Quietening the engine clattering

Second the ear plugs. If you don't wear ear plugs the wind noise will damage your hearing irreversibly. BMW boxer engines are all noisy, use ear plugs and just get on with the riding.

Very strange how many negative comments there are about someone choosing to deaden the acoustic effect of the body panels ... from the riders seat my bike is noticeably quieter with a full tank of fuel than when it's nearly empty :thumb2
It's very quiet when it's completely empty :blast

Some one tries to lessen the noise from his bike to suit him and gets criticised for it. It's his bike to do with what he wants . Others spend comparative fortunes on bling wheels, aftermarket exhausts etc that ultimately add nothing to the riding process but get the oohhs and ahhhs.

Personally, anybody that spends £1500 on a new set of wheels and £800 on some fancy exhaust, when the originals do the job is crackers, but I accept, it's their money and their wish.

Decent helmet and ear plugs should be more than enough, but if you look at many sports bikes they have sound deadening material on the inside panels of the fairings
So maybe doing the same to the GSA is not such a bad idea.

On the engine noise when you hear the oil cooled motor they do sound hell of a lot quieter the WC sounds like a bag of spanners

Terry

why is it a secret?

May I second that question? it's amazing that this "noise" issue pops up from time to time and is something that has driven me drown the road of moulded ear plugs. If the member has found a possible solution on improvement at source and is satisfied with it, a more detailed public description would be useful for many.
I, like many others can never understand the sometimes negative, pointless and even childish reactions to posts on this Forum. Remember, the written word can hide what one might in jest wish to imply face to face. Thanks to McNamara and others for their input on this subject.

As a reader (and 'utterly minimum writer' on this forum) I bumped into this clatter/noise topic quite a few times...and it always grabbed my interest to, because I'm having the same issue with my 2015 R1200GS LC.

The general result of a 'noise question' equals/ends up in: 'wear earplugs and get on with it'...and that kills a topic in a fraction of a second. A plain indicator for me, not to ask anything, in the end.
The main reason why this issue frequently comes up, is the fact that it sounds very mechanical.
It is somehow reflected from the front, straight into your helmet.
Moving your head backwards a bit, results in pure and addictive engine noise.

If you're into knowing how your bike works, you want to be sure where it is emitted from, what causes it, and will it affect longevity of the engine.
Sure MrMcNamara has the same question...so do I.
Posing the same question in a (Belgian) service center results in: 'they all do that sir...'

There was already a useful reply by DrRich:
Removed the valve covers and the noise is caused by backlash in the cam gearing.
It's possible, I'm told, to order oversized parts to cure this.

That trying to find, and implementing a solution for this noise problem would be 'certainly psychological','and a bit of a worry' is not at all productive, nor a addition to a forum...and is to be neglected.

I would like to see thorough answers and questions about this issue! :beerjug:

noise is relative to the owner and past experiences and expectations. I use to own a non vtec vfr800. All the reviews said what a sublime V4 engine. I found it very noisy until some one suggested ear plugs. With car engines even diesels sounding quiet the GS is noisy but if that is the design and it is not going to fail then happy days.

Toothless, please don't be deterred from posting in a motorcycle forum. There are no dumb questions. You should never be discouraged if someone behind a computer posts something that wasn't what you wanted to hear, and please realize that it is normal for there to be times when the discourse strays off topic, or for your question, or the intent of your question, to not be understood quite as you intended.

I am here to learn more about 2 specific models of motorcycles - the early-2000's R1150GS and the current R1200GS Liquid Cooled models. There are three main forums i know of - UKGSer.com, advrider.com, and bmwmoa.org. In each forum, there are experts, some who wrench bikes professionally, and some who aren't professional mechanics but who work on their own and others bikes (some of these people even have professional-level skills, knowledge and resources), as well as many owners with mechanical skill levels ranging from none to quite impressive. Questions in themselves can be as educating and informative as the replies. I think that I even have a little knowledge on some specific things, in general, those things i have studied and work i have performed myself.

Specifically, my answer to just wear plugs and ride your bike was in no way meant to put down the idea of installing sheet dampening material between the engine and your ears. Yes, I think you can do some quitening by doing so. But i would also never ride without earplugs. I believe that at speed, the noise of undampened bikes and dampened bikes would be pretty much the same because the wind noise drowns out the engine noise at some velocity, depending on a very large number of variables, and becomes the dominant sound heard.

