Devitt and being a broker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobble

Hugh Janus
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New RT is being delivered tomorrow, Got the reg number and called Devitt to change over.

Lady I spoke to said the current insurer now wont insure the new bike (its identical to the one on cover) and I have to pay a cancellation fee which wipes out the remaining pro rata payment. Reason given was value of the bike as insurer has changed their terms mid way in policy.

No luck in getting a new policy with them, and she said new quote was over a thousand pounds (currently paying £158) I did say Ill never use Devitt again as have lost 11 months no claims, and after letting them know I would be mentioning my experiences here she managed to get a discount of £25 on my penalty for cancelling (not that I had a choice).

Totally bemused that a 'broker' can treat its customers like this, and am not happy about returning to BMW as they use Devitt to manage their business.

Devitt have pushed me away as a customer and Ill not ever be going back !

Why are you blaming Devitt? They are the broker, not the insurer.

This also happened to me with Devitt (on a smaller scale) but I didn't consider it their fault. Insurers base their premiums on risk and algorithms and logic plays very little part in it.

Just tried my local NFU in Kent, and the lady said it would take around 20 mins and probably wouldn't be competitive. How do these companies get business if they turn new customers away or in the case of Devitt, take the cash and don't do anything for you ?
I have never tried so hard to give a business to someone (NFU) but she didn't seem at all interested.

I logged on to IAM Surety and said I want cover to start now, and when I get to the details page, it says someone will contact me in a few days!

Hat having to use compare the market or middle brokers who don't do anything.

I was with MCE until I found out about their policy on accessories (ie they don't give a fu*ck and wont cover you for even simple things like engine bars) and their cover for kit wouldn't even pay for a new BMW helmet!

IAM Surety will probably call you back within 24hrs, but don't expect much from them...

As there are two main underwriter's now who actually provide the insurance, if as Devitt's state it's now £1,000 then it'll be the same from everyone won't it ???

You do realise that as insurer changed terms of contract you are entitled to a full refund pro rate, without any deductions. Phone them back up, ask for all your money back and then report insurer to FOS , also report Devitt's too, they knew your contract had been changed and didn't notify you.

I walked away from Devitt a couple of years ago after getting completely fed up with their inefficiency. I also used IAM surety for a couple of years but they wouldn't insure me with a new bike (value > £15k). I wouldn't work with a broker now and use LV. I use them for car and household as well and have done for many years. They are very easy to deal with and offered keenly priced and very comprehensive cover. They may or may not be able to help you but they are definitely worth a call.

I'm upset with Devitt as they don't seem to care about my business. She said the cheapest they would be able to insure me for was over £1000, when I mentioned that BMW insurance (organised by Devitt) was around the £400 mark she said she didn't have access to that. I expected Devits to help me not sting me for a cancellation fee.

IAM have just called me back and said they would match my policy quote and beat it by 10%. I have him my MCN quotes (thanks Steve) and he is getting back to me and will beat the cheapest one £221 by 10%. That's the sort of service I would have expected from my existing broker Devitt, who could have not lost me 11 months no claims.

You do realise that as insurer changed terms of contract you are entitled to a full refund pro rate, without any deductions. Phone them back up, ask for all your money back and then report insurer to FOS , also report Devitt's too, they knew your contract had been changed and didn't notify you.

Matey has requested a mid-term alteration to the contract, not the insurer.

He had insured via Devit his whatever bike it was for 12 months with insurer XYZ. That is the contract matey and the insurer entered into at last renewal. Insurer XYZ is quite happy to honour that contract for the single bike until its expiry date.

Matey has now decided to buy a brand new RT, which he needs to insure from tomorrow. For whatever reasons, insurer XYZ has apparently declined to insure matey's new RT under the existing contract. They are under no obligation to and / or may require amended terms, in this case a considerable increase in premium. Matey has declined insurer XYZ's offer.

Matey has now decided to cancel his current policy for the existing bike (for which there is a penalty) and is busy seeking a new insurer for his (presumably) two bikes. That he cannot yet find one to insure the two bikes for less than £1000 (let alone the £158 he had been paying for his unknown single bike) is another matter entirely.

There are oodles of posts on this site where bods boast of insuring their awesome steeds for well under £1000. Indeed matey himself managed somehow to pay about 50p a day for his single bike, no doubt thinking Devitt and insurer XYZ were geniuses or incredibly stupid. Unfortunately, that run of genius or stupidity has now run out. Now all he has to do is mirror his past success and / or the miriad of other happy punters and find another insurer / broker, genius or stupid enough to insure him. He's got all day.

Matey has requested a mid-term alteration to the contract, not the insurer.

He had insured via Devit his whatever bike it was for 12 months with insurer XYZ. That is the contract matey and the insurer entered into at last renewal. Insurer XYZ is quite happy to honour that contract for the single bike until its expiry date.

Matey has now decided to buy a brand new RT, which he needs to insure from tomorrow. For whatever reasons, insurer XYZ has apparently declined to insure matey's new RT under the existing contract. They are under no obligation to and / or may require amended terms, in this case a considerable increase in premium. Matey has declined insurer XYZ's offer.

Matey has now decided to cancel his current policy for the existing bike (for which there is a penalty) and is busy seeking a new insurer for his (presumably) two bikes. That he cannot yet find one to insure the two bikes for less than £1000 (let alone the £158 he had been paying for his unknown single bike) is another matter entirely.

There are oodles of posts on this site where bods boast of insuring their awesome steeds for well under £1000. Indeed matey himself managed somehow to pay about 50p a day for his single bike, no doubt thinking Devitt and insurer XYZ were geniuses or incredibly stupid. Unfortunately, that run of genius or stupidity has now run out. Now all he has to do is mirror his past success and / or the miriad of other happy punters and find another insurer / broker, genius or stupid enough to insure him. He's got all day.

Matey is having a bad day,oh well could be worse he could be a Quinn :D

Two bikes ?

IAM called me back and did indeed beat cheapest quote on MCN and have taken a policy out for 199 and Mr Wapping this is not the pub area and I don't like your tone in genius or stupidity, please read the post correctly and you have no right to assume I thought Devitt were stupid for insuring me for that price.

Your tone sir is rude and arrogant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom