Time to rethink the sleeping mat?

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For years I have used my trusty thermarest for wild camping where there is a trade-off with comfort and weight when hiking/mountaineering. As I'm doing more biking and camping I'm looking for more comfort and wondered what mats/mattresses 'bikermates' are using that pack down nicely on the bike?

Cheers
Glenn

plus 1 for the Exped down mat. i have the 7lw slightly smaller and lighter than the above, but not quiet as warm, but i dont camp in the snow.

Or Helinox cot?

Reassuringly expensive .... but worth every penny.
I'd never go back to easily punctured mats.....

Exped Down Mattress. "End Of Story. Goodbye. The End. Any Questions?" (Alastor 'Mad-Eye' Moody, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire) :D

My sleep system comprises the Exped 7DLX but the 9DLX is better but this wasn't available when I bought mine... a Thermarest Ventra down duvet (better than a sleeping bag IMO), a Thermarest fitted sheet (soft, comfy & quiet) & a Nemo Fillo pillow (cushioned & inflatable). I sometimes supplement the Ventra (or use instead of when it's hot) a Thermarest Tech blanket. I learned quickly that a good nights sleep can make or break any trip. I went through numerous sleeping pads and the Exped is the best and it packs as small as any on the market.

We use these (or rather the previous model!).
Other half has disc issues so can't consider anything less "luxurious".
Not cheap and don't pack down very small but worth every penny in our opinion

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Thermarest-DreamTime.html

It's quite a cumbersome pack when there are two of us :D

Attachments

• 20160520_101700.jpg
    20160520_101700.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,313
Cheapo inflatable mattress, works for me, It's not posh, but it is comfy.

Another vote for Exped down mat. I tried the thermarest neolite in Iceland but found I was a bit stiff (ooh err missus) and sore in the morning and didn't sleep that well. Back to the Exped recently and got a really good night's sleep with no aches and pains :thumb2

I've settled with an exped downmat 9LW and a cheap Chinese copy bed that I bought using a link on here from Amazon. The bed isn't necessary but adds a nice curve that holds you in on top of the mat. I would like a different bag that isn't mummy shaped or go the fitted route like Stephen has.

I very nearly gave up camping but the exped mat did the trick, never spent a more comfortable warm night under canvas, i got the bigger one which is ideal and its important not to over inflate (not really a problem with the awful built in inflation device!!)

Thanks everyone. The downmat looks popular but I wouldn't mind checking out the cot system either. As has been said a good night's kip can make or break a trip. Next will be a pillow which has previously been a rolled up fleece. Cheers :thumb

Exped mega mat 10.....sadly doesn't pack small, but it's as good as being in your own bed.

I used a similar thing from Outwell together with a sleeping bag meant for carp fishing.....again, just like sleeping in your own bed but it takes up soooo much room. Thought it wouldn't be a problem as I only camp while on my own but God it takes up the whole rear end of the bike....have to take the top box off just to fit the mat and bag.

I don't know if the valves are the same, but if you'd bought a Thermarest Neoair, you could've pumped it up easlly with one of these.
Also, if you're on the hunt for a good pillow, the best money can buy that I found were Quixote Travel Pillows. For me, the Primaloft can't be beat.:thumb

I have the helinox cot and it's fantastic! I'm a fat bastard and air mats aren't designed for fattys!

Back
Top Bottom