I want to hear from all interested parties, especially the ones whom have done something and what their perception of the achieved result and its relative value is.

Please pardon my Texas, USA "english" - it is just one of my many defects and limitations.

In reality ... how many of us use earplugs due to engine noise, and how many use earplugs due to helmet noise?
I'm keen to quieten the rattles from the engine that annoy me when pootling around town, but my biggest issue is the horrendous wind noise that seems to be amplified by my helmet and I don't want to fit a stable door to the front of the bike ... if I wanted an RT I'd have bought an RT!

Toothless, please don't be deterred from posting in a motorcycle forum. There are no dumb questions. You should never be discouraged if someone behind a computer posts something that wasn't what you wanted to hear, and please realize that it is normal for there to be times when the discourse strays off topic, or for your question, or the intent of your question, to not be understood quite as you intended.

I am here to learn more about 2 specific models of motorcycles - the early-2000's R1150GS and the current R1200GS Liquid Cooled models. There are three main forums i know of - UKGSer.com, advrider.com, and bmwmoa.org. In each forum, there are experts, some who wrench bikes professionally, and some who aren't professional mechanics but who work on their own and others bikes (some of these people even have professional-level skills, knowledge and resources), as well as many owners with mechanical skill levels ranging from none to quite impressive. Questions in themselves can be as educating and informative as the replies. I think that I even have a little knowledge on some specific things, in general, those things i have studied and work i have performed myself.

Specifically, my answer to just wear plugs and ride your bike was in no way meant to put down the idea of installing sheet dampening material between the engine and your ears. Yes, I think you can do some quitening by doing so. But i would also never ride without earplugs. I believe that at speed, the noise of undampened bikes and dampened bikes would be pretty much the same because the wind noise drowns out the engine noise at some velocity, depending on a very large number of variables, and becomes the dominant sound heard.

I want to hear from all interested parties, especially the ones whom have done something and what their perception of the achieved result and its relative value is.

Please pardon my Texas, USA "english" - it is just one of my many defects and limitations.

All
Been away onbusiness for a while hence my silence on the subject raised. Just for clarification - I am a fully qualified,practicing Engineer unlike the Penis withhis usual shed full of negative b/sh*t who has the audacity to use the tag Engineer. I always respect others posts (ex Penis) & try to be supportive where possible, I am heartened by the positive comments above. I do wear ear plugs but am agitated by a 'quality' bike rattling like a bag of spanners at low speed / off load. I favour the theory that its the valve decompressor rattling myself? My 'experiment' clearly has massivley reduced this clatter for me- I am happy with the result & more than happy to advise on how to replicate if anyone is truly interested
Mac

All
Been away onbusiness for a while hence my silence on the subject raised. Just for clarification - I am a fully qualified,practicing Engineer unlike the Penis withhis usual shed full of negative b/sh*t who has the audacity to use the tag Engineer. I always respect others posts (ex Penis) & try to be supportive where possible, I am heartened by the positive comments above. I do wear ear plugs but am agitated by a 'quality' bike rattling like a bag of spanners at low speed / off load. I favour the theory that its the valve decompressor rattling myself? My 'experiment' clearly has massivley reduced this clatter for me- I am happy with the result & more than happy to advise on how to replicate if anyone is truly interested
Mac

Well, it would be helpful if could post the eBay number of the material you used ....

Well, it would be helpful if could post the eBay number of the material you used ....

Sorry, here you go! 162121407153 £12.59 incl delivery & about an hour to fit.please keep away from hot components, fuel etc

This easy to install car sound deadening foam is ideal for roofs, doors, wheel arches, boot and parcel shelf applications.

Once fitted this product will improve the ride quality in your vehicle by reducing engine noise, tyre whine, road noise, wind noise and will significantly improve the overall vehicle refinement and sound quality.
As well as improve the vehicle acoustics this high performance closed cell foam will ensure your vehicle stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, making your ride more comfortable.

High quality adhesive backed black closed cell foam insulation
High noise reduction & thermal insulation properties
Used by luxury vehicle manufacturers
Excellent for sealing against water and air ingress
Highly compressible closed cell foam formulation
Easy "cut, peel & apply" fitting
Water resistant
Flame Retardant

Product Dimensions:

Size: 100cm x 50cm (1Roll)
Area: 0.5m² (5.4ft²)
Nominal Thickness: 10mm

Typical Temperature Stability:

-40°C to +100°C

Applications:

Sound deadening and thermal insulation foam for use within vehicle interior and exterior.

