USA Mountains & Canyons 2016 - The Pillion Perspective

Trip Day 7 – Sunday 21st August

An early start today to get in to Arches National Park before the crowds and the heat of the day.

A stunning welcome from the Three Gossips and the Courthouse towers

P1010410_zpsy8jp83gk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And so unfolded a geological feast of rock.......

Some which required imagination to see why it was so named...

Parade of Elephants

P1010480_zpsitt3ulo3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And some which didn't....

Balanced Rock

P1010428_zpsijt7q3qi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The North Window

P1010445_zpssq77epjj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And the view through the other side.

P1010458_zpsefzyvtfo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Turret Arch

P1010451_zpskf5mh8cr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Delicate Arch

P1010487_zpsd2e9jrfw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And the more delicate (in my opinion) Landscape Arch

P1010516_zps2khhfln3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's about a 40 mile ride round the park and the arches are spread out across the area, with some great riding in between.

P1010494_zpsxm7sgg2d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010499_zpszcq9wdck.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After an afternoon of R&R we decided to have a quick jaunt round the La Sal Mountains in order to see some greenery and some stunning distant views of Castle Valley.

P1040508_zpsdb8cbpur.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040503_zpsznw1youz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Even though we are less than 20 miles away from Moab and the arid canyons and sandstone desert, the mountains are high and it's raining at the top.

P1040515_zpsd1uowxji.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040518_zpsceem0osm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The resident road block seem quite content though :)

P1040519_zpswcp9sl5p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trip Day 8 – Monday 22nd August

It’s Monday morning and we are off to the Rocky Mountains of Colorado…not a bad start to the week! There’s a change in the weather though…it’s much cloudier today and there is a forecast of rain in the mountains.
We leave the heat of the Canyonlands riding out through the La Sal Forest past the Hole In The Rock House.

P1040521_zpsn4sgcimm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We cross into Colorado and ride through the sparsely populated Paradox Valley basin – vaguely reminiscent of the roads of Nevada.

P1040538_zpsiyjs5bug.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040541_zpsavgz36bp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally, stopping for breakfast in Norwood, at the aptly named Happy Belly Deli.

P1040557_zpsyvbg27p9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I’ve seen it’s a ride report essential to put a nice car (or lorry) picture into your ride report where possible .… so here’s my contribution from the streets of Norwood. A Ford Fairlane....

P1040558_zpsfkprlaiy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1040559_zpstk12wxxw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As we start to get towards the mountains near Telluride, the storm clouds are starting to gather.

P1040578_zpsnsuzbnur.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We stop for lunch and have a bit time to explore the sights & sounds of Telluride town. It's typical of a wealthy ski resort...a bit trendy and quite expensive. It's popular with the celebs,and the likes of Tom Cruise have houses in the area...

P1040597_zpsqzmqmxi4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1040600_zpsp0nadwrq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1040603_zpsbbpbq0sf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Keith has decided he posibly wants a sheepskin to improve bike seat comfort & we find a suitable shop selling all manner of leather and hides - and a fine range of Davey Crocket hats.....

P1040602_zpsdtx1myf6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sure enough, the rain starts as we leave town

P1040604_zpsrezjt6f3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

..... but we’ve missed the worse of the storm. Further up the road, we hit a queue of stationary traffic – but it’s not caused by the road works we passed through earlier, it’s due to a landslip caused by the storm. Once we are allowed to pass, we realise we’ve been lucky to miss it. The verges are white with hailstones, and the river running alongside the road looks like bubbling hot chocolate.

We have to cross the mountains on the Million Dollar Highway passing through the old mining town of Ouray to reach our overnight destination, Silverton. We are going to catch up with the rain…. It’s not the sort of road that is as enjoyable in the wet, but some stunning views, none the less.

P1040613_zpsbttceku8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1040617_zpsjafj5cm5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1040625_zpspfenaow3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1040640_zpsitdbwvgq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We finally arrive at our digs for the evening, the traditional looking ‘Canyon View Motel’

P1040664_zpsqf1ydk0o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What’s amazing about Silverton is that it’s hummingbird central… they are buzzing around everywhere, as common as sparrows, and are not in the least bit bothered by us; They are just keen to get to the nectar feeders that are hung up around the building – which means I can get some good pics of these beautiful, little birds. I always associate them with warmer climes and it's incredible to think they survive a Rocky Mountain winter.

P1040651_zpsjpjkanwe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1040659_zpsbrzn3idk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

To round the day off, the sun comes out too… so after quickly unpacking, we head into town to explore.

P1040668_zpsjb4cghtn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It’s a great little town and a shame that we are only here for one night.

