My Route To R1150GS Ownership, And My First Impressions Now That I Have One

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Since I first saw the R1100GS hit the magazines, the GS has piqued my interest. I knew early on - mid-90s - that I'd probably own one some day. It was an oddball in a biking world then fixated on sports bikes, more often ridiculed (by anyone other than journalists) than praised. Obviously that changed... :eek:

I've always liked versatile bikes, rather than single-minded bikes. After finding my feet in the early 90s on an AR125 and CM125, I dallied with cruiser/custom type bikes (two Shadow 500s), which helped me realise that despite my notional aspirations and impression of what I thought I wanted from biking, they weren't for me - they handled like shite and I soon came to be a bit embarrassed about their posey nature.

Dull as they may have seemed, I would have bought a Kwak GT550 or GT750. But I instead got a Suzuki GSX750ET, which I really liked and would have kept but for the looming of a doomed-to-be-misspent year traveling in Greece, Oz & NZ. On returning home, I got an FJ1200. Kept it for 5 years, learned a bit more about speed and handling, dropped it a couple of times (fundamental lesson #1 - big straight-4 engines spin the back wheel very easily), and had it stolen. I got it back, but things weren't the same again, so I moved it on as a project for a few bob.

Kids arrived and that changed things. Then I briefly had a CB-1, followed by a FireStorm, which I'd have kept, but I got a goo to own a HiLux Surf and fart around off-road with that (which I did), so the FireStorm was sold to fund the Surf.

Still reading? Slow day I guess...

All through this time, I'd been buying bike magazines and keeping up with the GS's progress & development. Ewan & Charlie of course fueled my want, but the prices of GSs were always a Long Way Off (yep, that just happened :thumb) from what I might be able to afford. I've done a few miles over the last year on a GSX650F, which I can't say I like, but it served its purpose. The FJ & the FireStorm are two of the best bikes I've ever ridden.

Fast forward through a separation, a redundancy, a few tough years and a couple of career changes, and I find myself in early 2016 with the prospect of getting back onto bikes seeming quite viable. Thanks to some good fortune and determination despite knock-backs, I'm now the owner of a lovely 2002 1150 - the exact spec I'd been hoping to find (non-servo ABS, single-spark, no spline-alignment issues, well-kept, and not yellow). Well, the one I got is yellow, but the rest is good, and I'm not thick - colour can be accepted or changed. :thumb

I'm under pressure to repay people that have really helped me get where I am now, but it's all in hand and under control.

So after all this, what's my 1150 like? And what do I think of it?

It's fucking big. It's ponderous. I'm 5' 11", 32" inside leg. It's got lots of stuff on it and done to it that I'd otherwise have done myself. I love the engine sound (Remus can & Y). The handling is ridiculous - within maybe 20-30 miles I had confidence to really fling it around without feeling anything but confidence in it - and myself.

I did a leisurely 150km yesterday - my first proper spin since I got it a couple of weeks ago.

The negatives...

The seat is pretty hard. By the end of the ride, I was shifting about quite a bit to relieve my arse-pain. Perhaps the seat has just taken on Laurence's arse-shape, and either mine needs to conform to that, or the seat needs to conform to mine.

My right hand was numb after maybe 50km. So numb that when I went to use my front brake, I had diminished control. I resolved it pretty easily by shifting my hand out maybe 1/4-1/2 an inch, shifting the contact point from the crook of my thumb-index finger to the heel of my palm. No biggie, and to be fair, since breaking my arm in an off on the CM125 in 92, every bike has demanded some tweaking of my hand position on the grip to avoid this numbness.

The wind noise above 80-90kmh is enough to drown out the engine noise. This was one of the few rides I've ever done without earplugs, and highlighted why I always did, and will going forward. My helmet is an AGV Compact - I'm not under any illusion or delusion that this should be a quiet helmet. I tried 4 different adjustments of the screen extender Laurence had fitted to the bike, but none seemed very different to the others, so I'm hoping that earplugs will be the answer, at least until I save up for an end-of-line C3... :thumb There's no buffeting, just noise.

The power is slightly less than I'd expected. Opening the throttle does deliver a decent whoosh, but after my most recent (not-so-awesome) steed - the GSX - it's just slightly lacking.

The indicators will take some getting used to. In particular cancelling them - I seem to rev when my thumb reaches for the cancel button. I'll need to get on top of that in order eliminating lurching forward... :eek:

The positives...