Suitable for insulating the following applications:

Boot, wheel arch, body panels, load floor, under seat, floor, interior bulkhead.
Also ideal for sealing against air and water ingress as well as anti-squeak applications

By all means try to quiten the engine if you wish with loads of sound deadening materials, but the real question is why? The answer is purely psychological, the noise offends ones mechanical sensibilities that's all - in a car carrying passengers on a long journey noise can be tiring and uncomfortable - a motorcycle is noisy even with a mechanically quiet engine once at normal travelling speeds due to wind noise, which is not only tiring but very damaging, so wear ear plugs or you will regret it. The mechanical noise is not damaging to you or you engine so forget about it - if you can't, then add loads of sound deadening material and be happy but it is all to do with your state of mind, nothing else.

By all means try to quiten the engine if you wish with loads of sound deadening materials, but the real question is why? The answer is purely psychological, the noise offends ones mechanical sensibilities that's all - in a car carrying passengers on a long journey noise can be tiring and uncomfortable - a motorcycle is noisy even with a mechanically quiet engine once at normal travelling speeds due to wind noise, which is not only tiring but very damaging, so wear ear plugs or you will regret it. The mechanical noise is not damaging to you or you engine so forget about it - if you can't, then add loads of sound deadening material and be happy but it is all to do with your state of mind, nothing else.

The question of possible damage being caused is a fair question and has been my long standing search for the source, not yet really identified by BMW. In an OHV engine with push rod operated valves via rockers there is a tappet clearance. Run that engine with too wide a clearance and you soon produce wear to rocker or valve stem from "hammering", due to that clearance. It isn't just psychological but a need to know what is clattering upon what.

MrMcNamara;

First of all thanks for your post. I've found the idea very interesting and would like to try it out on my 2016 GSWA. In fact, I've just purchsed the foam you recomended and should take delivery in a month or so as I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

I would be very interested to know exactly where did you applied it and if you could post some photos of your work it would be very helpful.

Please do not be put off on all the negative comments on your ideas posted here. They contribute nothing !

I find that many posts in UKGSER have an unfriendly and aggressive tone. Its strange as my image of englishmen was always of an educated and polite gentleman...

I actively participate in the american forum GSpot and find americans not only quite more helpful but also much friendlier as well. As a result I always try to contribute there and rarely write in this forum. After all participatting in forums is to be a pleasurabel experience rather than an irritating one. I wish the moderators were more active and filter the non contributing posts.

Its a shame the unfriendly and agressive and certainly unneccessary posture of too many UKGSER forum members.

Best regards,

Andre

Last edited:
The question of possible damage being caused is a fair question and has been my long standing search for the source, not yet really identified by BMW. In an OHV engine with push rod operated valves via rockers there is a tappet clearance. Run that engine with too wide a clearance and you soon produce wear to rocker or valve stem from "hammering", due to that clearance. It isn't just psychological but a need to know what is clattering upon what.

I understand what you are saying but these engines have done a gazillion miles without mechanical problems - if there had been lots of early failures then there might be a connection with the mechanical noise but there is no indication of that so far.

Dear Mr Penis, please keep your petty opinions to yourself, they are not creditable, constructive or welcome
Mr McNamara

MrMcNamara;

First of all thanks for your post. I've found the idea very interesting and would like to try it out on my 2016 GSWA. In fact, I've just purchsed the foam you recomended and should take delivery in a month or so as I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

I would be very interested to know exactly where did you applied it and if you could post some photos of your work it would be very helpful.

Please do not be put off on all the negative comments on your ideas posted here. They contribute nothing !

I find that many posts in UKGSER have an unfriendly and aggressive tone. Its strange as my image of englishmen was always of an educated and polite gentleman...

I actively participate in the american forum GSpot and find americans not only quite more helpful but also much friendlier as well. As a result I always try to contribute there and rarely write in this forum. After all participatting in forums is to be a pleasurabel experience rather than an irritating one. I wish the moderators were more active and filter the non contributing posts.

Its a shame the unfriendly and agressive and certainly unneccessary posture of too many UKGSER forum members.

Best regards,

Andre

The last 4 paragraphs nicely sum up how I am beginning to feel about UKGSER. Far too much criticism on a personal level. I admire Engineer for his persistence and often correct observations.