briancon to grenoble Sept 2016 still closed?

Gary M

Reaction score
hi all,

I am currently in savines le lac heading north next couple of days.

anyone gone briancon grenoble recently? I saw that they had opened a temp road south of lac du chambon where the tunnel failed, but no recent reports. there's even a video on YouTube of someone doing the temp road in a car. only asked one local so far (will ask some more tomorrow) and they said still blocked. had thought it would be open...

Gary.

Not recently, but I did it in March no problem. A slow and narrow temp road bit well and truly open. It's ropey in places but they did well to get it in place.

I heard from a mate who did it on a bike without problems in August.

OK thanks gonzo.

I'll report back with any further info.

1091 backup route open without restriction
The backup route du Chambon, RS1091, is open again, day and night without restriction.

Following the collapse of an embankment downstream of the floor of the RS in 1091, the Department carries out reinforcement works since 25 Févrie r . This work, carried out at night, imposed until nighttime closures of the backup route. These fermtures were originally scheduled until March 25 inclusive. The work continues without obstructing traffic Given the good progress reinforcement of, they are continuing, but it is now without obstructing traffic drivers. From today the backup route is open day and night without restriction. Independently of this work, occasional closures may occur for of road exploitation reasons: preventive triggering of avalanches, snow etc ... 84 000 vehicles borrowed the backup route since it opened on 24 November.

Near the dam wall there is a one way traffic system. Take it slow on the road, it is narrow with lots of blind bends. Stop to take a photo at the dam wall as the colour of the water is unusual.

Was over the bye-pass on south side of lake two weeks ago. OK for bikes and small vehicles. V undulating, narrow and twisty with many blind corners and crests but perfectly do-able with care and saves lots of kms

how's the road surface on the new bit? tarmac? gravel?

It's all tarmac, a bit iffy in places but OK. Do not be dissuaded by the road signs, a bike will be OK

It's all tarmac, a bit iffy in places but OK. Do not be dissuaded by the road signs, a bike will be OK

Thanks Jim..nothing like a bit of local knowledge....but what are you doing down there again when you should be tucked up with a glass of Horlicks..

If only they had had that route open when we needed it!! Is there any prospect of the tunnel being re-opened?

Welcome to the site as well..

I'll need to tell you about my new LC now....it was your fault really....you sneaked up with yours & I couldn't bear the thought of having the oldest bike in the hotel car park AGAIN.....

yes nothing to report in the end because I eventually I took the gap road n85 to grenoble and not the briancon road due to a slight time constraint. gap road looked a little quicker. hope to do it next time! I'm sure the comments here about it being open and perfectly passable are accurate. cheers all for chipping in.

That's a shame. Whilst the Gap road's quite nice the Briancon - Grenoble stretch is one of my favourite drives to a ski resort. Beatiful, especially coming from Briancon.

Back
Top Bottom