Picos experts needed for trip in 4 weeks

Riano is rubbish, the roads too and from are worth riding though :)

Agreed, Riano itself, as a new village built to replace the villages flooded when the dam and reservoir were created, is soulless. However, the setting is wonderful and the roads to and from eg to Potes and Cosgaya are superb.

It's got lots own car park off the main road, never had any worries leaving bike parked as it's quite sheltered

Does have a small underground garage which I have used in the past when it's been wet, but generally no problem just leaving the bike in the car park. I've seen others chaining the rear wheel to those railings

Ferry booked for Tues 25th Portsmouth to Santander and back on 1st Nov from Bilboa (times were better). Looking forward to putting the recommendations in to practice. Now to sort hotels and routes :beerjug:

Agreed, Riano itself, as a new village built to replace the villages flooded when the dam and reservoir were created, is soulless. However, the setting is wonderful and the roads to and from eg to Potes and Cosgaya are superb.

I agree about Riano. I was severely underwhelmed by the place.

IMHO, if doing the loop around the Picos, it is much better to detour off the N625 (assuming you are heading south from the coast towards Riano) onto the CV-80-11 heading east towards Posada de Valdeon and then the LE 253 south towards the N621 (this is the road that would take you from Riano towards Potes.

The loop up to Posada de Valdeon is on good quality surfaces, and roads of a decent width, so some fun is possible, helped by the fact that the traffic is light. Posada de Valdeon is also a good place to get a meal/drink

Once on the N621 and heading northeast towards Potes you get the best bit of this road too!

I agree about Riano. I was severely underwhelmed by the place.

IMHO, if doing the loop around the Picos, it is much better to detour off the N625 (assuming you are heading south from the coast towards Riano) onto the CV-80-11 heading east towards Posada de Valdeon and then the LE 253 south towards the N621 (this is the road that would take you from Riano towards Potes.

The loop up to Posada de Valdeon is on good quality surfaces, and roads of a decent width, so some fun is possible, helped by the fact that the traffic is light. Posada de Valdeon is also a good place to get a meal/drink

Once on the N621 and heading northeast towards Potes you get the best bit of this road too!

We stayed at a hostel in Posada de Valdeon a few nights ago. Very cheap but perfectly adequate, even for tye wife! After we dumped the bike gear we rode down the valley to Cain and did a bit of the riverside gorge walk. stunning.

FFS!

I have to go here in November now, just to avoid the plague of Tossers, hooning about on their awesome steeds...

:aidan

And the CA-282 between La Hermida (in the gorge between Potes and Panes) and Puentenansa (to the east) is probably one of the most fun roads that I have ridden in a very long time

And if you find yourself in Puentenansa, then go north a few kms north and ride the access road up to the Cueva el Soplao - these are some tourist attraction caves. Can't say that I can really recommend the visit to the caves, but the road up and down is great fun too!

Ok hotel booked for 5 nights in Potes from 26th. Looked at all the suggestions and finally chose the hotel Valdecoro. Like the idea it was a short walk in to the village, has good reviews and great price inc brekkie. Several other looked at thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Just need to book 1 night near ferry in Bilbao if anyone can again recommend. Must have secure parking though as large city generally means more crime.

Just got to finalise which routes, so many have made suggestions so thanks again. Really looking forward to it :D

Have a great time. I am sure you will really enjoy both the roads and the scenery

Ok hotel booked for 5 nights in Potes from 26th. Looked at all the suggestions and finally chose the hotel Valdecoro. Like the idea it was a short walk in to the village, has good reviews and great price inc brekkie. Several other looked at thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Just need to book 1 night near ferry in Bilbao if anyone can again recommend. Must have secure parking though as large city generally means more crime.

Just got to finalise which routes, so many have made suggestions so thanks again. Really looking forward to it :D

I've used the Novotel Bilbao Exhibition Centre a few times. It's about 12km (15-20 mins) from the ferry terminal on the northwest (ferry port) side of the city just off the A-8. Whilst not city centre it's by a large shopping centre (I think Leroy Merlin etc, visible from the main road). It has secure underground parking, decent breakfast, bar food etc, reasonable prices.

We have just returned from the Aragon Moto GP, and stopped overnight at the 'Osabarena Hotela' in Barrio Murueta 14 Izda, 48410 Murueta-Orozko, Spain before catching the ferry from Bilbao. We booked the Hotela through Booking.com.
There is no secure parking, but we were assured by the owners that our bike was perfectly safe in the village square at the front of the hotel, and this was the case.
Our journey from the hotel to the ferry port was about 50 minutes at a steady pace.
Although only a small hotel, it has a very nice little restaurant.
Recommended, also, English is spoken.
Regards,
Chris.

Last edited:
Stayed in the Ibis Hotel in Barakaldo area of Bilbao in July this year, 10 minutes from the ferry terminal. Secure parking and you can choose from the regular Ibis at about £40 or the Budget at around £35.

Stayed in the Ibis Hotel in Barakaldo area of Bilbao in July this year, 10 minutes from the ferry terminal. Secure parking and you can choose from the regular Ibis at about £40 or the Budget at around £35.

I have also stayed there. Very easy access from the ferry so ideal for an overnight pit stop for late in the day arrival or early departure on the ferry.

The road from Potes to Riane has some timed closures !

open from 1800hrs to 0800 then again at 1400

We got to the closed section which fortunately is next to a cafe/bar at 1300 and had to wait along with lots of other bikes that turned up. It was like a race once it opened ( we won) but it is a road not to be missed

Redrick,

What was the cause of the closure and do you know if the timed closures are still in operation?

Off there next week and will be riding the N621.

Many thanks,

N

Back
Top Bottom