The power is slightly less than I'd expected. Opening the throttle does deliver a decent whoosh, but after my most recent (not-so-awesome) steed - the GSX - it's just slightly lacking. Yep, I regard this as also being a positive. Speed limits and shitty weather mean that the GS's power - both the amount and its delivery - suits the real-world perhaps better than any other bike I've ridden. There's plenty to have fun, but not so much that you'll get yourself in trouble, either with the law or with the conditions.

The gear shift. Everything I'd read had me expecting false neutrals, crunchy/clunky changes, hammer-hitting-anvil first gear. I felt none of that. First is quiet, all other changes are a smooth positive snick - not what I was expecting at all. The torque-reaction on blipping on downshifts will take some getting used to. ;)

The riding position is very commanding. One thing I remember about my FJ was the feeling of being in the bike rather than on it. The GS doesn't share this, but I do still feel connected with it, rather than controlling it, if that makes any sense.

The presence - filtering through/around slow traffic (dip beam & driving lights on, white helmet), cars were pulling to the side very often to allow me a bit of room. Not something I remember observing as often on my other bikes.

The handling. Natural, confidence-inspiring, fluid, fun, surprising, easy... Everything the magazines & reviews said it was.

The heft & planted-ness. It's a solid mofo of an ocean cruiser. Some windy moments yesterday, and a few gusts did try to push the GS, but it didn't care. And that meant I didn't care.

The buzz. The Je ne sais quoi. Whether I've built myself up for GS ownership and am a little starry-eyed, I don't know, but despite the negatives - that seat could prove to be a serious one - I think I'm going to love this bike.

:thumb2

Attachments

• Bike 4.jpg
    Bike 4.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,103
  • FJ1200.jpg
    FJ1200.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,135
  • Bike 5.jpg
    Bike 5.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,210
  • DSC_2979 50.jpg
    DSC_2979 50.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,120
Last edited:
Hope you enjoy the GS. Personally I like the yellow ones. I agree about the seat. I bought a used Corbin - well worth it.

Very nice bike that, I do like the yellow, and no doubt very good value for money too :thumb2

I bought a sheepskin rug from Ikea, cut it to my required size, stitched on a couple of 2" elastic retaining straps and the seat became instantly good enough for 500 mile days. Cheap andsimple if you can thread a needle.:)

They are a cracking bike, just done over 4,500 miles in 17 days on mine (Russia & Finland), including a near 500 mile day. Switched the seat for a sergeant one which is more comfortable and sometimes sit on the pillion hump as its very soft. Fitted an adventure screen on torbinators for the noise/wind, fastway footpegs make distances more comfortable and used adjustable bar risers to move the bars up and back (takes the strain off my bad back and makes it more comfortable when standing up over rough ground). All in all I love the bike.

Couldnt help but smile regarding your comment on being able to throw it around.....the bike gang I hang out with all comment how much I sling the GS's about and how far over it goes. The funny thing is, it feels natural.

It's like a Weeble...

So it seems the screen & the seat aren't uncommon gripes.

I can live with the seat till I perhaps invest in a comfy replacement (prior to a long trip) - I'll just be doing spins of under 150-200km for a while. AFAIK, the big players are Sargent, Wunderlich, Touratech and Corbin?

Curious about the screen/noise. Before I spend any (more) money, I'd expect some tweaking of the extender - along with using earplugs - should improve things.

:thumb2

The seat problem can be easily solved by wearing cycling shorts that have the padded crotch. However...please be considerate to others MAMIL's are not a pretty site.

I think my 1150 has a taller givi screen, its still no where near as good as the standard GSA screen with tobinators. 70mph is quite comfortable to ride on the GSA with the jaw bone of my lid up and just the visor down.

It's worth spending cash to get the screen right.

It's important when deciding which screen/position suits you best to have a benchmark; on the GS this is achieved by removing the screen completely as the undisturbed airflow is what you are trying to replicate. Your choice of helmet, ear protection and hand protection will all have influence, so try and eliminate change when doing comparisons. For the ultimate in choice, get some Tobinators, they really do work, eventually.

ps - Always use earplugs.

When I had my 1150 the best screen I had was an MRA vario.....then I tried the MRA Xcreen that you have and this was better. The position I used was lower, with the arms extended out horizontal with the screen vertical. It changed the overall airflow and allowed buffet free riding.