P1040679_zpsknvpuqcu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1040695_zpskwai2aly.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's home to the highest Harley shop in the world!?

P1040678_zpslphy9z0i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And has an interesting approach to public toilets...

P1040701_zpscg4saanz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well, I thought the ride here was a bit grim at times in the rain…but it could have been a hell of a lot worse – at least I didn’t have to run here from Telluride! :eek:

P1040706_zpssyyzsgrf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Trip Day 9 – Tuesday 23rd August

It’s a misty start this morning, as we set out into the low cloud across the mountains.

P1040708_zpslpelv5dx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040715_zps540n14nc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We stop at the Molas Pass viewpoint (10,899ft) to look out across the valley

P1010586_zpse78l3gng.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010588_zpsphdslubk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Heading down out of the mountains towards Durango,

P1040721_zpsogxg4j6s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We stop for for a long awaited breakfast stop at the Bakery Café in Mancos. From Mancos, we head out across the valley towards Mesa Verde National Park.

P1040732_zps4kbeqx4r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Mesa looks quite small as we approach...

P1040741_zpsnfgtnsm9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Once up on the Mesa, we stop at the Montezuma Valley viewpoint and can see the thunderstorms rolling in across the valley below.

P1040747_zpsxedwpqok.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Believe it or not this was the road into the park, around the aptly named Knife Edge Peak, until 1957 when a tunnel was built through into the canyon.

P1040749_zpshl1rcolq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040753_zpsxem03fm9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We were last to leave the viewpoint and the plan was to ride along through the park, hopefully before the storms arrive...stopping off to look at the ancient dwellings of the ancestral pueblo people or Anasazi as they are called by the Navajo, who inhabited this canyon in arount AD550

P1040760_zps85whmpfw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010593_zpsws4dotls.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We thought we’d easily catch up with everyone else, but after peeling off to view the amazing Cliff Palace we don’t see the rest of the group again!

P1010599_zpsp8byf2n5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's incredibly well preserved when you consider how old it is....

P1010594_zps9qfdfzxn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

By the time we leave, the thunderclouds have made their way to into canyon. We decide that everyone else must have headed out of the park to avoid the rain and so we follow suit. We start to head out across the darkening skies of Montezuma Valley towards Shiprock, past some impressive eroding sandstone mesa

P1040769_zpst32ixmyb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040774_zpswgalyf2o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

but the sky does not look promising as we enter New Mexico….

P1040782_zpspipkt7yy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We hope that the storm will have passed by the time we get there, but increasingly it doesn’t look good. We start to wonder how bad this is going to be when the large truck we were following pulls over to the roadside. The lightening is getting more frequent…there’s no shelter, just an endlessly straight road into oblivion! :eek:

Storrn_zpsgwbvfpbd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We have no option but to continue and hope that something will appear further along the road where we can take safe shelter…. the rain starts, and soon turns torrential, a car overtakes our now steady pace and it’s like a bucket of water has been thrown over us as it passes. The road starts to flood and we are riding through water a foot deep as we finally see signs of Shiprock town ahead. We cross the bridge over the San Juan river and the water is running like a river downhill towards us… there’s a Burger King across the road but it’s too scary to contemplate crossing 4 lanes of traffic, not able to see where the gaps are in the central reservation, but just a little further we see another local burger bar. Relieved, we pull into the car park and dash inside.

The place is empty except for an old Indian in with long, grey braids, wearing a check shirt. He just stares at us like we are from another planet… he doesn’t smile or speak (we find out later this is quite normal for the Native Americans…). Paul true to form, decides that eating is the best option and goes for a hot dog…I don’t feel at all hungry, but opt to order a hot chocolate for some comfort. There are a couple of guys in hoodies hanging around outside under the canopy, all adding to the friendly ambience of the place… maybe they’re the local dealers? Paul doesn’t like the fact he can’t see the bike from the window…

After a few minutes of staring at the endless rain, a Mexican guy wearing a large cowboy hat walks in, thankfully he’s a jolly chap called Ray and so the mood lightens as he engages us in the usual conversation about where we are from, heading to, etc. He tells us that he’s a farmer and that it’s the start of the monsoon season (who knew there were monsoons in New Mexico??) and that he welcomes the rain for his crops. Paul shoots off to the gents, before his hot dog arrives and Ray picks up his coffee. At this point he says to me ‘I don’t want to alarm you ma’am, but there’s people around here who’ll try to take advantage of good folks like you… and I don’t just mean the Hispanics, the native folks too. When you leave here, stay on the main road and whatever you do, do not turn off or stop in any of the side streets. Well, as far as I’m concerned, he couldn’t have said anything more alarming at this point! :eek::eek:
(This is start of a script for a good horror movie…) He then bids me farewell and to have a good day!

