Thoughts on the Metzler Karoo 3

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was asked to say a little about my experiences with a pair of Karoo 3's fitted to my 1150GS Adv.

Unfortunately all my big off road trips this year have been using a different bike so the Karoo's have been used for a mix of road, much of it on the GS for my work as a bike instructor, some light trail riding and a two up blast around Ireland and it's wonderful Boreens.

I guess the most obvious and popular comparisons are to be made with the TKC80 and Heidenau K60 both of which I've used many times.
Yes I know there's plenty of other tyres out there to have made comparisons with, Mitas etc. etc. but this for me is about a relatively new tyre muscling in on a couple of old GS favourites.

Many of us know all about the TKC 80 fitted to the GS, a pretty good all round tyre, where the rear initial wear rate is alarmingly fast, useless on any mud, lasts perhaps 4k miles depending on use but then the rear becomes so bad you consider selling your bike. :D
Other than the front cupping through heavy braking it's pretty good, inspiring confidence on fast dry gravel and dirt. Having said that the 21" TKC80 I used on a KTM 950 adv was one of the most dangerous tyres I've used on tarmac in recent years!

That's pretty much what I'd expect from a true duel sport tyre on a heavy bike and as an offroad tyre bias tyre it gets the thumbs up and have served me well for years:thumb

P1020490-XL.jpg

So then there's the K60 Heidenau, useless offroad in anything slippy, the continuous central band on the last rear I had made hard acceleration or braking in the wet down right dangerous, no problem at all in dry 'offroad' conditions and I'd been after a tough duel sport tyre that would last a long time.... well, I suppose it did but at the cost of performance and handling.
So Heidenau K60? looks the part, lasts reasonably well, useless on slippy tarmac.
For me great when new but become uninspiring through use.

P1020913-XL.jpg

P1020136-XL.jpg

I love having new tyres and here's the rear Karoo 3.
The old K60 (right) had long had a slow puncture from a repair so got ditched earlier than normal perhaps.

P1030280-XL.jpg

It's important for me to be able to fit my own tyres.

P1030278-XL.jpg

Use a ratchet strap to help seat the tyre bead.

P1030282-XL.jpg

They went on fairly easily but not in that simple limp walled way some tyres do, they felt good and look great (not that that matters!!)

P1030289-XL.jpg

P1030288-XL.jpg

Right then out for a ride!

Like any tyre of this type there's some noise and I don't notice it.

It looks unconventional in that the profile is that more akin to a road tyre, the tread looks like it'll find grip in loose and slippy conditions yet the more we lean over, the more rubber is on the road.
So far it's theoretically ticking all the boxes.

Out on the road it was performing like a road tyre should, turning in easily and holding it's line very well and that as well as grip is all I ask of a duel sport tyre.
For pressure, I set them at 2 bar rear, 1.8 front.

The more I ride, the more I'm liking this tyre.
On the road, it's way better than the Heidenau in both the wet and dry, marginally better than the TKC in the dry but streets ahead in the wet.

You don't have a duel sport tyre just for the road so how is it on the normal easy type of trail these bikes are designed for?

P1030315-XL.jpg

This sort of surface isn't going to test the tyre at all but it does get suprising grip under hard accelaration.

P1030317-XL.jpg

Suprising too is the grip when braking.

P1030309-XL.jpg

Ok too when it's a little slippy on easy trails.

P1030318-XL.jpg

It's easy to find fault with any tyre when riding in various conditions, there is no holy grail.
It's copes over prolonged three figure speeds two up with luggage on duel carriageways or carrying the missus around the trails of Ireland, some of which were much, much harder than this btw!

14265039_10208928519142642_4579287730114912840_n.jpg

14211986_10208928519422649_6281501080000224172_n.jpg

Is there a fault?

Ermmm, well I suppose the rear is way beyond it's best in terms of grip and handling at 4k miles whereas the K60 would still be 'good', ha it's never good, I mean it would last a bit longer, the TKC 80 rear would be long gone.

