Thruxton R test ride

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
So being off for a few days, getting into the swing of this stay-cation thing and looking for my next bike I decided to take out a Thruxton R today for a quick ride courtesy of those nice people at Pidcocks.

IMG_4404_zpsvcqlqcz9.jpg

I had tried the Bonneville T120 a couple of months ago, and whilst loved the bottom end torque on the bike, the top end didnt really excite (which Im sure isnt the point of the Bonneville).

The Thruxton also had the 'Cafe Racer' kit fitted that put clip on/lower bars, tidies up the rear, led indicators, and most importantly a Vance and Hines (triumph badge subtly on the end of the cans) exhaust.

Lovely bike, nice gearchange, great powerspread throughout the rev range. Tank seemed very narrow, and the cafe racer bars meant it was even sportier than normal so put a degree of weight on your wrists.

Couldnt really fault anything about the bike, sounded ace, went well, and handled without drama holding a nice line on corners easily without feeling your having to force it to turn.

Lovely bike, great character (especially with the Vance and Hines), and if I wanted a more sporty bike the Triumph would probably be at the front of the pack. As Im trying to find either an all rounder replacement or a stablemate for the 899 I have, I cant really see one in my near future.

Great bike, try one if you get a chance (if you like that sporty riding position) !

RBW.

:D Very funny...

I normally wear leathers, but this Dainese suit has removable panels with mesh in (the black on the front of my chest and on my back, and on the front of my legs is the mesh), and without the rain liner and thermal liner its probably nicer in the steaming hot weather than leathers. Looks a bit bulky though,without the two liners in (Im a tosser in training with a 34inch waist).

I did consider shorts, but they were in the wash :aidan .

RBW.

Was it cold out today!

34 inch waist.....that's normally a neck size around here....

Lovelly looking bikes and certainly on my list for concideration later when the used prices come down a bit.

The Thruxton R is the only bike out there that has caught my eye as a possible second bike for me - must test ride one when I can find the time away from riding the GS.

Picked up my Thruxton R on 1 Sept. Px'd a Bonneville T1 and its a v different bike. V torquey and smooth engine, great riding position on std bars and pretty quick tho not an out and out sports bike. Also looks great, though will be getting rid of the rear fender and considering the aftermarket bikini fairing to complete the look. Recommended. Goes alongside a 1200GSA and R1200RS, and have to say these are 3 totally different riding experiences so a great fit !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 699
Picked up my Thruxton R on 1 Sept. Px'd a Bonneville T1 and its a v different bike. V torquey and smooth engine, great riding position on std bars and pretty quick tho not an out and out sports bike. Also looks great, though will be getting rid of the rear fender and considering the aftermarket bikini fairing to complete the look. Recommended. Goes alongside a 1200GSA and R1200RS, and have to say these are 3 totally different riding experiences so a great fit !

That looks lovely, and the fairing does look the dogs.

Just need to work out if I can justify 3 in the garage...

RBW.

Nice

And you got the best colour :thumb2

Love mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 577
Did we get bigger or are big bikes getting smaller?
I vaguely remember when I thought I would need a beer crate to get up onto a 72 Commando.
That Triumph looks tiny

I vaguely remember when I thought I would need a beer crate to get up onto a 72 Commando.
That Triumph looks tiny

Maybe it's a long way away?

They aren't big - just beautifully proportioned! I took one out from Taunton Triumph a while ago for a quick run to Wellington and back. Crediton came and went followed by Oakhampton..... Cracking little bikes, would have one in a shot.

Fluff.

I rather like the Street Cup....but it'd be even nicer with the wire wheels and exhaust off the Trurxton.

Attachments

• 7F3FDAFB-9FFD-499D-8F0F-D05F5742EF04-9100-000007A0527723CE_tmp.jpg
    7F3FDAFB-9FFD-499D-8F0F-D05F5742EF04-9100-000007A0527723CE_tmp.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 415
That Triumph looks tiny

We started riding stupidly big bikes that now make normal bikes seem too small.

I include myself in this

It is

Small ... Especially after my GSA ... But great fun ... And looks fantastic :thumb2

Will be test riding a Thruxton R this weekend with a view to buying one.

I have read a number of reports on various Triumph forums about the engine stalling at low revs, changing down and blipping the throttle at low revs.

Anyone had any direct experience of this?

Test rode a Thruxton R today, loved it - great summer bike for posing with at the coffee shop :D great looks, great engine, plenty of grunt and nice handling, lovely - the engine cases and wheels might need a lot of polishing to keep them looking their best though.

P.S. It didn't stall when blipping the throttle on down changes at low revs.

Back
Top Bottom