Paul emerges from the restrooms and I try to discretely convey this message whilst under the endless gaze of the old Indian… Paul takes one bite of his hot dog and by the time I’ve finished the message it’s in the bin (this is serious stuff!) and we are off. I decide I have to visit the restrooms before we leave – not wanting to have to pull up, further up the road for obvious reasons…
We head back into the rain, which now seems insignificant in the scheme of things, and there’s another native American making a bee line to us asking for change…. He gets short shrift from Paul, and we leap on the bike and ride off into the rain, which has eased a little and the road is not so flooded. As we drive out of town towards the Shiprock which looms eerily in the distance, I see why Ray gave his warning about not turning of the road. Alongside the main highway, there’s a large reservation, which looks most uninviting with the usual ramshackle buildings and derelict cars littered all over the place. I find it quite sad and depressing that this is the home and life of the ‘native american’ and this, in particular, the proud Navajo nation. My ‘romantic view’ of the Red Indian is now in tatters… :(

We turn off the freeway a few miles out of town and drive past the ghostly Shiprock itself. It’s quite impressive, and probably wouldn’t be so evocative on a nice sunny day. Unfortunately, I didn’t take any photos as it was still raining quite heavily.
The rain did finally stop as we headed out of the valley and over the mountains into the red valley and Thunderbird Lodge at Chinle, our destination for the evening.

P1040793_zpsspdlna51.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040798_zpsdxsh3ro4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thunderbird Lodge is run by the Navajo and is situated right next to the Canyon de Chelly, their sacred ancestral home. We catch a glimpse of the canyon as our GPS tries to navigate us to the hotel, ‘the long way round’, along a dirt road, through another reservation! As the mental scars of the events of a few hours ago are still raw, we pull over at a viewpoint to look into the Canyon and try to work out an alternative route.

P1040806_zpsaem0nxiq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It seems that as soon as we stop anywhere, Indians emerge from the undergrowth and try to sell us all manner of trinkets…but at least they are not trying to robs at gun point, or whatever else Farmer Ray was eluding to earlier…. Paul is not in the mood for buying however, and so we drive back down the road and finally find that we’ve driven past the entrance to Thunderbird Lodge. We are the first to arrive! We check in and try to chill out and dry out our gear…. whilst hanging soggy gloves outside, Paul is approached by another young Indian lad who offers him a necklace. This happens several more times throughout the evening, as soon as Paul emerges from the room….he has ‘one of those faces’, as I’ve said earlier..

Finally, the rest of the group arrive having taken a totally different route to avoid the rain and they’ve visited Four Corners National Park in order to hold a press up competition over the four states of Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Utah…

AH%204%20Cnrs_zpsuxwml4uf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DH%204%20crnrs_zpssgsgbxbv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

but looking at the photo of Chris, he’s taken it a stage further and is apple bobbing! I think he won the competition...

CB%204%20Cnrs_zpsvdumdhup.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We all meet up for the evening meal in the hotel restaurant, which turns out to be more like a school canteen run by some rather stern, unsmiling Native American dinner ladies. The famous US services culture does not extend to its’ oldest inhabitants…

Great pics again Sam, especially the one with the lightning strike and those storms were amazing!

It's a disgrace about the reservations and the way Native Americans have been treated over the years. The Navajo are a very proud and quiet people and seeing them having to sell tat to tourists to scratch a living is terrible.

I'm confused. There seem to be plenty of other people & bikes on the trip yet no additional photos/commentary. Wha' 'appen? :nenau

I'm confused. There seem to be plenty of other people & bikes on the trip yet no additional photos/commentary. Wha' 'appen? :nenau

Bill, this is the pillion perspective....not the rider perspective - that was very different :rolleyes:.... you'll have to make do with my version of events!:blagblah :p

Trip Day 10 – Wednesday 24th August

It’s an early start today – we are going Adventure Hiking! It’s a cool start, especially for a ride out in your hiking gear, but Tilly Hat & shorts is essential for adventure hiking…

P1010603_zpsiaa8ibpf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We are off to the Canyon de Chelly, sacred home of the Navajo. We arrive without any interjections from the natives, who are nowhere to be seen at this early hour. The cloud forms a white blanket over the canyon.

P1010604_zps5fwyjyao.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Only one route into the Canyon, the White House Ruin Trail, is open to unaccompanied hikers, all other access requires a Navajo guide.

P1010606_zps4whtfkam.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Our guide is Sgt Bilco….we follow him, descending 600ft down below the clouds, along the 1.2mile trail to the canyon floor.

P1010608_zpsvgmyads8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The canyon is rich in history; home to the ancient Anasazi since AD300, then inhabited by the Hopi before they moved out onto the mesas and were succeeded by the Navajo. In 1864 the Navajo had a final standoff with Kit Carson and the US Army in the canyon before being forced, along with the Apache, on the ‘Long Walk’ to be resettled and ‘civilised’ on reservations in New Mexico – if they made it…hundreds died. They were treated horrifically including such delights as being given blankets dosed with plague.

Indian braves who refused to surrender threw themselves from the cliffs……

P1010615_zpsyyaedzzi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The White House ruins are incredibly well preserved and there also numerous murals and paintings on the surrounding walls.

P1010618_zpsrkmky66o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As we leave, a local Navajo is just setting out his wares on a small table next to the trail. He doesn’t harass us and we stop for a chat - his name is Andrew and he tells us about the jewellery he has made… Several of us buy a necklace :augie
The trail out is just here somewhere…

P1010623_zpsoafukhfv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The sun has burnt the cloud blanket away and the view of the canyon is stunning.

P1010625_zpsfckiiwpm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The Adventure Hikers set off up the road to see the famous Spider Rock.

P1010641_zpsnrhqwcsr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

But not this way! Locals only here I think....

P1010650_zpsoxyam163.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Spider Rock is home to the Spider Grandmother – she lives in the taller of the two towers. According to Native American mythology, she was responsible for the stars in the sky; she took a web she had spun, laced it with dew, threw it into the sky and the dew became the stars.

P1010637_zpsbvabtfhi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Communication has moved on from smoke signals for the modern day Indian…

P1040809_zpszz1lhnmz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Time to make our way to the next Navajo site, Monument valley. The roads are long and straight…

P1040811_zpsclilsqec.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040816_zpsayb0ijll.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back into Utah....getting closer.

P1040848_zpswxfigcb5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This iconic view needs no introduction.

P1010658_zpsqtsjjsty.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We park up & head off for photo opportunities, visiting the museaum and standing where John Wayne once did to look out over the valley after a days filming...

P1010669_zps5nml3hm7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010664_zpsoboekany.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010668_zpslq3cooih.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It’s a real shame the bikes are no longer allowed on the road through the valley....I'd love to ride through it listening to big western movie themes...

P1010666_zps0vbknxtt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As we leave, we stop where Forrest Gump did, to look back at the iconic view one final time before heading to our overnight destination Mexican Hat which is just a few miles up the road.

P1040866_zpseom6qvou.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040865_zpsom4rdhjb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Despite being desperate to plunge into the hotel pool, we shoot off after dumping our luggage for a 20 mile off road excursion around the Valley of The Gods. They pool wins as first choice for everyone else…

IMG_1565_zpsz9pkiux8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

but I think when they see these pics they’ll wish they’d come with us….

P1040887_zpsu0sykxvo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040914_zpsh2peam7s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A mini Monument Valley all to ourselves!

P1040894_zpsmhwoopwf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040916_zpswfyyugan.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040918_zpsb6dosjvs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040906_zps7i6isvfz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We finally return to the Hat Rock Inn for a quick dip in the pool, followed by a swinging steak before bed!

IMG_1411_zpsq3esl8uf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1413_zpsivvieixy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040946_zps2nitor45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040943_zpsao2ywh45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For those not familiar here's the OP with her chauffeur on the 395 passing Crowley Lake, CA ..... only later found the camera lens needed cleaning :mad:

Attachments

• P1090031.jpg
    P1090031.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 568
Trip Day 10 – Wednesday 24th August

It’s a real shame the bikes are no longer allowed on the road through the valley....I'd love to ride through it listening to big western movie themes...

P1010666_zps0vbknxtt.jpg

Since when? I rode through in June this year...:duno

It's spectacular waking up to this view of Monument Valley if you can manage to book a room in The View Hotel :cool:

dfbddad24f02507257012e558923fcb1.jpg

42aad8dbc4f20021dc7aaebe843a9e81.jpg

84c0b1190e0e09e64cbfa0a3f1027311.jpg

Since when? I rode through in June this year...:duno

They wouldn't let us ride through there that's for sure. The ranger was quite adamant that no bikes allowed around the park. I did get round there in 08 on a Harley which was fun in the sand and a few of us did it in 2010 on more "ahem" suitable machinery.

They wouldn't let us ride through there that's for sure. The ranger was quite adamant that no bikes allowed around the park. I did get round there in 08 on a Harley which was fun in the sand and a few of us did it in 2010 on more "ahem" suitable machinery.

