Fuel pump

Mongolian Explorer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I believe there is an alternative to the BMW fuel pump for the R 1150 GS
Can someone point me in the correct direction
Thank you

Yep I have installed audi 80 pump in my 1100GS but on mine I had to change the electrial connection inside the tank to the plug that came with the pump but quite a simple job. Recommend you change the fuel filter at the same time and make sure the hoses inside the tank are in good condition.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wow I paid £25 for a BMW one and it’s been perfect and quite for 16,000 miles

Wow I paid £25 for a BMW one and it’s been perfect and quite for 16,000 miles

Not sure what this post means - or what help it is:confused:

Are you offering the OP the source of a BMW pump for £25 - Motorworks charge £75 for a secondhand BMW one.

Cheers.........................Grizzly:beerjug:

The internal tank connections will not fit directly to that pump. You wil need to modify your wiring. You might find it easier to get a pump that would be a direct replacement.

Which would be...?????

This one says it is a direct replacement... how does one know?

Which would be...?????

Because this is what the end of the OEM Fuel pump looks like......the electrical connections are different from the pump you have tagged.

Just because the suppliers say it’s a direct replacement doesn’t necessarily mean it is. If they supply you with the item as shown in their pictures, it will not be direct replacement, you will have to modify your in tank wiring. Some suppliers include a connector and leads to carry out the modification, which is fine if you want to deviate from standard. But why bother modifying your bike when there are pumps out there which are a direct replacement.

Ian

Attachments

• BB38AB85-657D-4C74-9288-1A150DC0EBF7.jpeg
    BB38AB85-657D-4C74-9288-1A150DC0EBF7.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 235
Which would be...?????

Learn to listen to people who are offering you real advice instead of questioning everything you're told when your knowledge on the subject is non existent.

Learn to listen to people who are offering you real advice instead of questioning everything you're told when your knowledge on the subject is non existent.

But there was no indication of which is the RIGHT one - he just left me hanging with the one I saw was wrong.... but no idea of which is the right one. Not very helpful.

But there was no indication of which is the RIGHT one - he just left me hanging with the one I saw was wrong.... but no idea of which is the right one. Not very helpful.

I seem to have upset you in some way or other, but anyway I shall put that to one side.

You have to ask yourself how you came to search and find the item you tagged. When you specifically ruled out a pump closer to the OEM pump which others had purchased and fitted to some success.

I was only trying to point out that the pump you had selected, whilst being cheap would required extra work in modifying you tank wiring in order for the pump to fit. If you are happy to either make those modifications, or know someone who can then fair enough crack on.

Either way it is not my concern which pump you choose to fit. Neither is it up to me to show you which item to purchase. A search just on eBay produced over 10 suppliers with what I would consider to be similar in fit, form and function to the OEM pump. All varying in price, and probably in quality. How could I possibly advise you which one to buy?

Anyway, the good news is there are plenty of suitable pumps available, and you don’t have to pay BMW prices.

Ian

Probably not as cheap as the Audi one but comes with a lifetime guarantee! Direct fit and has been working perfectly on my 1150 for 20k miles now :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111679426968?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Agree, just fitted to my 1150, very quiet and early indications good.

I also fitted one of these a year ago, easy swop and a very quiet pump:thumb

Cheers..............................Grizzly:beerjug:

You have three recommendations of the right/correct pump, and with a link to enable you to buy one .
Just how helpful do you need people to be ?

You have three recommendations of the right/correct pump, and with a link to enable you to buy one .
Just how helpful do you need people to be ?

I apologise - I was thrown off the scent by someone saying they got one for £25 that worked well.....

Hopefully I won't need one!

Back
Top Bottom