Quietening the engine clattering

The last 4 paragraphs nicely sum up how I am beginning to feel about UKGSER. Far too much criticism on a personal level. I admire Engineer for his persistence and often correct observations.

Water off a ducks back to me - the GS LC is a bit clattery at tick over but I doubt that it is a mechanical problem that needs fixing - I think that BMW would have noticed by now and the bike has been around long enough to have shown up any serious engine issues - if the noise offends one's sensibilities then by all means add lots of sound proofing but ask yourself 'is it really necessary'?

Water off a ducks back to me - the GS LC is a bit clattery at tick over but I doubt that it is a mechanical problem that needs fixing - I think that BMW would have noticed by now and the bike has been around long enough to have shown up any serious engine issues - if the noise offends one's sensibilities then by all means add lots of sound proofing but ask yourself 'is it really necessary'?

You're right of course (for once, he says jokingly) the GS LC is clattery at tick over which is not actually an engine fault as such and I'm on my second GS LC so I'm not really concerned about it but...to be honest I wish it was quieter only if then it would shut up my Jap riding mates from criticising my beemer....bloody cheek.

Mines noisy so I thought I would fit a full acropovic system to drown it out :D which it does very well.......but that gets on my nerves on long rides :blast so I turn on my Bluetooth and blast music in my ears....so now I have a noisy engine,noisy exhaust and a constant buzzing in my ears all the time :blast but I'm happy :)

Doesn't saw dust poured in the oil work, maybe for a quick sale..

I have read this thread with interest and despair in equal measure but I thought I might interject with something factual. This week I have upgraded to a 2017 GSA and I can report that it is much quieter than my previous three WC's. Whilst fitting an accessory socket this afternoon I noticed that BMW have put what appears to be some sound deadening material between the tank and the engine on the new model that definitely wasn't there on the previous ones. Ironic given the content of this thread.

:aidan
I have read this thread with interest and despair in equal measure but I thought I might interject with something factual. This week I have upgraded to a 2017 GSA and I can report that it is much quieter than my previous three WC's. Whilst fitting an accessory socket this afternoon I noticed that BMW have put what appears to be some sound deadening material between the tank and the engine on the new model that definitely wasn't there on the previous ones. Ironic given the content of this thread.

This last post made me titter.

Ha ha BMW do read these posts brilliant

Terry

Dont know about the rest of you guys but the clattering of our engines when warm / off load was really getting on my wick! I came up with the idea of stripping off the bodywork & applying soundproofing in an attempt to remedy. I completed today & wow, what a difference - looks like the plastics act as the body of an acoustic guitar & amplify the engine rattles.
I have applied commercially available sound deadening material -closed cell 10mm thick fire resistant foam with a self adhesive backing to the inside of the grey side panels, snorkel panels, silver winglets (excl mount areas) None of this can be seen when the parts are in place, or are near any hot components. will let you know how I go on long term but for now a massive improvement!

I bet you didn't know what you were starting with this interesting topic.! I intend to follow suit with my early 2013. Can you identify please the parts you treated more officially? Are they called snorkels and winglets? the grey bit is OK. Do you ever come in the direction of Rochdale with your now stealth Machine?

I bet you didn't know what you were starting with this interesting topic.! I intend to follow suit with my early 2013. Can you identify please the parts you treated more officially? Are they called snorkels and winglets? the grey bit is OK. Do you ever come in the direction of Rochdale with your now stealth Machine?

Hi
I am over in Saddleworth & would be happy to meet up / assist if you want to follow suit, garage available if you want to use for the excercise. I have posted the part number on here, its cheap - better to get 2 rolls to do complete. I am not an acoustic engineer though I have skirted around this discipline. I applied under the grey side panels at the front mainly, also the snorkel area, drops around the air intakes above the throttle bodies & the chrome winglets - looks like the 2017 GS has just under the panels?
Its good to see that the few idiots on here cannot distroy an interseting tread, soundproof if the clattering bothers you & you like to tinker, add whatever toys you like, or just ride the thing its what makes bikers what we are

On friday last week, I stopped at the local BMW dealer after a return trip to our Belgian coast. (april 2015 GS, 16.000 km on the clock)
I explained the 'rattling noise' stuff (and yes, I do wear earplugs) and told them that I was fed up with it.
I've got the impression that I was the first one ever, to mention the problem.
Oh...and when I mentioned that I wasn't the only one with this issue, I was advised to "stay away from forums, because they are packed with lies"....:blast
I dully replied that I'm old enough to decide that myself...
So...I hope to hear something positive from them during this week or the next one (I doubt it though).
If not, I'll try your sound dampening info. ;)

There wasn't to much to hear from the dealer, about my 'mechanical noise' problem.
"we couldn't hear anything"..."your bike sounds like any other one"...."Your complaint was fed into the system and is now registered"...Fine!

Well, 4 months later:
My 2015, 17600km bike had to undergo it's yearly service...an guess what...
I've got a phone call mentioning that both camshafts are worn beyond tolerance, and that they have to contact BMW headquarters to ask if they were allowed to take on this problem under warranty.
I'll pay them a visit tomorrow and ask what could have been the cause of this camshaft trouble...and if they will do something about that too :D

Any info welcome!

Swapped riding the GS with my mate's R1200RS last week, and was amazed at how much quieter/smoother the RS engine felt. Same engine, so what's the reason for why the GS feels so much more agricultural?