The only time I wasn't allowed was when they were recovering from a week of heavy rain back in 2004 - they were only letting 4x4s use it then. I've ridden Monument Valley on every other occasion I've visited it - and that tends to be every time I visit the USA :D

i-f2z3TgG-L.jpg

Random picture from the bike - 25th June 2016...

Trip Day 11 – Thursday 25th August

We're off before sunrise today, passing the Mexican Hat rock formation.

P1040947_zpsmjg8q7yd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is what it looked like in the sunshine yesterday.

P1040940_zpsgtzlhfba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We are approaching the Moki Dugway, a 3 mile dirt road which climbs 1100ft up to the top of Cedar Mesa above the valley of The Gods. It was constructed in 1958 by the Texas Zinc mining company, to transport uranium ore from the "Happy Jack" mine in Fry Canyon, to the processing mill in Mexican Hat.

P1040952_zpskt46ubau.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040964_zpsxsvlk7mv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040974_zpse645amhd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stunning views back out across the valley below.

P1010674_zps5fo22j4h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010678_zpsd5tqbwu5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The tree covered Cedar Mesa – so different to the tree barren valley below. This plateau catches all the rain emptying the clouds before they hit the desert below. We dodge round a few showers.

P1040979_zpscnuv296t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On our way through the remote but beautiful Fry Canyon.

P1040983_zpseegz7lfl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040985_zpszib7jng9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040989_zpspwenyobw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1040996_zpsqq7l6ror.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050002_zpsflyhtfl4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050007_zpsjtobyh1h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050019_zpsent3ckxu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050020_zpsdtx6vx8m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050033_zpsifcx8roo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Breaking Bad....it is very remote out here....

P1050039_zpsv8k95jlu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050036_zpson7ylmy8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050047_zpspdxhdht8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050054_zpssc0jtjca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050057_zpsd8q2pmof.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We stopped at the Hite Overlook which looks out over the eastern end of Lake Powell – which isn’t looking much like a lake here at this moment in time. This is the ‘back side’ of the Canyonlands that we visited a week earlier.

P1010694_zpssipxl1nw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010696_zpsl8ilirni.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The bridge crosses the Dirty Devil River just before it merges with the mighty Colorado river which was damned up at the southern end of Glenn Canyon to form Lake Powell in 1963. Some say that Glenn Canyon, which was flooded as a result of the damn, was more spectacular than the Grand Canyon but it was so remote that nobody really knew about it. There were protests against the damn but they were unsuccessful. This short film shows how stunning it was pre-flooding. http://video.nationalgeographic.com...desert-goddess-remembers-arizonas-glen-canyon

P1010695_zpsz2y8lqnq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

On our way again...

P1050060_zpscxva7rfc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

P1050066_zpsizzljm2o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050070_zpswtubcyrd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We leave the Glenn Canyon Area and head our across the desert. The rock is slowly starting to change colour.

P1050079_zps4auh8uh1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We stop at Blondies in Hankville for a long awaited breakfast.

P1050081_zps5ffsryjt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Heading out across the desert towards Capitol Reef National Park. The landscape is changing again…

P1050089_zpse1hrbviv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050091_zpsd3w2n8q0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050097_zpsrdco8unf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Apparently the Mars research station is located the other side of these hills.

P1050102_zpsdsvf3frn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050103_zpsn3n159jn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It looks very much like we are on another planet....

P1050107_zpsdxhbaye3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050108_zps8qmfamng.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The clouds are gathering as we head towards Capitol Reef

P1050111_zpsvmyfdv96.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The rock changes back to red sandstone along Red Canyon in Capitol Reef.

P1050122_zpseh3xf1fj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050127_zpsaxlc9xbb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050128_zpswqtxueed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050132_zpsoqoqoknt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050134_zpsei0z4g6j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Leaving Captol Reef we are catching up with the storms...

P1050138_zpsuwrcghht.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We leave Capitol Reef towards Escalante, the Grand Staircase, and ride highway 12 along the ridge - and another rock colour change....amazingly we've driven around the storms - for the moment...

P1050142_zpszx6hc3e7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050144_zpsfrfepivu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050145_zpsriqkfckv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050146_zpsl9qadtlf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1050152_zpshn7ft07d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The thunderstorms are looming in the direction of Bryce Canyonnow, just where we are heading!

P1050154_zpsjaif4blf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Despite the rain, Bryce Canyon is still stunning. The dark skies illuminating the pink rocks.

P1010699_zpsli3ehkwk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010703_zpsazhwi7we.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010711_zpsylcvj87c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom