Picos experts needed for trip in 4 weeks

Wonkey donkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys

Booking ferry to Santander either Friday 21st Oct or Tues 25th Oct for a sneaky 7 day trip to Picos. First trip to area so looking for advice specifically on

1) where to base ourselves. Thinking Potes unless someone has a better idea. Want good hotel, not budget, in a town so can have a stroll to bars restaurants at night ideally.

2) hotel recommendation for the above.

3) must do routes, what to see etc (should I just download 'ride magazine routes' or is there a better resource available?

Thanks in anticipation

Hi,

I can seriously recommend this hotel in Cangas de Onis, Hotel Granda 4-star hotel, Puente Romano, 12 - Prestin, 33550 Cangas de Onís, Spain. They offer a 10% bikers discount if you book direct and they can advise on routes to take et al. Also just a 1 minute walk in to an excellent town with great pubs, restaurants and stuff.

Regards, Al

Potes is good . Hotel Infantada. But explore further west if you have time. Stunning, empty roads .Did it all last week .
8a312b3b40b4e3e371ca166bcea8d5d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tosserbollockery

Hi guys

Booking ferry to Santander either Friday 21st Oct or Tues 25th Oct for a sneaky 7 day trip to Picos. First trip to area so looking for advice specifically on

1) where to base ourselves. Thinking Potes unless someone has a better idea. Want good hotel, not budget, in a town so can have a stroll to bars restaurants at night ideally.

3) must do routes, what to see etc (should I just download 'ride magazine routes' or is there a better resource available?

Thanks in anticipation

Hotel del Oso in Cosgaya - no question, just a few miles down the road from Potes.

Oops sorry not in a town with bars, but you won't need bars. :)

We are on the 21st Oct ferry taking bikes on back of campers, may see you on board.

Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation

I don't think I'd like to stay in Potes it's kinda tacky.

Hotel La Pisa, as recommended many times over the years on this site and for good reason.

Owners are from Cumbria, one of whom is a trained chef and for 23euro [excluding VAT] served the best food I've had - ever. Good WiFi and a bar as well. If that's not enough they're very nice people too.

As for routes, 5 nights at La Pisa gives you 4 of the best days riding which is just right.

Don't take the quick route to Potes from the ferry, pick up the CA-182 then CA-282 at Valle and head west to La Hermida then down to Potes, it's a great intro to the Picos.

Should you decide on La Pisa then contact direct as booking.com may well show them fully booked when they ain't.

Routes:
A run to the shrine at Covadonga and a detour to Sotres while returning.

Visit Cain de Valdeon

Potes, Panes, Cangas de Onis, Riano, Potes - make sure you visit the bear for a stunning view.

Last edited:
Hotel del Oso, stayed a few weeks ago, definitely heading back.

If it's a clear day, don't miss the run up to the Lagos de Covadonga, stunning views and one of the classic climbs of the Vuelta a Espanya cycle race. Be sure to go right up to the top carpark (not the first big one) then go up at the back of the cafe to the viewpoint.

If it's a clear day, don't miss the run up to the Lagos de Covadonga, stunning views and one of the classic climbs of the Vuelta a Espanya cycle race. Be sure to go right up to the top carpark (not the first big one) then go up at the back of the cafe to the viewpoint.

I tried to go up to the lakes a couple of weeks ago after I thought the high season period had ended, but found the access road from Covadonga was still closed off by the police.

The Parador in Corias is superb.

http://www.parador.es/en/paradores/parador-de-corias

As well as the mountain roads; don't forget to visit the coast! The old (twisty) coast road N-632 N-634 and similar, ( before they built the A8) is worth a ride.

Take all your gear! We had rain/flooding and 6C in the mountains last week....

Guys thank you all for contributing and helping me out with this info it is VERY MUCH appreciated

Wonkey

+1 for hotel Infantado
Stayed 5 nights in August, it's about 10 to 15 min walk into Potes if you want but it's got a decent bar and food in restaurant is good if you don't fancy a walk
Good parking too:thumb2

+1 for hotel Infantado
Stayed 5 nights in August, it's about 10 to 15 min walk into Potes if you want but it's got a decent bar and food in restaurant is good if you don't fancy a walk
Good parking too:thumb2

Is it secure parking Tony or just a hotel carpark

Back
Top Bottom