Where

It's not where Ryan's Daughter was filmed is it? The village set was demolished but I'd imagine some paving left behind.

Is there any sign of the buildings or of the set?
Some over grown rubble to the side of the path - looks like it was bulldozed there some time ago. Other than that just the cobbled road.
The school house down by the shore remains but its roof timbers are gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan's_Daughter

Ryan's Daughter was the last feature film photographed entirely in the 65mm Super Panavision format until Far and Away (1992), which was shot largely at the same locations. Owing to bad weather, many of the beach scenes were actually filmed in Cape Town, South Africa.[citation needed]
The village in the film was built by the production company from stone so that it could withstand the storms. Villagers from the town of Dunquin were hired as extras. The area was at the time economically destitute, but the amount of money spent in the town — nearly a million pounds — revived the local economy and led to increased immigration to the Dingle Peninsula. Disputes over land meant the entire village was razed after filming. The schoolhouse still exists, but in a ruined state. In the scene before Doryan commits suicide, there is a cut from a sunset to Charles striking a match, which is a sly allusion to Lawrence of Arabia with its famous cut from Peter O'Toole blowing out a match to a sunrise in the desert.

Would be very interesting to be up there with some stills from the film showing those cobbles and with hills in background and to try and get same shot as it is now.

Cigar to that gent

Someone posted a link to this thread so reminded me that I still haven't visited those cobbles. Cigar hasn't arrived yet Gerry, I reckon the post lady smoked it, I'll have to ask her when I see her next.

The Blue Max tour, would be a nice tour to visit the places, Ardmore, Calary Bog , Weston, Carrickabrack Railway Viaduct

My wee brother (63 now) and friends 'borrowed ' the Mangle from the Set and brought it to Belfast. No idea where it languishes now.

Blue max low over Ambassador....

Attachments

• Blue Max.jpg
    Blue Max.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 53

Back
Top Bottom