Spark plugs

Iridium cost more but engine doesn't care.
Snake oil IMO

Sent via iPhone so expect strange words

Iridium cost more but engine doesn't care.
Snake oil IMO

Sent via iPhone so expect strange words

Probably are snake oil, but here are some facts. Fitted iridium plugs to my 2009 GS at 20k miles at 60K miles they were still hardly worn and well within spec.
I purchased my 2012 twin cam at 12K miles having just had a £500.00 main dealer service done ?? checked the plugs which had not been changed ( along with just about everything else) and they were out of tolerance. the electrodes were very eroded. Hence fitting Iridium snake oil plugs.
I can only assume that the originals were only good for 12K miles unless the main dealer fitted some badly worn plugs.

Stalling in traffic/at the lights..... remove the flappy valve mate. Theory is the valve gets slow and causes the stall. I removed mine (fitted dia63mm x 70mm long tube) and no stalling. Happy days.

Flappy valve removed 10K miles ago. Still did it.

Cat removed. Still did it.

Re-map. Still did it.

Major service with fancy Iridium plugs, throttle balance and air filter. Still did it.

Long story shortened, but re-map done again as fuelling had become extremely rich. Changed both lambda probes and reverted back to the recommended plugs. Bike hasn't stalled since, but it does still stutter or threaten to stall the odd time.

Much better now, but for me the flappy valve removal didn't make any difference.

Update on this old thread.
The Denso IU24 plugs were scrap at 18K miles so now back on stock NGK plugs until a good Iridium replacement is available.

Whats the conclusion abous denso iu24 for 2010 2cam 1200gs?
Some say running more smoothly
Some say return to stock

Στάλθηκε από το JSN-L21 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

I use NGK MAR8B-JDS in my 2011 twin cam, never had any problems with them. £36.23 for four from Opie Oils.

I use NGK MAR8B-JDS in my 2011 twin cam, never had any problems with them. £36.23 for four from Opie Oils.
Me neither have no problems with stock ones...just asking if desno iu24 iridium is a better more premium choise for my engine..

Στάλθηκε από το JSN-L21 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

just changing plugs on my gs 1200 adventure, am putting bmw plugs from motorworks,
having just removed nearside plugs,the top plug looks clean and dry but bottom plug looks darker
by quite an amount, would this be a sign of coil pack breaking down, bike has done 63000 they were changed at 48000,
or is this normal,am just going back into garage to remove offside,
any reply would be appreciated,

thanks

just changing plugs on my gs 1200 adventure, am putting bmw plugs from motorworks,
having just removed nearside plugs,the top plug looks clean and dry but bottom plug looks darker
by quite an amount, would this be a sign of coil pack breaking down, bike has done 63000 they were changed at 48000,
or is this normal,am just going back into garage to remove offside,
any reply would be appreciated,

thanks
On the 1150 the lower plugs were always a bit more dirty. I'm guessing is the same for the 1200? The lower plus are, I think, mostly just to clean up the burn and make sure it is all burnt - emissions (I think also it helps smooth or the running of the motor, but don't hold me to that!)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, the other side are both sooted up,
i have put it back together with new plugs ,having changed oil this morning only run bike up in garage
this may have something to do with it, weather lousy so am not to keen to ride out,
cheers for your input,

The same on my bike 1200 gsa, lower spark plugs always darker, the bike runs well so i don't worry about it. :thumb2

Hello Nicholas, I hope you are well, I would like to contact you because I found your very interesting document "Aftermarket spark plug directory for BMW Motorrad engines - All BMW motorcycles, model-year 1999 onward."
I would have liked to have your opinion on the configuration of my motorcycle R1200GSA LC of 2015
I replaced the original spark plugs (NGK LMAR8D-J Standard) with iridium based on your info of NGK Iridium LMAR8AI-8 (normally for BMW K1600) the dimensions and spacing are identical to those of origin,
moreover it has a complete Akrapovic exhaust line,
DNA air filter, larger air intake ducts,
the bike has been reprogrammed by BR performance and displays 136.3 CV and 144.4 Nm at 6087 rpm
also I ride with 102 octane gasoline
Do you think that with this configuration I take a risk with the spark plug iridium NGK LMAR8AI-8 ???
I would really like to have your opinion on the matter,
many thanks in advance, if you have a few minutes to answer
Thank you Nicholas

PS :

NGK in Europe advised against it just because it is not indicated in the catalog but without giving me technical reasons

Louis Schweitzer from Luxembourg

Back
Top Bottom