Sicily

I live in Malta so I travel to Sicily a number of times during the year to exercise the GSA. On a high speed catamaran it usually takes less than 2 hours to reach Pozallo, Sicily's southernmost port. No red tape at the harbour and off you go either north on the autostrada if time is of the essence, or take one of the myriad of B roads that crisscross the island if you like the country. Plenty to see, plenty where to stay and the best food one can imagine for less than £15. If you fancy twisty country lanes that lead to small picturesque villages than you are in the right place. If you like riding up hills and mountains you will not be disappointed either. Be careful where you leave the GS if you don't want a lift home. People are very friendly and helpful and remember that a bar serves coffee (espresso) not alcohol. If you decide to stay in an agriturismo (basically a farm with all the modern amenities) you will find that the owner will go out of his way to help you along on your journey. Agriturismos usually produce their own food and meals are cheap, plentiful and Mediterranean. The best period to visit is May-June and Sept-Oct though I do go to Sicily in Feb-Apr, depending on the weather.

Wapping: as in Italian living in the UK... simply, most people stop at the Alps because of the distance (I do the same), and the amazing roads around there... even if most people just do the major and most congested ones. :)
It's worth mentioning that Sicily can be reached overnight by ferry boat from Genova (genova-palermo) maybe.
And Genova (Nice) can be reached by the motorbike-train, still overnight, from Paris.

I'd recommend it.

It's a short hop on the ferry from the mainland to Messina, the roads vary from EU (and Mafia:)) modern to typical urban Italian (mad) to nadgery and quite entertaining.

Palermo is a big metropolitian city with lot's to see and do, park up and enjoy, especially if you like the rich historical . My faves are on the east coast, Syracuse and Taormina, the former a bit more of a working town and my No1 favourite and the latter unshamedly more touristy but fantastic nonetheless.

Get yourself an old apartment in any one of these or a load of other places in the towns and cities and enjoy the feeling of either voyeurism, as you peer into your neighbours house or paranioa, as what seems like a hundred, usually old, mostly friendly but sometimes staring older folk check you out from multiple balconies, roofs and windows:D

Eat cheaply in family owned trattorias or Osterias or push the boat out and go Michelin they're all there.

Oh and there's a big fuck off Volcano too.

Great island.

I'm off to Sicily Friday, Can you just rock up at the port Villa San Giovanni and board a ferry ?
TIA

Yes you can, Ten Euros for a bike ! :thumb

Back
Top Bottom