2000 km in 18 hours

Some people can do the mileage some cant or wont, in September myself and a colleague went to the gathering at Ullapool we left Dartford at midnight and arrived at 4pm Friday 630 miles in 16 hours.
Before that two RBLR 1000 rides within 24 hours http://www.ironbutt.co.uk/rblr1000.php and one end to end gold which is 1000 miles via St Davids head all with the IBAUK.
I can understand the initial reaction to a ride of that distance but it is not as difficult as you might think.

Nice one Patz, hats off to you. Used to love doing that sort of thing. Sadly, a dodgy ticker and needing a piss every 2 hrs has put paid to that.

Sitting on the couch could me tired, but never on the motorcycle. My co-pilot is the same.
I am looking at the mild weather and thinking a perfect time for a round trip to the CDS.
I look at my RR and think I want to be there again.
We did it in December - Jan in 08 and encountered snow.

Anyone up for it? 5000km in 2 weeks?
I went to Dracula's Castle in one week(back in August) I'm in a process to engineer similar journey for August 2017...

FWIW I think big miles isn't necessarily an indication of a big day. Hours in the saddle is the true indicator IMO. Sometimes you can easily knock out 500 miles before lunch on motorways with convenient fuel and quick turnarounds, but sometimes you might be struggling on small slow roads or through huge cities or in biblical rain or snow and it will be a much more difficult and longer day. Sometimes it can take 10 hours to travel 200 miles, and that's not because of anything other than the conditions. I think it's like work. Some people spend hours pissing about, going to the toilet, making coffee, chatting, looking at their phone, surfing the web. Some people get their head down and get on with it. One will get a shed load done and the other won't make a dent in their work. Same with big miles. You can spend time pissing about or drinking or eating or chatting or whatever, or you can turn it around in 10 minutes and get going. Different strokes for different folks.

FWIW I think big miles isn't necessarily an indication of a big day. Hours in the saddle is the true indicator IMO. Sometimes you can easily knock out 500 miles before lunch on motorways with convenient fuel and quick turnarounds, but sometimes you might be struggling on small slow roads or through huge cities or in biblical rain or snow and it will be a much more difficult and longer day. Sometimes it can take 10 hours to travel 200 miles, and that's not because of anything other than the conditions. I think it's like work. Some people spend hours pissing about, going to the toilet, making coffee, chatting, looking at their phone, surfing the web. Some people get their head down and get on with it. One will get a shed load done and the other won't make a dent in their work. Same with big miles. You can spend time pissing about or drinking or eating or chatting or whatever, or you can turn it around in 10 minutes and get going. Different strokes for different folks.

...yup I agree with that.

Big miles are an 'each to there own thing' - I can understand why some like to take there time but for me I start a journey and I enjoy just cracking in with it and things like fuel stops are something to plan with stop & go effectivness in mind because you don't want to lose time gained through putting in those neat overtakes and in town filtering.

My Mum lives 300 miles away in Cornwall, I like picking a direct straight line'ish route and doing it non stop thanks to the GSA tank size.

It's a state of mind thing.
I like riding and both of my bike are comfy. I have good quality kit and use doctor iPod if the roads are dull
Personally I probably am most relaxed on the bike - so a long distance day is a pleasure not a challenge.
E.g. Calaise to Pyrenees avoiding motorways in one very pleasurable day. Arrived relaxed and happy.

Uttoxeter to Belaggio in one hit - Calais ferry for swiftness and shortest ferry route (cheapest!) - on my old RS100 with dodgy 1980s brakes and skinny tyres. The saddle was as frogiving as a park bench too.Went down on the Friday, did the jb Saturday (Classic boat rally) and dinner at Villa d'Este (I wasn't paying) and then rode home Sundy. Left Sunday after breakfast, was home in my bed by 03.00 :aidan

I've done a couple of 1,000 mile days before but I don't like riding in the dark so usually stop early. I'll be a bit lost now I've jacked in smoking because I often did long runs working on 200 miles, stop for petrol and have a smoke and a coffee then crack on for another 200 which always suited me perfectly. Fair play to anyone who can grind out longer hours but those days aren't for me.

The CBX looks great, well done. It looks like despite its being a tank you don't hang about, but.... filtering a CBX through Milan traffic ? You may as well have been in a Mondeo with the width of it ?

So no photos then ?

Lovely bike !

I did Calais to Gibraltar in 24 hours...just over 2100km on an rf900...
but I was younger and didn't want to do it..had to....
death in the family....no flights available and in spain they put them in the ground the day after they cop it...
took me 3 days to get back....

Back
Top Bottom