Model year 2015

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've contacted Birmingham HD about an issue with my bike.

Basically, the ex-demonstrator Street Glide I bought from them was described in their advert as a 2016. At every mention of the year in the ad (there are four) it is referred to as 2016. It turns out that it's a 2015 model.

They've got a 2016 touring model for sale at the moment which has a 65 reg. They have specifically pointed out in the description that it is a 2016 model because, I guess, people could have thought it was a 2015 model with that reg. and so been less inclined to by it. This, it seems to me, is an acknowledgement by them that the year of manufacture matters.

They have offered to sell me accessories for the bike at cost price and fit them free (if I need it). It seems like an adequate response to me, but before I get back to them, any thoughts?

Work out the price differential to understand the start point.
With the new engine having been announced the differential will obviously become greater in short term as people chop in.

This might help....

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Second-hand car from a dealer
When you buy a second-hand car from a dealer, you have the right under the Consumer Rights Act (which replaces the Sale of Goods Act from 01 October 2015), to expect the car to:
be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
meet any description given to you when you were buying it (whether in the advert or in discussions prior to sale)
be fit for purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely)
If the second-hand car does not meet these requirements, you have the right to claim against the dealer for breach of contract.
If something you buy is not 'as described', or if the seller is guilty of misrepresentation, you're entitled to:
give the second-hand car back and get your money back
if you want to keep the car, ask for compensation (usually the cost of any repairs it needs)
But if you buy a second-hand car that was not described as being in excellent condition or good working order and it breaks soon after you buy it, you don't have any right to reject it or to claim compensation.

Burn it and have the ashes delivered back to them in an ornate urn.

That'll show em! :p

This might help....

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Second-hand car from a dealer
When you buy a second-hand car from a dealer, you have the right under the Consumer Rights Act (which replaces the Sale of Goods Act from 01 October 2015), to expect the car to:
be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)
meet any description given to you when you were buying it (whether in the advert or in discussions prior to sale)
be fit for purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely)
If the second-hand car does not meet these requirements, you have the right to claim against the dealer for breach of contract.
If something you buy is not 'as described', or if the seller is guilty of misrepresentation, you're entitled to:
give the second-hand car back and get your money back
if you want to keep the car, ask for compensation (usually the cost of any repairs it needs)
But if you buy a second-hand car that was not described as being in excellent condition or good working order and it breaks soon after you buy it, you don't have any right to reject it or to claim compensation.

Yep, good point about being "as described".

Just ask for your money back if you are really not happy

No, I'm very happy with the bike, mate. I asked them for £350 in accessories - cost to them is wholesale, value to me is retail. But they countered with the accessories at cost offer.

I checked with the free legal advice I get with my insurance and, basically, caveat emptor would make it a 50:50 call if I wanted to take it further because I've got no evidence they sought to mislead... I'm getting heated grips and a rack at cost. No big deal, but better than nothing.

Seems like you were perfectly happy before you noticed the discrepancy, tried to get something for nothing and ended with a bargain upgrade. Count your lucky stars and move on.

Seems like you were perfectly happy before you noticed the discrepancy, tried to get something for nothing and ended with a bargain upgrade. Count your lucky stars and move on.

Sorry. Can you not read, or are you otherwise mentally defective?

Interesting point here - a 2015 MY bike will be worth less then a 2016 MY bike come trade in time..... now they say its a MY 2016.... was it a MY 2016 price? or was it a MY 2015 price........ ie the price was correct the info was not......

My local dealer has a 2016 RK demo bike that is dearer then the brand new unregistered 2015 RK they still have on the floor...... by £700...... so, pay £700 more for an ex-demo with 2k miles on - or £700 cheaper for an unregistered bike!!

MY Matters.......

Did you get this resolved?

Yes mate. They offered accessories at cost price and free fitting. I'm getting heated grips, a rack and the hidden antenna for the radio. Savings are worth about £350 to me.

Back
Top Bottom