I might be having a slow day, but it is an interesting story. Enjoy your new bike!
XBX

eh oop

I also have just pur chased an 1150gs.
I have similar views to an extent.
I had a 1100gs a few years ago. Quite hated it. Decided to have another go.
Huge, heavy, unwieldy.
Good road presence.
Tbh, at this point in time I am not gelling with it. I suppose it is not as rider friendly as a Jap bike. It is laden with panniers and a top box which may not help. I will put several miles on it this week, see how it goes. If nothing improves in a couple of weeks it may be up on here for sale, eek
Even er indoors said "why the furd did you buy another one of those"?

I also have just pur chased an 1150gs.
I have similar views to an extent.
I had a 1100gs a few years ago. Quite hated it. Decided to have another go.
Huge, heavy, unwieldy.
Good road presence.
Tbh, at this point in time I am not gelling with it. I suppose it is not as rider friendly as a Jap bike. It is laden with panniers and a top box which may not help. I will put several miles on it this week, see how it goes. If nothing improves in a couple of weeks it may be up on here for sale, eek
Even er indoors said "why the furd did you buy another one of those"?

They are a strange beast at first...but I seem to keep coming back to them...I thing I've had 3 1150's besides various other models :)

The seat problem can be easily solved by wearing cycling shorts that have the padded crotch. However...please be considerate to others MAMIL's are not a pretty site.

I think my 1150 has a taller givi screen, its still no where near as good as the standard GSA screen with tobinators. 70mph is quite comfortable to ride on the GSA with the jaw bone of my lid up and just the visor down.

It's worth spending cash to get the screen right.

Good idea. I'll keep an eye out in Lidl/Aldi.

When I had my 1150 the best screen I had was an MRA vario.....then I tried the MRA Xcreen that you have and this was better. The position I used was lower, with the arms extended out horizontal with the screen vertical. It changed the overall airflow and allowed buffet free riding.

Tried that today - worked well. Good call. :thumb

Biggest difference was from wearing ear plugs. Essential.

Following this with interest because I have had my oldest 150 for 14 years now - longest single day ride was up to the north coast of Denmark, from home in the Midlands. Clocked 1187 miles with only fiuel and natural break stops. I ate flapjacks at these stops and flask of coffee - it got me there in time for the ferry.

One way I extend the riding time without getting a numb bum is, instead of just sitting there and riding, put weight down on your feet, not enough to lift you out of the saddle, but to take say, 50% of your weight off your backside and onto your feet. Do it for a couple of minutes at a time, it builds your thighs up too! Makes a big difference. Fuel stops are 300 miles apart for me, loaded and I find that perfectly comfortable. I do 300 - 500 mile days several times a week, in the summer it can be as much as 2500 miles a week, just getting to and from work, which is all over the place. That was why I got the thing in the first place! I don't know of another bike that I could that kind of mileage on, AND afford to run.

Essentials changes on my 1150 were as far as I was concerned the bloody awful standard seat and the screen (MRA and Torbinators cured the latter ), on mine I had the suspension (GSA spec) refurbished at 42,000 miles with Hyperpro springs and the handling was transformed .

When I got my 1150 I was also running a couple of Japaneses bikes , one a gsx 1100 and the other a grey import 400 cc sports bike and the A to B times were always better on the BMW

Essentials changes on my 1150 were as far as I was concerned the bloody awful standard seat and the screen (MRA and Torbinators cured the latter ), on mine I had the suspension (GSA spec) refurbished at 42,000 miles with Hyperpro springs and the handling was transformed .

That's about it

On my 1150 GSA's i changed the seat to a Sargent, fitted the MRA Screen and fitted Ohlins suspension and the bike is much improved

However I rode a bog stock brand new 1100GS for 3 years and 35000 miles and never changed a thing

Handling on mine seems fine - my abilities are unlikely to test it to its max. :augie Perhaps I'll think differently if play off road a bit.

With earplugs and some screen tweaking, noise is now fine.

The seat issue will need to be addressed before any big trips.

Still not getting out as much as I'd like, but really enjoying it when I do. :thumb2

Airhawk is you friend makes the difference between agony after 100 miles to being able to do 500 miles plus days , I wouldn't care but BMW make superb pillion seats

Handling on mine seems fine - my abilities are unlikely to test it to its max. :augie Perhaps I'll think differently if play off road a bit.

With earplugs and some screen tweaking, noise is now fine.

The seat issue will need to be addressed before any big trips.

Still not getting out as much as I'd like, but really enjoying it when I do. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom