Off to the bmw dealer today !

daviedevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to look at a 1200 LE. Feel like I need some weather protection these days.

Will be part ex in my Yam S10 2013. Any pros and cons on the RT I should be aware of?

I also need to persuade the better half that the RT is just as much fun as the S10.

The RT is more fun probably! :D You should speak to Monty of this parish I think he had both bikes for a while.

I love the audio system on mine but a lot of people don't bother so it's up to you. Other than that it is a great bike. Are you buying used or new? Now that the E4 model is out there are probably some very good deals on 2015-2016 models.

Pros it's very nimble and fun to ride despite the weight, plus the weather protection is amazing if that is what you're looking for. When riding in the rain over a certain speed the legs get hardly wet.

Cons not many perhaps the clunky transmission especially the 1st gear and and the width of the side mirrors in traffic but I got used to them after a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The RT is a very good bike. I had a 2011 model for a short while before going for a Honda cbf1000, which I rated highly. I do like Honda's particularly for their quality and reliability but the only bike to compare with the RT is the ageing and heavy Pan European.
My 2015 RT has just about got it all. The only thing niggling my conscience is the fact that I've spent over £12000 on a motorcycle (it was 10 months old when I bought it). This is a problem I still have and need to come to terms with as there are some fine bikes in the £7000 price range and I'd have an extra £5000 in the bank (or even an additional bike).
The BMW warranty is just about second to none with almost no quibble part replacement if faulty as they've already changed my swinging arm snd shaft drive bevel due to the minutest of a paint defect.
For me the RT gives you excellent comfort and weather protection for longer journeys and is deceptively "light" in town and the twisties.
I've now got a late 2015

Personal advice

I have just traded my 2014 (with new engine gearbox etc....see RT issues thread) for a 2017 Euro4 Rt LE. I am an every day rider did 28k miles on the 2014 in under 2 years. Pros..for 2014 - 2016 NOT 2017 bike (see below) ....fantastic engine..superb comfort..great range on the tank...If you are a bit brave chucking it about you will be rewarded 10 fold...In the Summer I annoy all manner of power rangers on hyper bikes the handling is that good....the weight is all low down see!! I loved mine in Callisto grey...Real world drive 4-6k in 4th and 5th gears was fabulous.....the noise my exhaust made bouncing off buildings and tunnels..took me back to being 18 again...childish but fun! The negatives.... build quality...build quality and ..um build quality...But as Knapdog says I had no problems with BMW warranty, although I have a good dealer..I know some have struggled...but I have no complaints.

FWIW mine was was a 2014 SE with central locking/alarm added to the standard package not sat nav (I'll come to that in a minute). Did me brilliantly.

Right My new 2017LE Euro4 ...just finished 1000 miles in 2 weeks and had its first service...It's been neutered...castrated..there is no go between 4 and 5k revs..this must be emissions zone..the exhaust is so quiet I can hardly hear it and the difference in the performance is massively noticeable...at best its boring at worst dangerous..none of those snappy A road overtakes I am so used to...I would love to hear from others to see if they feel the same. I thought an aftermarket silencer might be the way to go but after talking to my BMW tech he thinks all the problems are with the bigger CATS and the headers as the silencer is supposedly the same on both bikes. I bought mine without test riding it as I was offered a great (I mean great) deal (not surprised now!) but it had to be done on the phone and to be fair neither of us thought the effect would be so different.

