Its Turbo Time!

Shep

Shep of the Dessert
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New project collected yesterday, it will be spending some time on the bench i suspect!

Been stood for many years, not bad condition but needs plenty doing just to get it going!

14256600_1329188820449212_1145988585_n-M.jpg

Nice, looks pretty good nick.

Yes I bought it blind on the strength of the photo's, it is in very good condition for a 30+ year old bike, but it has some annoying damage, its been laid on its side at some point and there are cracks and bodges in the fairing and other plastics, and a really annoying scrape on the otherwise lovely standard black chrome exhaust. A quick look shows its been a while unused, the fuel is like orange juice and the fuel filter is black!!

Love those, my mate Andy had one in the 80's with him on that and me on my GPZ900R we used to do things like "lets have a weekend in Denmark..."

Spent more time in petrol stations then doing anything else.....

New project collected yesterday, it will be spending some time on the bench i suspect!

Been stood for many years, not bad condition but needs plenty doing just to get it going!

x

Thats a cracking project, quite rare the Kwak turbos, and from what I remember sensitive to good clean oil. Long nights enjoy.

x

Thats a cracking project, quite rare the Kwak turbos, and from what I remember sensitive to good clean oil. Long nights enjoy.

Indeed, getting quite sought after and the prices are rising now, clean oil is king for any turbo, but these in particular didn't help themselves by fitting a clutch damper made from a rubber that degraded in oil!! The 'particles' were left suspended in the oil until eventually they blocked the turbo oil feed filter = bye bye turbo! Modern mods include mods to the oil feed & the two sumps along with Viton clutch dampers to replace the originals.
Quite a few potentially big money problems on these (mostly avoided with thoughtful maintenance) luckily there is a collection of very clever guys around that manage to keep them running through knowledge gained over years of experience, i hope to pick their brains to make sure this ends up a good un.
My initial plans were to change the oils and fit a battery and try and run it, whilst thats basically still the plan, there are a few steps to be added to the process to prevent damage to the turbo and fuel systems

Nice, I always fancied having the turbo but never got round to it.

At the time I had one of these

bikepics-2195354-full.jpg

which kept me amused :D

Nothing...the same as it has to do with you what I post you miserable git....however, like Twizz in the post above mine, my mate had a turbo at the same time I had the RX and Twizz had the 900.....but if you're not interested..just jog on...

Don't worry about old fish breath, post away, they are all in the GPZ family anyway

I had a Unitrack GPZ 1100 as well......i'll dig out the pictures!!

Just need to put the 850 back together and the Turbo will take then it's place on the bench.

Superb stuff :)

Kwak GPz's were the poster bike of my formative years, along with 350LC's. Looking forward to this rebuild :)

Don't worry about old fish breath, post away, they are all in the GPZ family anyway

They're not all of the same family at all,actually.

The GPz range are all air cooled and thus are 'family'.
Although the bastard offspring GPz305 twin can technically be excluded.

The GPZ models such as the aforementioned GPZ1000RX and the seminal GPZ900R are liquid cooled and of a totally different design throughout.

It's all in the zed,baby. :augie

Back
Top Bottom