1961 Royal Enfield 250 Crusader Sports

The smudger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, i bought this from a collection a little while ago, and to be honest its the first time I've ever really looked over it!nLooks nice enough, needs a bit of tinkering but will definitely start and ride. Belonged to a neighbour but unfortunately he passed away early this year..

Attachments

• IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,366
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 4,379
  • IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,739
  • IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3,202
I passed my test on a crusader sports:thumb( when everyone had RD250's):blast It had a chrome and black tank and side panels and the clutch always slipped, but it was a good 250 and could hit 80+mph...................on a good day:thumb
That looks a nice example.:thumb

Looks nice lovely little thumper. Is that a Crusader tank on it? I thought the sports was a part chrome tank. Stafford show is always a great place for sporty enfields, numerous clubs and individuals show them.

Enjoy

Steve

Looks nice lovely little thumper. Is that a Crusader tank on it? I thought the sports was a part chrome tank. Stafford show is always a great place for sporty enfields, numerous clubs and individuals show them.

Enjoy

Steve

Well spotted Steve! It would have had a chrome/painted tank on originally, but most of these bikes were or have been subject of a restoration, and a straight painted tank is cheaper!!

My first ever bike was one of these and yes that does date me a tadge.
I had the part chrome tank and didn't have those red mudguard stay things either.

Marvellous machine, I have fond memories of it commuting into London Town every day for a couple of years.
Sadly I part exchanged it for a Bonneville which was not such a marvellous machine.

And mine also differed from smudger's in that it had a number plate.

My brother and I both had the standard Crusader, bought as ex-police bikes. They went well but both suffered from oil leaks from the cylinder head. Mate had the Continental GT with the 10 speed gearbox- 5 drive hears and 5 neutrals, looked great though.

I had on in the fold for a while when I was a kid, it belonged to a girlfriend, i enjoyed riding it which was lucky 'cos i had to keep riding it to Gander and Grey's Romford road to pick up parts for it! The 5 speed box had the ability to auto change up through the box, give it the berries, snap the throttle shut and it would change up a gear! It was also quite quick, I had use of a Ducati 250 as well and once we'd got rid of the Enfields very restrictive exhaust there was little between them up to around 80 then the Little ducati just kept revving!!

I had the Continetal GT and every time I took it out it lost a gear, looked good tho with clip ons and rear sets....The day I was to take my bike test the ferkin thing broke down and I had to borrow a mates C15 :blast

Back
Top Bottom