Re; the sat nav comment...I was gutted I didn't get one on my original bike and took the upgrade opportunity to include one...I did a ton of research on youtube getting all excited about the functionality with the jog wheel...hooking up my phone..listening to podcasts etc through the media player...but it turns out the thing works very differently on the RT to the GS..I have no idea why...it is the most counter intuitive piece of IT I have ever come across..I am going to make a youtube vid as some of it defies belief...now my dealer looked at me like I was a wheel short of trike when I mentioned it....No one has ever mentioned it to me before he said! Amazing how after spending £520 on the Nav people suddenly try and justify and say nothing so they don't look stupid..well I fell for it hook line and sinker..stupid is as stupid does..you can get the same functionality out of the Garmin unit for £250...I have to lean forward and constantly tap the screen for a good 70% of its functions and when you use the jogwheel its all arse about... Now its not perfect on the GS..I spent 30 minutes playing with mine on GS on Saturday as I was convinced mine wasn't working properly! Unfortunately it is just the systems are very different...No my motorcycle app...no instant zoom in zoom out or page scroll with the RT..it is all accessed from different places under the Menu button on the RT...not sure I will ever get used to it...click rt to zoom in..down a line click rt to zoom out..I mean who does that?? click rt to zoom in...surely click left to zoom out???

So My advice if you are looking for one...get a really good low mileage 2016..... don't worry about gear assist pro or hillstart assist (mine doesn't work anyway!) You can change gear super quick at speed with the merest deft touches of the clutch on the 2016...and on mine the gear assist pro doesn't work well at low speed anyway... Think long and hard about the Nav5...if you work in a logical way it will drive you nuts...DEFINITELY ride both models..2017 and 2016 back to back.... I think you will notice a big difference in the lower midrange.

I am hoping to bond with the 2017 soon as it really hasn't happened yet.... Oh to finish on a positive..my dealer is great..BMW warranty is great..there really isn't a bike from the competitors that can touch the RT which is why I am putting up with its failings...and the other day the Sun was shining directly on my Carbon black LE and it turned the most beautiful dark metallic Blue..absolutely stunning....

Sorry that was a bit long.... :)

Fascinating posts - I'm astonished the "jog wheel" nav functions differ on the GS from the RT.
Hesitant to buy a 2017 KTM because I LOVE the jog wheel on my GS and all the nav/music/phone capabilities.

Personal advice

I have just traded my 2014 (with new engine gearbox etc....see RT issues thread) for a 2017 Euro4 Rt LE. I am an every day rider did 28k miles on the 2014 in under 2 years. Pros..for 2014 - 2016 NOT 2017 bike (see below) ....fantastic engine..superb comfort..great range on the tank...If you are a bit brave chucking it about you will be rewarded 10 fold...In the Summer I annoy all manner of power rangers on hyper bikes the handling is that good....the weight is all low down see!! I loved mine in Callisto grey...Real world drive 4-6k in 4th and 5th gears was fabulous.....the noise my exhaust made bouncing off buildings and tunnels..took me back to being 18 again...childish but fun! The negatives.... build quality...build quality and ..um build quality...But as Knapdog says I had no problems with BMW warranty, although I have a good dealer..I know some have struggled...but I have no complaints.

FWIW mine was was a 2014 SE with central locking/alarm added to the standard package not sat nav (I'll come to that in a minute). Did me brilliantly.

Right My new 2017LE Euro4 ...just finished 1000 miles in 2 weeks and had its first service...It's been neutered...castrated..there is no go between 4 and 5k revs..this must be emissions zone..the exhaust is so quiet I can hardly hear it and the difference in the performance is massively noticeable...at best its boring at worst dangerous..none of those snappy A road overtakes I am so used to...I would love to hear from others to see if they feel the same. I thought an aftermarket silencer might be the way to go but after talking to my BMW tech he thinks all the problems are with the bigger CATS and the headers as the silencer is supposedly the same on both bikes. I bought mine without test riding it as I was offered a great (I mean great) deal (not surprised now!) but it had to be done on the phone and to be fair neither of us thought the effect would be so different.

Re; the sat nav comment...I was gutted I didn't get one on my original bike and took the upgrade opportunity to include one...I did a ton of research on youtube getting all excited about the functionality with the jog wheel...hooking up my phone..listening to podcasts etc through the media player...but it turns out the thing works very differently on the RT to the GS..I have no idea why...it is the most counter intuitive piece of IT I have ever come across..I am going to make a youtube vid as some of it defies belief...now my dealer looked at me like I was a wheel short of trike when I mentioned it....No one has ever mentioned it to me before he said! Amazing how after spending £520 on the Nav people suddenly try and justify and say nothing so they don't look stupid..well I fell for it hook line and sinker..stupid is as stupid does..you can get the same functionality out of the Garmin unit for £250...I have to lean forward and constantly tap the screen for a good 70% of its functions and when you use the jogwheel its all arse about... Now its not perfect on the GS..I spent 30 minutes playing with mine on GS on Saturday as I was convinced mine wasn't working properly! Unfortunately it is just the systems are very different...No my motorcycle app...no instant zoom in zoom out or page scroll with the RT..it is all accessed from different places under the Menu button on the RT...not sure I will ever get used to it...click rt to zoom in..down a line click rt to zoom out..I mean who does that?? click rt to zoom in...surely click left to zoom out???

So My advice if you are looking for one...get a really good low mileage 2016..... don't worry about gear assist pro or hillstart assist (mine doesn't work anyway!) You can change gear super quick at speed with the merest deft touches of the clutch on the 2016...and on mine the gear assist pro doesn't work well at low speed anyway... Think long and hard about the Nav5...if you work in a logical way it will drive you nuts...DEFINITELY ride both models..2017 and 2016 back to back.... I think you will notice a big difference in the lower midrange.

I am hoping to bond with the 2017 soon as it really hasn't happened yet.... Oh to finish on a positive..my dealer is great..BMW warranty is great..there really isn't a bike from the competitors that can touch the RT which is why I am putting up with its failings...and the other day the Sun was shining directly on my Carbon black LE and it turned the most beautiful dark metallic Blue..absolutely stunning....

bit of a negative post for the 2017 model here !!!! I have a 2015 LE and will be changing to the 2017 LE in carbon black too....

on the 2015 model the wheel works superbly with a Nav 5 are you saying it now doesn't on the 2017 model ? to zoom in and out ,you just twist the wheel

I had a 2013 90th edition, it didn't do it for me, but was comfortable. Id be tempted to try the LC version but I'm so happy with my GSA I shan't bother. Very popular though so they have got many fans.

My new RT is at the dealer and replaced a 2014 model so hope the difference isn't too bad !

Fascinating posts - I'm astonished the "jog wheel" nav functions differ on the GS from the RT.
Hesitant to buy a 2017 KTM because I LOVE the jog wheel on my GS and all the nav/music/phone capabilities.

KTM will catch up one day. They're trying very hard, bless them.:D

I read this thinking it wasabout a motorbike. Shame that it has degenerated into discussions about jog wheells, ffs.

Realistically, I won't be buying new anyway but have to say the last time I rode one it took me 30 seconds to see if the neutral light was on with all the other crap on the dash - yes I know I'd get used to it.

Would like to see some pillion reviews on the 2010/11 models.

Chas F , if you ride a lot , in unfamiliar places (Alps , Pyrenees, Italy ?) the integration of the GPS , audio and bike is important!
Some of us actually want our bikes to take us to new places !

bit of a negative post for the 2017 model here !!!! I have a 2015 LE and will be changing to the 2017 LE in carbon black too....

on the 2015 model the wheel works superbly with a Nav 5 are you saying it now doesn't on the 2017 model ? to zoom in and out ,you just twist the wheel

So on mine the wheel works but only once you have accessed the Navigation Pane on the menu function on the left bar. Mine doesn't zoom in and out just by turning it..I have use the wheel to go down to the "zoom +" line and then push it rt to zoom in..then go down to the "zoom -" line below it and again push the wheel rt to zoom out... I will do a comprehensive video because I use SRC with android and Nav V and it doesn't function the way I thought it would....I think it might be helpful for other potential buyers. I assumed (should really stop doing that) that as The Nav v blue toothed to my phone I would be able to access my media files but I can't do that either..I have had to upload direct to the unit..which is OK as i can do it in the evenings...wish there was an eq as part of the media app though.

My new RT is at the dealer and replaced a 2014 model so hope the difference isn't too bad !

I will be interested to see what you think..these are my first impressions of the 2017..I did nearly 30k miles on my 2014 so knew it backwards..when they replaced the engine etc due to the corrosion the new engine they gave me was unbelievable straight out of the box....It could be the combination of me going from a special engine to a slightly more run of the mill unit hence the noticeable difference for me. The second engine on the 2014 was better than the original by miles! Felt much stronger for some reason.

The other thing I have noticed is a decrease in engine braking which has found me hauling on the brakes on more than one occasion...although I did flag the brakes as spongy and lacking in bite to the dealer at service..they are showing as no problem but we are keeping an eye on them to see how they go. Feels like a different brake pad compound to me...but then I was chewing rear brakes every 6 k (apparently the GS and RT both do this??) so maybe they have opted for a harder compound to try and overcome this.. again be interested in what anyone thinks..

I've got a 2011 model with only 11000 miles on the clock , no jog wheel, radio or sat nav, gearbox clunky between 1-3 then clutch less changes upper and down . pillion seat comfy and spacious according to my partner but going to take it to Tony Archer to improve the comfort , drive train in slow traffic is clonky too

Chas F , if you ride a lot , in unfamiliar places (Alps , Pyrenees, Italy ?) the integration of the GPS , audio and bike is important!
Some of us actually want our bikes to take us to new places !

Well, I do ride a lot and in unfamiliar places. I'm a bit old school and prefer a map and wind noise. I'm considering an older RT (10/11) as we're finding that in order to get further afield we'd be better off with a bike that can cope better with motorways yet still ok on back roads.

I do use a gps but mostly in town and I stop if I need to change a setting or find a hotel. I guess the jog wheel is a good thing if it means you spend less time being distracted by the gps screen and more time with your eyes on the road.

I read this thinking it wasabout a motorbike. Shame that it has degenerated into discussions about jog wheells, ffs.

Realistically, I won't be buying new anyway but have to say the last time I rode one it took me 30 seconds to see if the neutral light was on with all the other crap on the dash - yes I know I'd get used to it.

Would like to see some pillion reviews on the 2010/11 models.

SWMBO says the pillion on our 2010 Rt is very comfortable, far more so than the 1100RT we had previously. She finds the leg room better as well, and she is only 5'2" tall ! The only complaint she had was the standard screen resulted in very uncomfortable buffeting and I have since changed it to a V-Technic which has improved matters for her.

Personal advice

Right My new 2017LE Euro4 ...just finished 1000 miles in 2 weeks and had its first service...It's been neutered...castrated..there is no go between 4 and 5k revs..this must be emissions zone..the exhaust is so quiet I can hardly hear it and the difference in the performance is massively noticeable...at best its boring at worst dangerous..none of those snappy A road overtakes I am so used to...I would love to hear from others to see if they feel the same. I thought an aftermarket silencer might be the way to go but after talking to my BMW tech he thinks all the problems are with the bigger CATS and the headers

..DEFINITELY ride both models..2017 and 2016 back to back.... I think you will notice a big difference in the lower midrange.

I noticed this also. Ok, it was a 2017 GS, but my 2016 felt a lot more 'sprightly'.:nenau

Personal advice

Hi, can I ask who your dealer is?
Cheers
Rich

I have a 2018 model LE.I was somewhat disappointed with the functionality of the Nav V1 compared to my 2014 GS jog wheel functionality but as regards the rest of the bike,it's brilliant.I don't recognise dudgeman's comments regarding lack of engine power,mine is noticeably more powerful and smoother than my GS was.Some owners have commented about handlebar vibration,once again,I have not felt anything but the tiniest amount at around 2000 rpm.The gearbox is silky smooth compared to earlier models as is the quick shift pro but still has the old issue,its too clunky if used from 1st to 2nd,I can live with that.
My GS was showing significant engine corrosion despite me being somewhat anul when it comes to cleaning my bikes.The thing was always covered in ACF50 but it still corroded.I ordered the new RT,with a black engine and drivetrain in the hope It will not suffer the tin worm so quickly as the silver version.If I am honest,corrosion is the only thing with this bike that concerns me.Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom