Quietening the engine clattering

Swapped riding the GS with my mate's R1200RS last week, and was amazed at how much quieter/smoother the RS engine felt. Same engine, so what's the reason for why the GS feels so much more agricultural?

I totally agree, I have 1180 mls on my 2017 GSA and it sounds fecking awful to the extent that I had the sales manager listen to it and then listen to my old 2016 with 5500 mls on it and the difference was night and day with my old one being half as quiet

my new one today I thought had ball bearings and grit running around in it and had to switch it off at one point as I honestly thought it was going to go bang

I totally agree, I have 1180 mls on my 2017 GSA and it sounds fecking awful to the extent that I had the sales manager listen to it and then listen to my old 2016 with 5500 mls on it and the difference was night and day with my old one being half as quiet

my new one today I thought had ball bearings and grit running around in it and had to switch it off at one point as I honestly thought it was going to go bang

What was his response ?

The replacement short block I had fitted a couple of weeks ago is much quieter than 2013 one it replaced

Might have known you would make your usual negative comment! Just what Engineering qualification do you purport to hold?? I see no evidence of any engineering prowess whatsoever in any of your comments?

Don't think that's a negative comment!! Don't agree with much the man says but do on this one

We're all different but I couldn't do more than a few miles without ear plugs, don't know how people can sit on a bike for hours at a time without them

Don't think that's a negative comment!! Don't agree with much the man says but do on this one

We're all different but I couldn't do more than a few miles without ear plugs, don't know how people can sit on a bike for hours at a time without them

I can't :) ear plugs make the riding experience a thousand times more pleasurable.

I use earplugs all the time now. Wind noise is too loud otherwise. Got a bit of 'ear ringing' as it is and often told to stop shouting when home from a ride..

I use earplugs all the time now. Wind noise is too loud otherwise. Got a bit of 'ear ringing' as it is and often told to stop shouting when home from a ride..

It doesn't matter how good you helmet is wind noise is still damaging at motorway speeds, engine noise is irrelevant in comparison.

What was his response ?

Got a guy coming on the 2nd May to look at mine and someone elses bike due to gearbox problems so going to mention it to him then also

the Sales manager at my local BMW did agree that it was very noisy compared to my old one but he didn't know what they meant and to speak to the BMW honcho when he goes there, trouble is that I'm concerned its damaging something inside and not to really ride it or not

My 2016 GSA rattles badly from the RHS of the engine on cold start for 1 to 2 seconds, took it for its 6,000 miles service this week and was told they all sound like that. Glad there is a 2 year warranty just in case.

My 2016 GSA rattles badly from the RHS of the engine on cold start for 1 to 2 seconds, took it for its 6,000 miles service this week and was told they all sound like that. Glad there is a 2 year warranty just in case.

I believe it's the decompressor and yes, they all do that.