When and where to go.

ChasF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I would like to do a road/off road trip to Morocco. I realize that I can't do everything in a 2 to 3 week trip so I'm trying to focus on the best route that will take in many of the best bits. I'd like to explore the mountains but I gather that this might not be practical, due to snow, in the winter. I seem to remember that when the Paris Dakar rallye was going through in early January, some years could be 30 degrees plus and others bitterly cold or wet.

The other issue with going in January is the trip down through France and Spain. The westerly route through Spain via Salamanca and Seville seems to be the shortest but I imagine it gets pretty cold up on the Spanish plain.

A lot of people seem to favour April or May but I'm concerned that it will be getting too hot by then.

Any advice on when and good routes much appreciated.

I'm in Morocco now Chas and have been to fez, midelt, merzouga, up todra to imilchil and looped around over mountains to dades gorge ( fantastic scenery) down to ouarzazate and then ait benhadou through to N9 and over atlas to Marrakech where I am at the mo..... back over tizi n test tomorrow..... weather is very good... up to 28o and as low as 8o in mountains...... very little rain so far.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi John, thanks for the info. Looks as if my best laid plans for a trip next Spring will have to be delayed until the Autumn now. Seems that end of October/early November would be good although riding down and back through Spain may be a bit cool.

What bike are you on - are you riding off road as well?

Hi Chas
I'm on a GSA bit of off road. It mainly road however the road in the mountains has a habit of disappearing.... To be honest you can see spectacular scenery without knackering your bike... and you... I'm on my way up spain now but I do "proper tours" around Morocco... 10, 11 or 12 days staying in good hotels in top locations ..... if you need any info pm me. Moroccan Motorcycle tours.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, I've also read your posts in the Lord Snooty's thread etc..

For the first time ever I might give an organised tour a second look. The price you quoted is for two people?

I've travelled from the UK to South Africa (via the east Africa route) and many, many other places always independently and mostly on the same old cronk you see in my avatar. I've been to Morocco on family holidays as it's a popular destination with the French and therefore cheap flights are plentiful, speaking French is handy as well. Oddly though I've never been on the bike but now it's come to the top of the list I just can't decide what to do. The old cronk is being shipped to NZ for another adventure later next year and I'm thinking of getting something else for Euro road tours next year. Road tours in my case are always with my wife but she won't do even gentle off road these days after too many thousands of miles on dirt roads in Africa. Also been looking into a more off road sort of trip on my KTM 690 but definately not keen on a tour as I prefer to travel not race. I would like to link up with someone else just for safety reasons - there seem to be quite a few others doing similar things on the HU forum.

Decisions, Decisions...

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, I've also read your posts in the Lord Snooty's thread etc..

For the first time ever I might give an organised tour a second look. The price you quoted is for two people?

I've travelled from the UK to South Africa (via the east Africa route) and many, many other places always independently and mostly on the same old cronk you see in my avatar. I've been to Morocco on family holidays as it's a popular destination with the French and therefore cheap flights are plentiful, speaking French is handy as well. Oddly though I've never been on the bike but now it's come to the top of the list I just can't decide what to do. The old cronk is being shipped to NZ for another adventure later next year and I'm thinking of getting something else for Euro road tours next year. Road tours in my case are always with my wife but she won't do even gentle off road these days after too many thousands of miles on dirt roads in Africa. Also been looking into a more off road sort of trip on my KTM 690 but definately not keen on a tour as I prefer to travel not race. I would like to link up with someone else just for safety reasons - there seem to be quite a few others doing similar things on the HU forum.

Decisions, Decisions...

Hi Chas

The price is single but we are doing an offer if booked in 2016 for the pillion at £500
I'm aware that I am selling this but it is a superb tour and as a biker I do this for enjoyment not just profit.
Feel free to call me anytime on 07557 652420

Regards

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom