Barcelona Bike Hire for Pyrenees

Sgt.Cupid

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This will be me and the wifes first motorcycle trip out of Blighty, so cut me some slack... as I've probably overlooked something obvious :nenau

Anyway, going for a week in the Pyrenees next July and after a little number crunching, unless I'm missing something, it seems very close on costs to fly/hire than use my own bike...fuel/tyres/ferries/tolls/boring motorways etc.

I can get an Africa Twin with luggage and 300km per day for 90euros a day from here... http://www.spainmotorent.com/?ver=Inicio

So I was wondering if anyone has used them before? And also any little nuggets of wisdom gleened by all you well travelled seasoned tourers :rob

Thanks in advance :thumby:

I would be a little concerned about the comfort of the AT for two up riding, your lady may not be as comfortable as on say a r1200gs, its just a thought you may wish to consider, i have no first hand experience on the back of one, but a friend has one and his wife is not a happy bunny on the back.
With reference to fly and hire, for me it would make sense if the trip was a shortish one, say less than 7-8 days, but any longer and i would be riding down and doing the trip half on big roads and half on smaller more interesting roads. but as its your trip, its down to what you want, and sod what others may want to do. You did ask for nuggets though. You could always take the boat to Santander or Bilbao as another alternative, costly yes but its part of the trip with your own bike.

I have not been on an AT. But if they are uncomfortable for the pillion, and your wife is not comfortable on the back, it will spoil both your holidays. As it is your first trip abroad, she may not want to go again if she has a bad experience.

Just my 2 pence worth.:thumb2

The best deal in town is Rent-a-Tiger. Speak with Anton in his perfect English and collect your bike two minutes from Sants station - direct on the line form the airport.

Regs

Simoj

I too think the AT is better as a solo bike, only have two-up experience on sportsbikes and a GS / Yamaha Super Tenere.

According to the Mrs the Super Tenere and GS were both very good, this was the earlier GS, but the latest one I am fairly certain would be a good choice, I would also make a wild guess a 1200 Explorer would also best the Honda for two-up touring.....

....if you class flying off somewhere and taking a bike out for an extended test ride as touring :D

The overnight ferries to Santander are also a good option, we did this on the Pont Aven which was quite nice with a cinema to pass a few hours and by the time we had watched the boat sail off, eat, drank, slept, watch the boat coming in there was surprisingly little time to get bored.

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming...

The way I see the trip going is fly into Barca, then a week in the pyrenees (camping at Fillols on the French side already booked, BTW) on the bike followed by up to a week on foot in Barcelona before we fly back.

I will have to look into the pillion comfort thing, cos even on the back of my '05 1200GS the missus get numb bum after about 150miles. I only picked the AT as it was about 100euros cheaper for the week. And I'm a massive skin flint ;)

I did look at the various ferry routes, chunnel and even the Autotrain to Perpignan but which ever way I sliced it, costs where really close to the Fly/Hire option. We are limited to the school holidays as the wife works in one and it seems that as of summer hols break up on Friday 21st ferry prices go up or are already booked and we need to be at the campsite on the 23rd.

I looked at Hire a Tiger after spotting it in one of your older posts, but we are both proper tosser size and with luggage on top I think the 800 wouldn't cut it. And I had a test ride on one a few years back and found a bit breathless unless you kept it buzzing

The way I see the trip going is fly into Barca, then a week in the pyrenees (camping at Fillols on the French side already booked, BTW) on the bike followed by up to a week on foot in Barcelona before we fly back.

I will have to look into the pillion comfort thing, cos even on the back of my '05 1200GS the missus get numb bum after about 150miles. I only picked the AT as it was about 100euros cheaper for the week. And I'm a massive skin flint ;)

I did look at the various ferry routes, chunnel and even the Autotrain to Perpignan but which ever way I sliced it, costs where really close to the Fly/Hire option. We are limited to the school holidays as the wife works in one and it seems that as of summer hols break up on Friday 21st ferry prices go up or are already booked and we need to be at the campsite on the 23rd.

I looked at Hire a Tiger after spotting it in one of your older posts, but we are both proper tosser size and with luggage on top I think the 800 wouldn't cut it. And I had a test ride on one a few years back and found a bit breathless unless you kept it buzzing

If you felt a tiger was underpowered and not roomy enough, I would not go wth the AT. Again this is a personal choice but a week in barca would not be my thing, when you could be touring around on bike visiting different places.

