Anyone using a Power Commander?

Nutty

Reaction score
Before I go to Hilltop again, I'm wondering if a power commander would be a better option this time round?

I don't have any first hand experience with a PCV, so is it just plug and play, or will it still need to go on a dyno?

Any advice/ info would be helpful (obviously not from Engineer :p).

Try this company........... http://pdq1.com/

On their website look for the "Bike Selector" at the top of the page.

The chap that runs it is one of the top tuners in the UK. I've been to other companies that get their base maps from there.

There are some downloadable maps on their website for various exhaust combos inc akra full system. I seem to remember I've just gone with that in the past on the bike ran ok.

Nutty,

Just a thought, I had the hilltop done on my last LC GSA and I was happy with it, will his mapping need tweaking at his end for the E4 bikes that we have now.

The chap that runs it is one of the top tuners in the UK. I've been to other companies that get their base maps from there.

So they set it up, post it to you, and it's just plug and play with nothing else needed (no dyno)?

Nutty,

Just a thought, I had the hilltop done on my last LC GSA and I was happy with it, will his mapping need tweaking at his end for the E4 bikes that we have now.

That's a good point. I'll see what he says.

I know that there are companies much closer to us that can offer something for the GS, I'd like to hear what people think about the other alternatives.:thumb

Rich - two things to think about:

1) There was a dyno curve published on here after a full power commander set up - think it was Delboy's. Go find it and compare it to what folk get at Hilltop

2) I took the Hilltopped LC to local dynojet/power commander set up near here and they stuck it on their dyno (I didn't tell em what I'd had done to it). They couldn't believe how good the fuelling and torque curves were and said there was no way they could improve on it

Get yourself to Earl Shilton, but stay away from the Thai ladies in the local hotel if you stay over ;):D

As far as I know, you'll need a dyno run.

I've had bikes in the past with a power commander. I've downloaded maps but I've always had a better result with a dyno run. Every bike, all be it the same model, are different so one map will do all as a base map but needs tweaking to get the perfect result.

Best bet IMO would be to phone them and have a chat.

Rich - two things to think about:

1) There was a dyno curve published on here after a full power commander set up - think it was Delboy's. Go find it and compare it to what folk get at Hilltop

2) I took the Hilltopped LC to local dynojet/power commander set up near here and they stuck it on their dyno (I didn't tell em what I'd had done to it). They couldn't believe how good the fuelling and torque curves were and said there was no way they could improve on it

Get yourself to Earl Shilton, but stay away from the Thai ladies in the local hotel if you stay over ;):D

Looks like my attempts at being lazy have backfired, so I'll tootle off to see Geoff and his ladyboys.:eek::D

PCV KN filter Akra header and Akra end can red curve
PCV KN filter Akra header and OEM end can blue curve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,193
Before I go to Hilltop again, I'm wondering if a power commander would be a better option this time round?

I don't have any first hand experience with a PCV, so is it just plug and play, or will it still need to go on a dyno?

Any advice/ info would be helpful (obviously not from Engineer :p).

Helloooooooo :)

Try these people as an alternative.

http://bsd.uk.com

PDQ in Taplow are good, they stuck a PCV on my old 990 Adv and Dyno'd it with good results.

The PCV I fitted to my last TC also worked a treat, they're incredibly easy to fit and you can mess around with the map via a connected laptop or just download one and upload it by clicking on one icon. Results also very good and as/when you change anything about the bike you just update the PC.

I have a PCV on a 2008. It's good but I got it used. If paying full price I'd have an AF-XIED.

Sent somehow.

Too many cables and connectors with the PCV. Could never keep the damp out of the TPS plug on my TC which causes all sorts of problems.
Anything which means disconnecting the O2 sensors, means you're losing the adaptability of the ECU. That means that it'll be great the day you get it dyno'd and gradually go out of tune as the engine wears, temperature changes, fuel changes, etc.
It's old technology now.
Get a hilltop remap or, better still, fit a pair of AF XiED units.
You know it makes sense. :rolleyes:

Good guys down at PDQ, used to live just round the corner from them..

PCV are all well and good but still need a Dyno run to get the best from them as far as i know.

How does a PCV adjust for altitude etc having once been set at a certain atmospheric pressure ? IDK but at least Hilltop adjusts accordingly using the bikes sensors etc or so they claim

The other downside is that they are there as physical evidence of tuning should there ever be an insurance issue !

Oh and what does it do to the emissions ?? :D

Back
Top Bottom