of the Multistrada Enduro later this week, so may decide that that could be the one bike that does all, will have to see, as wouldnt want two Ducati's in the garage (having just paid for a valve clearance service for the 899 this week).

RBW.

Just got one.

Was gonna hold out for the new Tenere, which I'm still tempted by however I'm a road bike rider at heart and there is this deal at the mo with heated grips, heated comfort seat, belly pan, bigger screen, 12V socket and another tank bag to add to the collection so I gone and done it.

It's a lot of fun with oodles of capability, a bloody good all rounder that's very good value for money.

Hey Edvard, be really interested in what you think of it, especially the bigger screen (is it the Yamaha Touring one which has some convex curving ?).

I still havent dont anything other than procrastinated but still think the MT07 Tracer is a bargain. Like you I like the idea of the new T7 but also prefer road riding to anything else

RBW.

Hey Edvard, be really interested in what you think of it, especially the bigger screen (is it the Yamaha Touring one which has some convex curving ?).

I still havent dont anything other than procrastinated but still think the MT07 Tracer is a bargain. Like you I like the idea of the new T7 but also prefer road riding to anything else

RBW.

Yeah Yamaha touring screen will let you know how I get on with it as it wasn't on the demo bike I tried with the standard screen. That was OK btw with the usual caveat that for a taller rider like me windlfow is a bit buffety at speed, still, takes most of the blast off which frankly is good enough for me considering it's not a full dress tourer.

Light, flickable, lovely power delivery, zero leccies and has enough legs to do the distance stuff which I enjoy.

Will keep you posted.

Had an absolute ball with the Tracer today in filthy conditions it was the best wet weather ride I've had in years.

Torque everywhere, superb roadholding, great manoeuvrability.

Did a bit of town, a roads and b roads and a blast home on the motorway in the pissing sleet and darkness.

I'm well pleased its powerful enough and so bloody easy to handle it'll take me on a few adventures will this one.

The touring screen provides decent protection for this 6 3 rider however and is adjustable and largely turbulence free. In combination with the splayed out tank overall upper body weather protection is fair to good tho' these things are subjective so other riders may have a different experience.

Gripes?

Lights are average to poor and a couple of driving lights are on the cards.

Suspension is crashy on really rough surfaces but it's midly tweaked Mt-07 components so whatya expect? I can live with it most of the time it's fine.

The exhaust note is really rather bland and I might splash out on a can to give it a bit more pizazz.

Overall very pleased indeed.

Still pleased. Lovely motah and just an old school lightweight do it all machine, the perfect antidote to the very capable but heavy touring machines I use for long distance two up stuff. By inference above unless you and your passenger are sylph like I wouldn't recommend it for long distance two up stuff but an afternoon jaunt is fine. A much underated bike IMHO, bereft of any fancy electronic aids and all the better/lighter for it.

Bought a red one recently, enough power to be fun, but not so much that I'll easily get myself into bother. Got the comfort seat as the suspension felt really harsh with the standard one. The exhaust / intake noise is a bit bland, but liveable wit, just like the suspension. Off down to the south of France in a couple of weeks, so will be able to confirm how comfortable it is on a long journey.

Back
Top Bottom