I'm just back from a weeks riding the Pyrenees where I rented a tiger 800 from the above mentioned rent a tiger. 95 euros a day with unlimted kms over 7 days hire. He also hires out GS's and various other type bikes. As stated it is a stones throw from the Sants railway station. On the flip sde, there is Hispania-tours who rent out GS at 105 euros a day, which is what I will probably go with next year, any questions just ask, as I say only back a week from there.

An Airhawk would help a lot for your wifes numb bum. My wife won't ride without hers.

If you felt a tiger was underpowered and not roomy enough, I would not go wth the AT. Again this is a personal choice but a week in barca would not be my thing, when you could be touring around on bike visiting different places.

Its more the weight than the room on the tiger for the buzzy 800 motor to cope with. I was lead to believe the AT had good torque at lower revs and that would make for a more relaxed ride and thought it would be a good chance to try a different bike. Maybe I'll have to cough up the extra for a 1200 GS
The time in Barcelona is for the wife, she's wanted to there go for ages. And its a pretty cool city with lots to see and do.

I'm just back from a weeks riding the Pyrenees where I rented a tiger 800 from the above mentioned rent a tiger. 95 euros a day with unlimted kms over 7 days hire. He also hires out GS's and various other type bikes. As stated it is a stones throw from the Sants railway station. On the flip sde, there is Hispania-tours who rent out GS at 105 euros a day, which is what I will probably go with next year, any questions just ask, as I say only back a week from there.

Cheers Cabby, would be interested to hear your recommendations as to what to see/do and routes to get there. Also anywhere you think should be avoided too.
I'll give Anton a call and have a chat about other bikes.

Its more the weight than the room on the tiger for the buzzy 800 motor to cope with. I was lead to believe the AT had good torque at lower revs and that would make for a more relaxed ride and thought it would be a good chance to try a different bike. Maybe I'll have to cough up the extra for a 1200 GS
The time in Barcelona is for the wife, she's wanted to there go for ages. And its a pretty cool city with lots to see and do.

Fully understand the needs and wants of the good lady, my gal is just the same, she has spent a week in barca and said three days would have been enough, although she had to rely on public transport while she was there, and was a bit tied to venture very far out of the city.
There are plenty of places to visit on both sides of the pyrenees, you will be spoilt for choice, if you have not already done so,take a look at the ride report section this will give you plenty of ideas, i have been over that way a few times and have done a couple of reports from around the area, below is a link to this years trip.
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/431324-The-pain-to-Spain-tour

Cheers Cabby, would be interested to hear your recommendations as to what to see/do and routes to get there. Also anywhere you think should be avoided too.
I'll give Anton a call and have a chat about other bikes.

Firstly, the place you linked for bike hire is a stones throw from the rent a tiger place, so there are two options for you.

I have no idea what it would be like in July other than I guess pretty dam hot and much busier, mid September was absolutely deserted, everywhere. It was unquestionably the best biking trip I've ever done. I headed to a small place near Ripoll just off the N260 for two nights. The N260 is an amazing road, but don't be fooled by it being the only road. Get a michelin map of the area and any yellow road on their maps are fantastic. Also, white roads, you'll barely be able to see them on the map, they are usually 4 figure numbers (i.e. 4241 from Berga.

I then spent two nights in Jaca, where I did most of the N260 but also the 137, 140 etc etc. Places to avoid ? Honestly can't think of any other than Barcelona, it's heaving. The roads on the French side are busier and narrower so would guess in July that would be hard work. I'll post some pics off my phone in my next posting to show you how busy the Spanish side is in September.

Car park at a ski resort, obviously a ski resort is going to be quiet but I guess in summer this would be a tad busier..

bb1c29639457e39a7cd0e34dc8198a9f.jpg

At another...

3aba175fcd0ad764a9fd38043c04cb5e.jpg

45234dabba456efdd35809e701b023c9.jpg

67980bdc7e5948bbbca991c1250cdddb.jpg

Nice Pics Cabby...I see what you mean when you say deserted !
Unfortunately I can only get away during UK school holidays, so probably be a bit busier for me.

Fully understand the needs and wants of the good lady, my gal is just the same, she has spent a week in barca and said three days would have been enough, although she had to rely on public transport while she was there, and was a bit tied to venture very far out of the city.
There are plenty of places to visit on both sides of the pyrenees, you will be spoilt for choice, if you have not already done so,take a look at the ride report section this will give you plenty of ideas, i have been over that way a few times and have done a couple of reports from around the area, below is a link to this years trip.
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/431324-The-pain-to-Spain-tour

All I can says is....Wow!
Thoroughly enjoyed reading your RR, the pics are great and also had a little look at your vids too. Any chance you can send me as link to that circular ride you mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom