640 adv,time for some tlc

All seems fine, starts, runs and no fuel leaks.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 336
It's good stuff, twin wall ethanol friendly so stays flexible and is a pig to get on and off.

Product Information
ARIETE PETROL PIPE FOR UNLEADED FUEL:
6MM BORE, 9MM OUTSIDE DIAMETER (ONE FOOT LENGTH)
INNER TUBE STANDS UP TO UNLEADED FUELS
OUTER MAUVE PROTECTS FROM HIGH TEMPERATURES MECHANICAL STRESS AND ATMOSPHERIC AGENTS
SHRINK-PROOF
RESISTS EMBRITTLEMENT REMAINS FLEXIBLE
DURABLE
TRANSLUCENT SO DIRTY FUEL IS VISIBLE THROUGH PIPE

Hi Magnon in #143 you managed to get the ariete 6mm onto the fuel taps. I tried to do the same with the ariete on my 640 Adv and failed to get the pipe on. I used a heat gun to but just couldn't manage it, how did you do it ?

M

Hi Magnon in #143 you managed to get the ariete 6mm onto the fuel taps. I tried to do the same with the ariete on my 640 Adv and failed to get the pipe on. I used a heat gun to but just couldn't manage it, how did you do it ?

M
Hi BK, well do two things first find a small socket from a 1/4" drive set and force the tube over and leave for a while (you could also use something tapered like a centre punch) this will help pre-shape the tube, then when your ready to fit, soften the first 10mm of the tube by placing the tube and socket into a cup of boiling water. Hope this helps. The two link taps seem to have slightly smaller flares on the brass tubes so don't think you'll have the same issue with these.

''Tis better after some adjustments,but still snatchy below 3k
Took it for a run up to Newark this morning ,came back with a leaking fork seal:blast
Only part on the bike I havnt touched:comfort
Will whip the forks out next week and give them a service and new seals,
I know from previous owner that they have never been touched from new so they were on the list to do at some point .
I would have preferred to have tried the bike on the rough stuff before pulling them apart :mad:
Think I'll fit the flat slide rather than piss about with the standard one:D

Think I'll fit the flat slide rather than piss about with the standard one:D

Go for it :D

You know the standard rubber boot doesn't fit and the 625 boot is very tight (for length), I ended up making mine using both by cutting them with a big overlap and gluing them together :)

I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea to order the boot from a 640 enduro,but have no idea if the air box is the same one,will check the parts diagrams
Edit,625 has same air box so I'll order a new intake pipe,it's only £6!

I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea to order the boot from a 640 enduro,but have no idea if the air box is the same one,will check the parts diagrams

640E is the same as the adv I think as it also uses the same carb/airbox and it elbows down slightly from the carb to airbox, it's the 625 one which has an fcr you need.
It'll make sense if you fit the FCR and offer up the standard boot :beerjug:

640E is the same as the adv I think as it also uses the same carb/airbox and it elbows down slightly from the carb to airbox, it's the 625 one which has an fcr you need.
It'll make sense if you fit the FCR and offer up the standard boot :beerjug:
Just made some part number comparisons,you are correct on all points:thumb
Out of interest,which high mudguard is the one to fit?
Standard mx/ enduro or is there a different one that works with the 640?

Try the mudguard from early exc 400/525, think you're on a single disc already so no other probs other than the twin disc master cylinder was shite with a single disc :)

I happened to have a brand new F650 Brembo mater cylinder so used that, can't remember piston dia off hand but it may be 12mm, standard one works but feels horrible and wooden, 950Se 690E are the obvious alternatives but this f650 one is perfect and more than adequate on the road. Front pads are same as 950/990.

I find the rear a bit of an on/off switch on wet slippy roads so switched to hard pads and even considered cutting the face down a bit (but didn't:D), I boiled the back brake once in the Rockies coming down a steep track, alarming but came back once cooled.
Now use 5.1 fluid and make sure I have heat shields between the pad and piston :)

Back
Top Bottom