USA Motorcycle Freight Shipping

adventum

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at getting approx 5 bikes out the USA in 2018. I'm in contact with a number of Freight Forwarders but was interested in knowing if anyone has experience of a company that lets you fly both ways as a passenger with your bike as freight.

Helpful answers would be appreciated as google & search are "NOT" my friends on this subject. :mad:

:thumb

There is a channel on you tube under Richy Vida or Wilbad touring,he is a blogger and post's up videos etc. They are just back from a USA trip and I am sure the pre trip videos said they were riding to the airport and flying with the bikes as opposed to shipping the bikes separately. I would try and contact him either via you tube or on his twitter.

Not what you asked for but wallenius wilhelmsen is a RoRo sea freight service that comes highly recommended, as does alladin freight out of California, think they've been taken over but still operate. Typically longer but can also be cheaper even with fees.

Hi,

I'm looking at getting approx 5 bikes out the USA in 2018. I'm in contact with a number of Freight Forwarders but was interested in knowing if anyone has experience of a company that lets you fly both ways as a passenger with your bike as freight.

Helpful answers would be appreciated as google & search are "NOT" my friends on this subject. :mad:

:thumb

In a nutshell, it's pointless flying out on the same flight as your bike as you need time for customs. Ideally, leave it one or two days.

Flying in and out of most places in the USA isn't easy or cheap and Canada is a better option.

If you send me an email to chrisunchained@gmail.com I can let you have lots of options.

I used Air Canada to fly my bike to/from Canada last year, Very good service and at £500 each way relatively cheap - although we had to fly with air canada to get that price. They recommend bike leaves on a flight approx 24-36hours before you fly as a passenger to allow the bike to be de-planed, moved through the freight areas, customs etc. You could fly on the same plane as your bike but you would be hanging about waiting for them to pitch up at the freight depot.

In 2014 I used James Cargo Services to New York and back from LA. Relatively expensive at £1200 out and £1800 back but the bike was fully crated and James Cargo Services did all the paperwork, packing & crating, customs clearance, insurance, etc etc.

I think if there are 5 bikes to ship then other options open up, like using a container, or squeezing two bikes in to a single crate - you pay for volumetric weight so depending on the bikes it may get 2 for the price of 1.

I also suggest having look on the horizons unlimited forum (AKA The HUBB). There is a good general section and advice on shipping as well as loads of real world experience.

Thanks guys for all your replies. Still researching many options and your comments have helped immensely. Did contact Richy Vida, but it seems he may be a guy that likes keeping info to himself.

In 2012 I used James Cargo to fly my RT to Denver. They crated it using old BMW delivery crates. There was some cosmetic damage where paint rubbed off a pannier where the crated had rubbed. The bike was actually flown to Chicago and then by road to Denver.
I air freighted it back from Vancouver by Air Transat using Motorcyle Express who were most friendly and helpful, especially sorting out a disagreement about storage charges for a few days at Vancouver.
Bilko is quite right, there is little point in flying with the bike as you can't just get off the plane and ride away. The bike will be taken to a freight handlers warehouse such as SwissPort which won't necessarily be done immediately nor will they always be within walking distance of the passenger terminal. Also you need to personally visit the customs for clearance and they might not be in the terminal building. It all takes a while so best to arrive a day or two after the bike and leave at least half a day to get the bike cleared and for you to uncreated it if necessary.
I flew the bike back to Manchester, where you need to use an agent to get customs clearance and wharehouse release.
The whole business is quite costly and hiring a bike is cheaper unless you are there for a month or so like we were.
Here is a blog I wrote at the time, at the start and end you can see the bike as it arrived and as it was prepared for flying back. The return was not crated but it did arrive safely at Manchester and the whole trip was a great if expensive success.
http://rockybiking.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/back-on-bike.html
Cheers JG

The regulations may have changed but in 2012 you needed to contact the EPA and get an exception letter from the Environmental Protection Agency, that takes a few weeks as you email them for forms, return the completed forms and then they send you an exemption letter. It might only take a few hours or days but not if they are busy. It's all about temporarily importing a vehicle that does not comply with local regulations. You must also prove you have reimported the bike to the UK when you get back.

Back
Top Bottom