Finland anyone ?

iceclimber

Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone driven much through Finland using the backroads / forest gravel tracks as much as possible ? Am going to take my Sertao over next May / June; will have a week or so to explore, so can't really get up to North Finland ;)

Have been over a couple of times in a motorhome, so I pretty much know the best / cheapest / quickest way to get there (Harwich - Hook of Holland then up to Travemunde ..... then an overnighter straight to Helsinki )

Boring as hell: forests, lakes, reindeer, an occasional moose. But, other that that, nothing to recommend it.

Even Helsinki was a disappointment: a lovely location, one or two nice historic places to visit, but the rest looked like a soviet gulag!

I would recommend you head to norway and explore the soutehn part of Norway. Much more interesting

I would go hunting out any Finnish motorbike / off-road websites you can find. It's a touch too 'foreign' for bods here.

Here's something to get you started:

http://allroadendurotouring.com/allroad-enduro-tour-routing/allroad-touring-scandinavia/

In addition you could try contacting:

ABR magazine, to see if they have run / plan on running any articles on Finland.

HUBB or whatever the large Adventure forum is called

Someone like Austin Vince who probably has contacts, or if he doesn't may well know someone that does

I like the place, having had good fun in the forests on an XR400 I took there whilst doing 4 months work one Summer.
The further North you go the better, but the mosquito to human ratio changes drastically in their favour.
Cops are keen on speeding and drink driving, but not much else.
A good time to go is when WRC Rally Finland is on, with a great buzz around Jyväskylä, and special routes for spectators with motorcycles.
Every time I have been to the country, I have had a ball...... and I am thinking of a revisit next year with my KTM990Adv.
Saunas, sausages, Karhu olut, Salmiaki Koso and very pretty blonde females who enjoy English lad's company..... like I said, I like the place.

As long as the plans for a MotoGP race go ahead in 2018 we'll be taking a motorhome over but there'll be mountain bikes rather than motorbikes stuck on the back :D

We've not got far with the planning but I'll have to have a look at the cost of ferries from Travemunde to Helsinki because we hadn't even considered that idea though apparently there are plenty of options for sailing into and out of Helsinki and I'd sooner be on the east side of the Baltic where it's cheaper for the return run.

Back
Top Bottom