Should I - after comfort esp for the passenger

niccapotamus

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right - some history.

Back to biking some years ago with a Harley Sportster - too small for both of us and bugger all that cleaning.

BMW R1150RT - lovely. Engine a bit low revving - and numb fingers/hands from the vibration. Too hot (fairing too good). Sue loved being pillion and fell asleep lots.

FJR1300 - this was just before my heart attack and depression and stuff so haven't ridden much in the last 2 years (before that i was 10K a year) but lets be honest - I like to enjoy the scenery, the bars make my wrists ache, the engine vibrates through the left side so Sue gets numb feet, I get numb hands and feet and it isn't as comfortable as the Beemer despite new seat, screen, bar adustments, anti vibe pegs and all that bollocks (BMW's don't seem to need all that fettling)

So I'd like a naked to get some air, and the boss wants comfort. I would like a nice upright, less weight on the bars riding position. Not sure if Sue would like the windblast as passenger on a naked.

What do you guys think about a GS perhaps? Can't afford a sexy new model as it would have to be a straight swap (ish) for the FJR - so lets say I have about £4500 to play with. Isn't the 1200 more balanced than the 1150 (removes a vibration issue).

I could also do with getting my Mojo back after the health issues.

ta
nick

The 1200 engines are much smoother than the 1100/1150 motors.

If you can't find the 1200GS of your dreams, there are lots of good alternatives such as the Suzuki DL bikes.

Can't say my FJR has much in the way of vibes TBH - a 2014 ES by the way. Are you sure it's not just a case of the throttle bodies being out of balance? Easily addressed with a re-sync.

The simple fact is most twins, even with balancer systems, will produce vibes at some point in the rev range. Some swear by Grip Puppies if the vibes mainly affect the bars; some wear thicker gloves; some play around with bars/bar end weights. Often it's a case that the rider just needs to relax their grip. Only a straight 6 has good natural balance, but I hasten to add my experiences with a 2012 K16 would not lead me to recommend one at any cost.

Why not get along to your local dealers & see what fits the two of you best & then re-focus your search accordingly. You have several, including the multi-franchised Fowlers on your patch. If a good Yamaha tech can't sort out your FJR vibes, then I would be thinking VFR800, as a good all-rounder, with your budget, or maybe a Z1000SX. Neither 800/1200 GSs will offer quite the ride you seek methinks.

Ride Safe ....................... KEN

Mate of mine came from a FJR1300 onto a Suzuki DL650 V Strom , uses it two up, continental touring etc , superb on fuel , tyres and brakes and comfortable all day long .

He still regularly rides FJR's and modern Triumph Blood Bikes but loves the V Strom

just taken the boss to sit on a few bikes. The beemers are coming up tops. The debate will be between the RT (which will make me overheat) or the GS which on the face of it seems more comfortable due to the wide bars and upright seating position.

do you guys get issues from your pillion about buffeting which is Sue's major concern. I'm 6ft and Sue is 5ft 6

ta

Can't say my FJR has much in the way of vibes TBH - a 2014 ES by the way. Are you sure it's not just a case of the throttle bodies being out of balance? Easily addressed with a re-sync.

The simple fact is most twins, even with balancer systems, will produce vibes at some point in the rev range. Some swear by Grip Puppies if the vibes mainly affect the bars; some wear thicker gloves; some play around with bars/bar end weights. Often it's a case that the rider just needs to relax their grip. Only a straight 6 has good natural balance, but I hasten to add my experiences with a 2012 K16 would not lead me to recommend one at any cost.

Why not get along to your local dealers & see what fits the two of you best & then re-focus your search accordingly. You have several, including the multi-franchised Fowlers on your patch. If a good Yamaha tech can't sort out your FJR vibes, then I would be thinking VFR800, as a good all-rounder, with your budget, or maybe a Z1000SX. Neither 800/1200 GSs will offer quite the ride you seek methinks.

Ride Safe ....................... KEN

I have had it serviced and balanced n stuff by the FJR centre by Bristol (the fjr club guys) so it should be as good as it can be.

I will be booking a test ride I think at the weekend :)

A prolonged test ride is the only real way to tell if its right for you & the Mrs.....

Right - some history.

Back to biking some years ago with a Harley Sportster - too small for both of us and bugger all that cleaning.

FJR1300 - this was just before my heart attack and depression and stuff so haven't ridden much in the last 2 years (before that i was 10K a year) but lets be honest - I like to enjoy the scenery, the bars make my wrists ache, the engine vibrates through the left side so Sue gets numb feet, I get numb hands and feet and it isn't as comfortable as the Beemer despite new seat, screen, bar adustments, anti vibe pegs and all that bollocks (BMW's don't seem to need all that fettling)

So I'd like a naked to get some air, and the boss wants comfort. I would like a nice upright, less weight on the bars riding position. Not sure if Sue would like the windblast as passenger on a naked.

What do you guys think about a GS perhaps? Can't afford a sexy new model as it would have to be a straight swap (ish) for the FJR - so lets say I have about £4500 to play with. Isn't the 1200 more balanced than the 1150 (removes a vibration issue).

I could also do with getting my Mojo back after the health issues.

ta
nick

Had a FJR for 12 years, only sold it after wife stopped pillioning and age and health caught up with me.

Vibes - I fitted BMW footpegs for pillion, took away the little vibes she felt. Wife thought it was more comforable than the previous K75 and R1100RT. I commuted on it summer and winter and we used it for hollidays towing a trailer when we went camping. The bike didn't know the trailer was there.

I loved the bike and it's only age (70 in a couple of monhs) and medication (heart attack plus other things) that slow me down a bit and general lack of fitness that forced a reappraisal of my biking. I'm still biking and camping, solo now, with a little CCM GP450, absolutely love it.

Down the road from Bristol are the FJR experts in Wotton under Edge. What they don't know about the FJR isn't worth knowing. If you decide to keep the bike get it serviced there.

Tom

Had a FJR for 12 years, only sold it after wife stopped pillioning and age and health caught up with me.

Vibes - I fitted BMW footpegs for pillion, took away the little vibes she felt. Wife thought it was more comforable than the previous K75 and R1100RT. I commuted on it summer and winter and we used it for hollidays towing a trailer when we went camping. The bike didn't know the trailer was there.

I loved the bike and it's only age (70 in a couple of monhs) and medication (heart attack plus other things) that slow me down a bit and general lack of fitness that forced a reappraisal of my biking. I'm still biking and camping, solo now, with a little CCM GP450, absolutely love it.

Down the road from Bristol are the FJR experts in Wotton under Edge. What they don't know about the FJR isn't worth knowing. If you decide to keep the bike get it serviced there.

Tom

Funny innit - the boss hated the fjr ride, loved the 1150rt and liked the gsa pillion enough to say we should change immediately!!

waiting for Fowlers to get their act together with the new GSA - 11 days since signing and they are still faffing around. should be ready tomorrow for collection. They didn't notice it had some outstanding recalls so it took a week to get it into the Fowlers workshop. Seems they did feck all except book it into the BMW dealers for the recalls. Then when they finally get it back they have to do their pre-sale bit. disorganised tarts.

Back
Top Bottom