santander to Fribourg

dsb79

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So i hve my 2017 trip sorted already, well i know where im going the question is how.

I have booked my ferry to land in Santander on the 20 Aug, i have until the 27th to get to Fribourg, on my own with my tent. I will cut through the Pyranees, which i have done once before but after that im lost for the best route to get there.

I know France is great for camping but not sure with Spain, dont want to wild camp as i like a shower and a good toilet, is there anything to be aware of in Spain ref camp sites?

What is the best route / towns to hit to get to Fribourg from the spanish side / Andorra, i want the best roads and not interested in motorways, will do about 200 miles a day more if needed or if im happy to, dont want anything in stone on dates or places to be.

All and any thoughts appriciated.

So i hve my 2017 trip sorted already.... All and any thoughts appriciated.

Time is ticking away. It's now 08 October 2016; before we know it it will be 20 August 2017.

Just so bods can be sure, do you mean:

(1) Fribourg, in Switzerland

(2) Freiburg, in Germany

Time is ticking away. It's now 08 October 2016; before we know it it will be 20 August 2017.

Just so bods can be sure, do you mean:

(1) Fribourg, in Switzerland

(2) Freiburg, in Germany

or Fribourg in France?

There are far more experienced continental bikers than me but in my limited experience a route planned to avoid motorways and toll roads takes a long long time.

The routes are fantastic, scenic and twisty but there are innumerable speed restriction at every town and village and the max is 60mph at best. I don't say this to rain on your parade but I've learnt that a 250 or 300 mile ride in the UK is much quicker than a similar distance meandering through rural France and Spain

That said, your trip sounds great ...

OP, depending on what time of day you set off, what time you expect to finish (and how long you might want to press wild flowers for in between) 200 to 250 miles a day on half decent N and D roads across France is far from unreasonable.

Now it's time for you to find for yourself those
i want the best roads and not interested in motorways,
routes you - and seemingly every other bikermate - want, as I am not entirely sure that you (like them) have even tried.

First, arm yourself with a couple of decent maps (see the sticky). Then, instead of cheating by asking other people to do it all for you over the next year or so before you depart, start by cheating yourself. Here's how:

Fire up Googlemaps and the via Michelin websites. Put in your start and end points and tick or untick as many of the routing options within the software as you like. You can't break it, so play around. See what route options the two really advanced software programmes offer up. Compare these with your maps. See anything you like? Great, almost there. Don't see anything? OK, don't worry, the software has given you the broad direction and timings, now just use your maps (and a bit of independent Adventure biker imagination) to fill in the gaps. Give it a go, you'll enjoy it and your trip more.

PS There are lots of campsites in Spain. There will be no need for your to bivy with a brew in a ditch. Unless that is you really want to.

You are spoiled for choice. Head north east, Condom, Aegen, Cahors, Argentat, Central Massive, Issoire, Roanne, the Morvan, the south Vosges. Or head east inland Carcassonne, Millau or Nant, Florac, Ales, Monasque, Castellane then north to Digne or Briancon, Aosta. You basically are traveling through motorcycle heaven if such a thing exists. I would choose the latter route. Mountain passes and gorges all the way with loads to see and do in between. Research the area you pass through. Usually the local government have a tourist website. The Languedoc-Ruossillion region has surprisingly a lot to do and see. A place we liked when we stayed there, RCN Val de Cantobre. If all else fails then Ride magazine has an answer.

Cheers, I have a route i fancy now, and it is Fribourg Switzerland i need to end up in.

Ive been using tyre to try run a trip but thats not great at times will have a go using via michelin.

And i like to plan ahead nowt wrong with that for a biggish solo trip.

If your thinking of doing the same get your ferry booked as prices are going up already.

Aha, it's Fribourg in Switzerland. The devil is always in the detail when it comes to "Tell me great routes, no motorways, between A and B"

Tyre won't help you chose what roads to ride. To do that you need a map. Like BaseCamp / Mapsource, its only real use is when you come to build a route to ride, along the roads you want to ride, not the ones the software wants to force you along. It and BaseCamp / Mapsource are then handy to get that route into a GPS device.

So my route so far, any tips appreciated, only bit im not to happy about i think is the trip to Orange. Comes in at just short of 1100 miles to be done in 8 days so not rushing.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 291
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 340
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 340
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 283
Can you post the google maps links please. Bit unclear on the screen shot. Maybe I can be of help with some cracking roads but it depends if you have been through there or not. Chances are you have been riding in Europe more than me.

How to paste a Google maps link if you don't know. After you planned the route. Top LH corner click o the horizontal stripes (menu). The drop down menu will open. Scroll down to 'Share or Embed Map'. Click on that and a new window will open. It is already on share so just tick the box for short URL and then copy that bit and paste it in the post on here.

So my route so far, any tips appreciated, only bit im not to happy about i think is the trip to Orange. Comes in at just short of 1100 miles to be done in 8 days so not rushing.

your middle route picture, i would be heading to carcassone via the gorges glamus and then onto the tarn gorge via milau, then onto orange via the tarn gorges and the gorges lardeche this would depend on time permiting. something like this, a good couple of days ride through some stunning scenery, and from orange you could head to castelane through the verdon gorge, and then pick up part of the rdga for the rest of the route.

Attachments

• 11-10-2016 00-53-22.jpg
    11-10-2016 00-53-22.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 344
How many ways to skin a cat would you like?

In this map, you could cut through the Provençal Luberon and the Verdon, with its (very nice) gorge, simply by turning right at Avignon. Yes, it would take you south and eastwards of your eventual target but it could be made to work.

attachment.php

Similarly, as Leedude says, between Perpignan and Orange, you or (more accurately) Google maps appears to have routed yourself straight along the A2 motorway. You told us in your opening post that you wanted to avoid motorways; not interested in them, to be exact. So why are you now on them? Look at the map you have proffered up and work out for yourself how, by moving the line upwards, you might well be able to run a broadly parallel route along some more interesting roads and through some more attractive scenery.

This thread highlights the difficulty of plotting other people's holiday routes, such as you are asking for. You know yourself far better than we'll ever do. You have made a start, now finish it off. I have no idea if you have bought some proper maps yet. When you do, you'll maybe find it easier.

I use Mapsource, tell it to go from A to B fastest route. Then zoom in and using the shaping tool, tell it to go on the old road beside the motorway. Utterly wonderful. 40 to 90 in 4th gear most of the time. A little rest going through the towns and villages at 30. If you don't spend ages at your coffee and lunch stops you should average 40- 42 mph. So I'm happy with 360 miles a day but I wouldn't do more than a couple of days at that rate.
And do drink plenty of water - believe me..
You can get 10% off the ferry using a discount code given out at the NEC.
Have a good trip. D

Back
Top Bottom