640 adv,time for some tlc

Didn't I mention how expensive parts can be.....:jager
In fairness to ktm most of the bits are about what you would expect,
I suppose I could have sourced some bearings from a wholesaler,I could have fitted a pattern conrod kit.
But you know where you stand with genuine OE.
I doubt it would be cheaper to rebuild a jap motor.
At least ktm engines are designed to be rebuilt,separate bearings for camshafts etc,instead of them running directly in the head.

Why the conrod Kit Mike? and the crank rebuild ?

Surely if it has been regularly serviced ??

Perhaps a silly question or maybe folks just ride the nads off them because they are gutless other than off road?

Yes! You have a point there and I know you are enjoying getting to know the bike too! Ready for whatever Spain and the VINCE throw at you.:D

Why the conrod Kit Mike? and the crank rebuild ?

Surely if it has been regularly serviced ??

Perhaps a silly question or maybe folks just ride the nads off them because they are gutless other than off road?
Hi jay,purely preventive,
I don't want to be messing pulling it apart again.
Better to KNOW the motor is good rather than just thinking so:thumb

Great, the concern regarding the piston on my bike is that it's run with an FCR most of it's life and I'm questioning whether it's damaged the piston crown through any detonation, guess there's only one way to find out :beerjug:

Lights aren't particularly great as standard so I run both as HID through relays and altered the wiring so dip stays on with main and they're brilliant, with the new LEDs available though I would now consider two Cyclops bulbs to free up some power for 'other stuff' but that get's expensive!
Stop/tail bulbs and the holder take a hammering offroad, I use a good led bulb but the holder's gone weak now.

I seem to remember it's cheap enough to replace all parts in the water pump and I may look at it again whilst doing the cam followers.

Good luck with the carb, my jetting is probably of little use to you as it has a JD needle etc.

I'm hoping the carb jetting will be pretty close as is:augie
It was off a 640 so fingers crossed.
Was looking at led conversions but cyclops don't seem to list a h1 fitting,
I'm always a bit concerned about products that have not been tried and recommended,don't want to end up with lamps that blind oncoming traffic,
I have a set of h1 leds to fit to a customers 1150 so may pop them in and try them,see what the beam pattern is like:)

Nice, do those notches need filing down where the plates have worn the basket or is it ok?

EDIT: daft question, you'd have filed them if they needed it:blast:D so a sensible question, did you go with OEM plates as I know they're expensive?!

Keen eye:thumb
They look a lot worse on the photo than in the metal,you can hardly feel any wear in reality
Edit, yes oem plates:thumb
Had bad experiences with ebc clutch plates on the rotax motors,just wouldn't handle the torque:mad:

New bearings and seals etc on the swinging arm pivots.
I deliberated for quite a while whether to powder the arm or polish it.
But it's a lot easier to keep clean this way,means I can use nasty degreasers without staining the alloy:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 336

Back
Top Bottom