Burgundy

Wapping

Reaction score
Continuing the regional theme, my thanks to Simon W for flagging up the Burgundy tourist office's website with its ideas and suggestions for motorcyclists visiting the area

250px-Bourgogne_in_France.svg.png

http://www.burgundy-tourism.com/travelling-around-burgundy/gran-turismo-or-roadster

Scroll down the website to 'Practical Information' and then click on one of the five suggested routes. From there you can download a reasonably good map and a good description of the area you'll be riding through.

For example, here's the link to 'Outdoors in the southern Morvan':

http://www.burgundy-tourism.com/dis...-by-motorbike/outdoors-in-the-southern-morvan

With its map and route card....

cff4cd465999b41b690795384ba1ee41.jpg

456756cbe12a7bf6803e3053944e96ed.jpg

Burgundy and the Morvan are an excellent motorcycling area. Of course it does not have the mountainous splendour of the Alps, only they have that. But it's a lot closer, rideable to in a day from Calais without necessarily hitting any motorways. The roads when you get there twist and turn over the hills, around the lakes and through the forests of one of France's largest national parks. Some are pretty 'technical' with some fairly exciting tightening off-camber bends, so have fun.

My suggestion would be to either use it as a destination for a two or three day mini-break. Alternatively, ride through the region on the way to say, the Vosges or link it to its neighbour to the east, the Côte d'Or, north of Dijon. It's not far away; the scenery and roads are very different but still excellent. Here's an example, cut from another thread:

Third go....

It's a four day jaunt that really would answer the 'Where can I go for four days?' question. It would be easy to extend it, too. For example to ride across into the Cote d'Or above Dijon.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14126843/Morvan etc..GPX.zip

I have amended the route very slightly over the one we took. Here's how:

(1) Whilst we avoided motorways entirely, it is worthwhile hoping on the A4 motorway for the short run from Chalons-en-Champagne to St Menehould on day one. There is not a lot to commend the dead straight main road, the D3 that runs west to east from Epernay, through Chalons to St Menehould, so you might as well take the motorway.

(2) Similarly, unless you want to take in the towns themselves, you might as well miss out Epernay and Chalons entirely, too. Therefore I have taken the route slightly north of Epernay (missing it out entirely) and swung it north and across the top of Chalons to meet the A4 motorway. It is along what I take to be the old road (the D1) before they put the more modern D3 in. It does go through some villages but it's maybe better overall. One day I'll find out.

Richard

I did find out.... The amendment works well enough.

From another thread, here's how to get the GPX files of the same routes:

The GPX files are hidden in Wappings 80 virees a moto files, as the roadbook numbers refer to the Michelin 90 virees
1 of the 5 gpx files is in the central section
4 are in the North east section

Though looking at my copy of 100 virees a moto they`re not listed in it

It's a shame that Michelin's website that hosted the .gpx files for each of what was finally their 100 routes (they started with 80) around France no longer functions. As P'o'B kindly said, my creation of the files in what was at the time Mapsource, is maybe all that remains of it. I have written to Michelin several times asking if they'd considered bringing the .gpx download files back to life. They have never replied, sadly.

My little touring group had a very good trip last year, using Beaune in Burgundy as a base for 3 nights and then moving over to Hohrod in the Vosges for another 3 nights. We used Arras and Reims as overnight stops in each direction.

From another thread, here's how to get the GPX files of the same routes:

It's a shame that Michelin's website that hosted the .gpx files for each of what was finally their 100 routes (they started with 80) around France no longer functions. As P'o'B kindly said, my creation of the files in what was at the time Mapsource, is maybe all that remains of it. I have written to Michelin several times asking fruit slot games free considered bringing the .gpx download files back to life. They have never replied, sadly.

Too bad.

Back
Top Bottom