The front is still good so I'm looking forward to getting a new Karoo 3 rear.

So there we have it, my thoughts (if you're interested :D) on the Karoo 3 fitted to a real GS, not as an offroad tyre or a street tyre but a bit of everything, certainly gets my vote :beerjug:

IMG_0610-XL.jpg

Timely (and good) review Tim :thumb2

I was researching the Michelin Anakee Wild last night with a view to buying a pair for my 1150 - didn't consider the Karoo till now

Very pertinent post. Thank you. I have been on Tourances for my 1150s for something like 200,000 miles, TKC 80s came on the latest bike, they are OK, but wobble like crazy at low speed, almost like the headstock bearings have gone....tyre pressure did nothing to alleviate it either. Very disconcerting. Start moving beyond 30mph and it disappears, but the rumble and vibration don't. I have had a couple of proper slides, two wheel slide, using the TKCs, which has meant I am wary of them now and ride well within bounds, I don't even press on. They have lasted Ok actually, they were on the bike when I go it and Phil can't remember how many miles they had done before I took over - I have put 6000 miles on and there is another 1000 miles left in the rear, the front has hardly worn. I am no hero, nor pretend to be, but I do cover a good number if miles on a regular basis - this week I have jobs in kent, Aberystwyth and Aberdeen, I have done 684 miles over the weekend, down to Cornwall and back. I take longer to get there, cruising at a steady 75ish rather than piling on - it make fuel and tyres go much further.

So, if I can get 6000 miles out of a TKC80 (only had them on a rough track and across grass so far - much better than Tourances for that!!) Maybe the Kaoos will last me about 8000 miles? If they are better wearing than TKC80s and you will be using the throttle far harder than I do - I don't think I have ever gone over 5000 rpm on any of my 1150s, it is quite fast enough without needing to. I like grip for the road, I need it, but I also need longevity. I have done 45,000 miles since May on my bikes, that would be 10x TKCs for any of the throttle happy chappies - I have used 3 sets of tyres! :aidan The TKCs are getting to their last legs, well the rear is anyway. So I think I will get a set of these - anyone who wants a front TKC80 with only 1/3rd of the tread gone is welcome to it for a few beer vouchers or a decent bottle. :thumb

Thank you very much for the feedback, very useful and confidence inspiring. That slope with the runnel, not sure I would be able to take my 1150Adv down there, but then maybe with someone for moral support I could. I have never tried anything like that for fear of getting it wrong, dropping it and not having anyone to help me pick it up. :rolleyes:

I would be interested in a follow up on the end of this to let us know how long they lasted for full life. My Tourances I get between 13,000 (lowest) and 15,300 miles the most I got out of a set. They last OK, are great on the road but I have the fear of God of going off solid ground on them, or even wet leaves! Hopefully the Karoo 3 will be the compromise I need for miles, grip and confidence with the ability to allow me to go a bit further than the car park.

The Africa Twins at the Honda Adventure Centre in Wales all have Karoo 3 s fitted.
I was amazed what we ended up climbing and descending offroad and we also did about 90 minutes onroad at speed and the grip was amazing.
I still have a new set that were the OE tyres when my 950 SuperEnduro arrived in 2008,which got swapped for Pirelli Scorpions and now wearing Conti TA2s,but I think I'll fit the Karoos soon !

Got Karoo 3's on my 690R, rear lasted just over 600 miles, it's replacement will not last as long, very good on the road even with 16 psi, any more than that then they become very harsh off road and offer little lateral grip. Not hanging around though.

Got Karoo 3's on my 690R, rear lasted just over 600 miles, it's replacement will not last as long, very good on the road even with 16 psi, any more than that then they become very harsh off road and offer little lateral grip. Not hanging around though.

600 miles!!!!!! Holy Sh#t..

Yeah yeah but this was a deliberate review of the tyre for general riding on a GS.
I wrecked two rear tyres on my 640 in Iceland this year, one was a Michelin Desert but don't really feel that's a reflection of the tyres I used :)

Back
Top Bottom