New S1000XR

Becksy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I ended up buying a GS as the XR was fractionally too mental, and the vibrations through the handlebars were an absolute deal breaker.

But, BMW have today announced an updated XR saying "softer isolating elements on the handlebars effectively prevent the finest vibrations from being passed onto the handlebar ends"

May be worth revisiting, though I am very happy with the GS. Anyone tempted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up buying a GS as the XR was fractionally too mental, and the vibrations through the handlebars were an absolute deal breaker.

But, BMW have today announced an updated XR saying "softer isolating elements on the handlebars effectively prevent the finest vibrations from being passed onto the handlebar ends"

I test drove an XR yesterday , had some serious vibrations after 4k. That and other build quality issues put me of it. I couldn't get over how sloppy the rear subframe is welded.

Have the updated the non compliant suspension !

Exactly.

I''d like that to appear in 2017 too. Handlebar vibes have been fixed by most people with inexpensive bar end weights. What's not easy/cheap apart from replacing the suspenders or starting out with non-ESA that the stealers all frown upon is current firm suspension.

I should know .. I bought one and sold it again (I know, I know) because of this.

Sober Matt blue colour too!
I think it's a great offering , but issues like , the chain, fork dive , lack of LED headlight, and fugly pannier brackets are still drawbacks for GS owners looking for more performance .

In some ways I hope they don't change the ESA, as it makes the decision not to get one easier (but who am I kidding, of COURSE I hope they deliver compliant suspension) :blast

I test drove an XR yesterday , had some serious vibrations after 4k. That and other build quality issues put me of it. I couldn't get over how sloppy the rear subframe is welded.

Can't be so !!! Nutty's is perfect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's a great offering , but issues like , the chain, fork dive , lack of LED headlight, and fugly pannier brackets are still drawbacks for GS owners looking for more performance .

The answer to that is orange :green gri

Agree with all that.

I think it's a great offering , but issues like fork dive .

Even Ktm have addressed fork dive, selecting street on my Ktm eradicate's fork dive, it's fecking clever stuff.

The FUTURES ORANGE

There are many things 'missing' from the XR, LED headlight, TPM, journey trip, soft suspension setting, and ineffective heated grips. It was disappointing BMW didn't include these on the XR so they could be added at a later stage to tempt those who bought them to trade in for the revised and updated model.

Not for me, even though the biggest issue for me was the handlebar vibration, they would need to fit a shaft drive for me to consider it. However, I'm so pleased with my GSA I just can't see me changing it for a while.

Not for me either

Waaaay under geared in my opinion and the missus hated it, on the test ride she made me let her get off and pick her up on my way back to the dealers :blast

Can't believe they actually marketed it with the vibes on the test bike :nenau

Love my GS though :bounce1

Inline 4 is what puts me off. Sold an s1000r, despite the blistering performance (more than I could use on the road), it left me cold with its lack of character.

If the GS gets boring, then it will be KTMs 1290 superduke tourer thingy for me next..

How many miles did you do on the XR ?

I'm hoping my RR will get rid of the vibes by 2000 miles like the previous RR

The vibes aren't the worst thing,I had 1 overnight a couple of weeks ago and worst thing for me was the engine ,it sounds like its revving its bollocks off all the time and the foot pegs caught my calfs far too manic for my liking !

The bars were fine on mine, no vibes I could ride it all day long, did 5000 miles in 6 months. You get used to the high revving nature too after a few K miles.

Just lacked a bit of character, looked a bit ugly, and luggage options were poor. Wasn't a bike I particularly bonded or fell in love with. Plus spec inc the headlights n lack of shaft drive was poor compared to a GS. It's a great bike though, just not for me decided I prefer twins.

Not for me, even though the biggest issue for me was the handlebar vibration, they would need to fit a shaft drive for me to consider it. However, I'm so pleased with my GSA I just can't see me changing it for a while.

The new bars on the R/XR have a rubber insert to get rid of vibrations

The bars were fine on mine, no vibes I could ride it all day long, did 5000 miles in 6 months. You get used to the high revving nature too after a few K miles.

Just lacked a bit of character, looked a bit ugly, and luggage options were poor. Wasn't a bike I particularly bonded or fell in love with. Plus spec inc the headlights n lack of shaft drive was poor compared to a GS. It's a great bike though, just not for me decided I prefer twins.

Back
Top Bottom