Garmin 590 or the Tomtom rider 410 which is best

Mark I H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi I’m in the market to update and replace my Garmin Zumo 550. But I’m unsure which one to go for the Garmin 590 or the Tomtom rider 410 which is the most reliable and which is the easiest to use. I look forward to your reply.

Hi I’m in the market to update and replace my Garmin Zumo 550. But I’m unsure which one to go for the Garmin 590 or the Tomtom rider 410 which is the most reliable and which is the easiest to use. I look forward to your reply.

Garmin 590 or the Tomtom rider 410 which is the best

590 is great.

I previously had 550 then 660.

But I'm sure Wapping will have the definitive answer-he'll be along soon but only has dial up internet so hang in there.....:aidan

ask yourself why you want to update, anything in paticular you are wanting from the new one, if its for all the bells and whistles then go for the 590, but if its for just to use as a sat nav then in my humble opinion the 550 is a very good unit, and very robust, as a navigation device it will do pretty much all you want of it.

I've had 2610, 550, 660 and now 590LM. Looking back, I should never have sold the 550, but these things move on. I was going to sell my 590 a week or so ago, but had a wee wobble and withdrew it as it is a good piece of kit. Now back to thinking about selling, but considering 'downsizing' to a 345 model.

Two threads running on the same subject from the same OP.

Now combined into one.

AS a long term Tom Tom user I'd plump for the 410. I've been using a 400 since they came out and even though it was a change from the usual TT software I get on fine with it now. i.e. it now does all I expect from a bike sat nav unit. imports itineraries, skips waypoints if required etc..
The 410 (400) also has the "twisty route" options between 2 points , and apparently has a lot of routes stored which the 400 did not.

I used to use TYRE to plan routes but now us myrouteapp.com which works on a pc, tablet, mobile for my route planning.

Never used a Garmin unit but if the issues listed in the forum are anything to go by, I never will. ;)

Whichever you choose I'm sure you will adapt to it pretty quick as we tend to.:thumb2

Feck me, how many times do you want / need to ask the same question?

Third thread on the same subject from the same OP combined into one.

As is usually the case Tom Tom owners will suggest Tom Tom, Garmin owners will suggest Garmin ..... that's hardly a sound recommendation!

I use a 590LM, I'm not going to recommend it over the Tom Tom because I've never had one, but it's definitely a worthwhile step up from the 550 if only for the feature that it links to a smartphone and will give details about what is "up ahead", traffic delays etc. The whole unit is a major step on from a 550, plus reliability is massively improved.

Ive used both Garmin and Tomtom, i sold the garmin in favour of the Tom tom as i find it much easier to use. The setup of the mobile (iphone) and headset a cardo G9X is much simpler with the Tomtom. So i will be sticking with the Tomtom for the future, i have also been looking at the newer model 410 and like what i have read about it. So am thinking of upgrading from my current rider v5 for one of the newer units.

Tom Tom make superb GPS units and I would be very happy to buy one for the wife. I will stick to Garmin thank you very much.

I would have thought that the near Garmin equivalent to the Tom Tom units you mention would be the Zumo 395LM. The 595 mount contains a mass of wires that you may not want.

Ive used both Garmin and Tomtom, i sold the garmin in favour of the Tom tom as i find it much easier to use. The setup of the mobile (iphone) and headset a cardo G9X is much simpler with the Tomtom. So i will be sticking with the Tomtom for the future, i have also been looking at the newer model 410 and like what i have read about it. So am thinking of upgrading from my current rider v5 for one of the newer units.

I bought the TomTom 410, tried to get on with it and failed miserably.
Don't think you are going to operate it with gloves on as you wont (unless very thin). Buttons are small
and menus clumsy to operate when on the move (i know, i know) so coupled with the lack of response to the gloved hand
makes it impossible to select (say) a petrol station on the move or to check the route and other stuff.
to get the traffic and other extra services the 410 has to be tethered to your phone so, no signal no extra services.
Plan a Thrill!! give me strength, who the feck dreamed that title up?
Another thing is that it takes an age to boot from fully off but you can put it to sleep which of course will run the battery down.
There were other issues but can't be bothered trying to list them. Oh. yes, just remembered, due to the screen some information was difficult to read on it.
I did find it easier to see with the screen orientated to the vertical. Another thing, the bike mount lock is not a patch on the V5 one.

The final straw though was the screen misting up. Cold morning, set off and noticed i couldn't see the map due to a big oval
of condensation inside the screen, WTF this lasted for over an hour. I googled the problem and it's all over the forums about it.
There are people that have had multiple replacements which have all done the same.

I got the 410 a week or so after xmas and it has now gone back for a full refund as i can't stand the feckin' thing, it's a POS.

Thank feck i kept hold of my lovely V5 TomTom which, for ease of operation and other reasons is, imo streets better than the 410. :clap

There are, of course, other opinions.

PS.
A downside to sending it back is i have lost access to the free world maps including Morocco where i'll be in March.
Oh. well, i have a good map so, good to go :D

The only reason that stops me getting a Tom Tom, is that they do not have a dedicated mapping program.

You have to have internet access to create and upload a custom route, from another source. With Garmin you can have a very good program on a net book/small laptop and use it anywhere... and despite what people may say.. internet access isn't available everywhere.

Aye must admit not even been out on the bike yet with the 410 and pissed off with it, thing takes an age to download your phone contacts each time, on my second reset i cant see this marriage lasting long.

Have to agree with many other points raised in previous posts..

Now what was i saying about Garmin :)

I have used Garmins since 2007, street pilots, 550, 660 (briefly) Nav V , montana and a 590, on various bikes both on-road and off-road but these days, I much prefer to use a phone - specifically a water resistant /proof Android phone. I am currently using a Nomu S10 (rugged phone, dual Sim or Sim plus an SD card, 5000mAh battery! and IP68). Cost of this phone - £120 from Amazon.

I use a variety of navigation apps with offline maps from a multitude of sources. If I want I can set up routes very quickly using offline or online routing engines, I can download and upload tracks, get turn by turn voice guidance for both routes and tracks and in short, get a whole lot more than I ever get from a Garmin.

This particular phone runs pretty well all day on battery only but can of course be hooked up to power if required.

Good solution that using the phone and that is a cracking price for the Nomu S10 hadnt heard of them. What apps do you tend to use??

I use Locus Map Pro for anything off the beaten track and I also use the TomTom app for a lot of riding on normal roads. TomTom in the Android version (not unfortunately in the iPhone version) is able to provide turn by turn voice instructions for even very complex TRACKs which the web based Tomtom app will automatically download to he phone app., not just routes. You can send your gpx files to the web and hey presto, they they are on your phone.

On the phone I also have Viewranger, Osmand and a bunch of lesser known navigation apps which I play with from time to time, including some which will download the wonderful Spanish and Catalunya mapping agencies maps for use in Spain and especially the Catalan Pyrenees. On the whole the first two I mentioned are the ones I use for about 80% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom