Advice Please - Pyrenees Route OK for May??

The world is divided. Some book in advance and others always wing it or claim they do. That the latter sometimes do not know where they are going from one day to the next maybe explains their reluctance or inability to book.

There is no right or wrong way to do it at all.

If you want to float between the two, use something like Booking.com as it will often allow you to cancel or amend a booking at short notice. But, take care. Sometimes Booking com's reservations are limited to just one or two rooms, useless if you need three or more, something the solo, "I wing it" crew often forget. Similarly, sometimes the very cheapest rooms have a more limited cancellation period provision. Easy to miss (and forget) in the excitement of the moment.

When traveling i tend to book my first and maybe second stop depending on where i am aiming for, from then on i usually book using as already mentioned booking.com or similar the night before, or if not and time permiting i poll up and use the tourist information centre or just find some where add hoc,whatever way you use, i feel sure you will be fine.

When I'm riding for myself or scouting trips, I book my final night before whatever crossing, to ensure that my last day is sensible, so I get home at a reasonable hour (and I spend the intervening days keeping a vague eye on progress, to make sure the day before the last one isn't going to be extreme). The rest of it, I make up as I go along.

When travelling for work, though, I pre-book everything because we have a plan, we have a lot to do during the day in terms of time-consuming photoshoots, but with prebooked hotels we can arrive late and pack a lot of miles into each day. More importantly, that means the whole trip stays on a schedule and we don't end up missing things because we don't have time to go to them.

The catch is always that with pre-booked stuff, you don't have flexibility - you can't decide "this is a nice town, let's stop here rather than going another 30 miles" and if you have any issues (say, losing a couple of hours to a puncture or a really interesting market town where you spent far longer than you'd expected wandering around) you still have to press on, to get to the hotel you've already booked or it's a waste of money (though - health and safety alert - it's cheaper to stop early and waste money on an unused hotel than to push on when you're tired and crash: bent bikes are more expensive than missed hotels. Oh, and crashing hurts).

The catch with the free-wheeling, unbooked approach is that sometimes the only hotels with rooms are more expensive than you'd like, or 20 miles further on than you'd like, or dirtier than you'd like. Certainly, it's sensible to stop riding a bit earlier to allow time to go round a few hotels in a town (though if you're in a town with a tourist office, which is open when you get there, they can normally sort you out in minutes). But it is also a way to find some gems - each hotel is a surprise and nice ones are a great surprise. And it is liberating to be so free, just riding around with no time pressure or agenda or schedule.

It really is horses for courses - but if it's your first trip, then having pre-booked accommodation can only add a bit of peace of mind and it does let you control your budget more, as the accommodation is the single largest expense on the trip (after the ferry).

One thing I'm thinking about is shortening the end of the Monday route and the start of the Tuesday route and using the C16 north (via tunnel) to make each day of full route relaxed. If I did would we miss out on some gems to the east on the current routes via Ripoll?

Cheers again

Thanks all for advice so far. We are going, no matter what but trying to get some pointers on the route we have chosen in case there are obvious high risk access problems due to weather/snow at that time of year.

Also, interested if those who have used the RIDE route found the distances challenging each day - they are about 200 mile days.

Bottom line is that we will go, and if needed take detours but as we are planning to use B&B we want to book that soon.

Cheers

We did the ride route last year, including down to the med, was in September so can't help with the weather but as for daily mileages I think they were spot on

The ferry arrival time in Santander though might be tight, if it says it arrives at 7pm you can guarantee you won't be out of the docks till well past 8pm and not hitting your first stop till about 10pm. Why not stop in Santander the first night and make the difference up the next day with a bit of motorway?

We did the ride route last year, including down to the med, was in September so can't help with the weather but as for daily mileages I think they were spot on

The ferry arrival time in Santander though might be tight, if it says it arrives at 7pm you can guarantee you won't be out of the docks till well past 8pm and not hitting your first stop till about 10pm. Why not stop in Santander the first night and make the difference up the next day with a bit of motorway?

Thanks, we are thinking about hitting the motorway first night to first stop - about 1 hr 30 riding time. Sounds like riding times are good to go.

I've just ordered the RIDE routes of europe edition 2 so that will be good info as well.

PM 'The Spanish Biker' - Simon, he is the font of all knowledge for this area.

Ha ha Dermott - I ought to start asking a commission fee from you! :)

I've lived here in the Pyrenees for nineteen years and had my cottage her ten years before that, when we came here more or less every May for our holidays.

The only certainties in the Pyrenees are: a) it's bloody cold in winter and bloody hot in summer and b) whatever is happening weather-wise in Spain (or rather the southern side as part of Spain, the Val d'Aran - see below - is on the northern side) is highly likely to be different in France - for better or worse!

So, May. It happens but fresh snow is extremely rare and melts within a day. After a heavy winter some smaller pass over into France, e.g. Laureu, will not have been ploughed by the French, they just leave it for the snow to melt on its own. Whereas the main routes are clear that same day that it snows all through the winter, hence Simon W's observation about Saint Pere de Martin, which is the next pass east from Larreu.

As other people have mentioned, in Spain the weather is subject to extreme phenomena such as torrential - and I really mean torrential, e.g. 120 mm of rain (that's nearly four inches!) in an hour, but, like thunderstorms and hail these are very local and short lived.

In France the summer weather is subject to storms too but much less often and not so dramatic. But what you do get over there is persistent bad weather, drizzle, etc, and especially fog that builds up in the wee wee hours and can take all morning to clear. That's one reason why my favoured way to ride the Pyrenees is to ride back and forth over the tops taking advantage of whatever weather there is but always - OK almost always - staying the night in Spain.

I do this for several reasons, not least because I speak the language(s) - don't bother with Basque! - and the French don't or won't speak Spanish despite living less than an hour there and doing their weekly shopping here as it's cheaper!

The other reason, apart from it being cheaper, is that your days are longer due to the Spanish working day, i.e. you won't get your evening meal until after 21.00 and can still order up to 11.00 ... hence hotel checks-in times are similarly laid back. The Spanish don't really 'do' breakfast either, just chuck down a quick coffee and a bit of cake or brad and get on with their day, say from 07.00 - 08.00 then have a 'real' break from 09.00 onwards, this when you can ride for an hour or so in the cool morning air, them stop for substantial breakfast - and mean really substantial, like oxtail stew or how about pig's tripe and chickpeas in a spicy sauce - one of my favourites! - as well as the usual fry-ups, bocadillos, etc.

Thus sustained you can take advantage of a phenomenon that is common to both sides, the long lunch break, when you will have the roads pretty much to yourself - in Spain this runs from 13.00 - 16.00 but in both countries be careful the 12.00 - 13.00 nutty hour when everyone is preparing, picking up the kids, dashing home from the shops, work, etc. when in the small towns riding is actually dangerous - the only time IMHO ...

Regarding Andorra, yes, it's a s***hole - I go there about three times a year and can't wait to get out again. But you have to go a big detour to the south and east to avoid it and the best roads from there will take you towards the Med. - the road down to Foix is horrible - so you may be better heading to Vielha (the 'capital' of the Vall d'Aran that I mentions above). It may look like the N-260 between La Se d'Ugell and Puigcerda neatly avoids Andorra, and it does, but it's a horrible stretch of road whilst the alternatives, e.g. from Ripoll, are fantastic - note if you do take this option the French D-118 down to Axat is the one to got for! :)

So, if you stop for your last night in Spain at El Pont de Suerte you can either take the N-230 and the Vielha tunnel as an easy option - although the road is boring and rather congested with trucks - or have the option of going over the Port de la Bonaigüa pass, which is one of the best in Spain although in May it could be subject to bad weather - hence the N-230 option.

You coud also stay at La Pobla de Segur, getting there via Tremp on the fabulous C1311 - which just happens to be my road into town ... :) - and keep your options open, i.e. if the weather looks bad for the Bonaigüa pass head back to the N-230 on the N-260 - see below - on one its better bits, also riding it before it gets 'busy' - this section is very narrow and is used by camper vans and quite a few trucks as the day wears on ...

Finally, phew, consider basing yourselves for a night or two and riding around without luggage rather than making a linear trip a la RIDE routes - with all due respect to Simon W (who has indeed said his route are a compromise) there is much much, more to the Pyrenees than the N-260!

Enjoy

Simon

One last thing, use booking.com rather than TripAdviser or air BnB. The reviews are better and in the case of AirBnB as of this year you might find your accommodation sealed off by the local police ...

The world is divided. Some book in advance and others always wing it or claim they do. That the latter sometimes do not know where they are going from one day to the next maybe explains their reluctance or inability to book.

There is no right or wrong way to do it at all.

If you want to float between the two, use something like Booking.com as it will often allow you to cancel or amend a booking at short notice. But, take care. Sometimes Booking com's reservations are limited to just one or two rooms, useless if you need three or more, something the solo, "I wing it" crew often forget. Similarly, sometimes the very cheapest rooms have a more limited cancellation period provision. Easy to miss (and forget) in the excitement of the moment.

As Simon and Wapping have clearly stated there is no right or wrong and it's all down to individual preference (a bit like having your own version of a standard bike model).
To date, in my whole life, I have never pre-booked accommodation other than a campsite for a few days at a rally or MotoGP race. Pre-booking tends to put pressure on the rider to make that booking (normally a hotel) even though he / she knows it would be wiser, and safer, to stop earlier.
However, next year I'm going to do the opposite for a few of nights (and hope I don't regret it). I've pre-booked three hotels: first is at Passo Pordoi because I'll arrive there one evening (in time for beer / wine) and spend the next day doing Dolomite passes and staying in the same place for a second night. The following night will be in Soelden (riding via Garmisch) as I stayed there (on spec) this year but the local "black & orange" biker bar was closed on the night I was there and I fancy trying it out! (Poor excuse I know but it's my excuse). After crossing the Timmelsjoch and Grosssglockner (hopefully in the dry this time) I'm staying at a popular place in Malts, Austria where I stayed this year and it means I can buy more cow bells for my wife at Gmund (I know I'm an incurable romantic and, no, she doesn't wear them!) After that I'll go back my usual mode operandi and "wing it" to the Black Sea and back towards the Austrian MotoGP.
Personally, I much prefer to arrive somewhere unknown as it adds a little bit of surprise and magic to the trip. (I did that somewhere in the Czech Republic this summer and stayed, ate and drank (dark beer too - 82p / pint) at a place that didn't have any English speakers and I didn't speak Czech but we both knew enough German to get by!

And, yes, I'm one those people who don't stop for morning coffee, long lunches and afternoon coffee. That's just wasting good riding time - I've got a 33 litre tank for the very reason that I don't need to stop too often unless I want to!
But when it gets to 17:00 that is very definitely beer o'clock time (especially as I like to be on the road by 07:00, or 08:00 at the latest, as you miss a lot of traffic - colder and mistier but very atmospheric in the mountains).

Whatever your riding mode is it is just that, yours and there is no wrong!

Ride and enjoy - that's why we're all bikers! :thumb:beerjug::clap:bounce1

Ha ha Dermott - I ought to start asking a commission fee from you! :)

Regarding Andorra, yes, it's a s***hole - I go there about three times a year and can't wait to get out again. But you have to go a big detour to the south and east to avoid it and the best roads from there will take you towards the Med. - the road down to Foix is horrible - so you may be better heading to Vielha (the 'capital' of the Vall d'Aran that I mentions above). It may look like the N-260 between La Se d'Ugell and Puigcerda neatly avoids Andorra, and it does, but it's a horrible stretch of road whilst the alternatives, e.g. from Ripoll, are fantastic - note if you do take this option the French D-118 down to Axat is the one to got for! :)

Thanks, I'll try to take that all in, very kind of you to write so much!

Question - you don't have any routing north of Andorra. Just wondered why?

I challenge is that 3 of us are novices regarding touring! We are heading to La Rochelle to see friends after the Pyrenees, so just 3 full days around Pyrenees. Hence route from Ripoll north west of Andorra to Arreau. Is that a good, interesting route?

Ultimately, we will hopefully return on summer and do more crossing etc but trying to keep things simple/limit risk on weather.

Also travelling very light - top box and small bag! My mate stinks and says it's more fun.....

Cheers again

Thanks, I'll try to take that all in, very kind of you to write so much!

Question - you don't have any routing north of Andorra. Just wondered why?

I challenge is that 3 of us are novices regarding touring! We are heading to La Rochelle to see friends after the Pyrenees, so just 3 full days around Pyrenees. Hence route from Ripoll north west of Andorra to Arreau. Is that a good, interesting route?

Ultimately, we will hopefully return on summer and do more crossing etc but trying to keep things simple/limit risk on weather.

Also travelling very light - top box and small bag! My mate stinks and says it's more fun.....

Cheers again

Yes I do, the Portet d'Aspet route from Audessein to Saint Béat is an absolve gem. From there head back into Spain and tale the road over Bagnères- de-Luchon from Bossostmand on to Arreau from there - lovly-jubly roads but watch out for cyclists ...

And BTW - i'll be running tours in the region one of these fine days ...

Regs

Simon

I live down in the area and while you may get great riding weather you could also get very bad weather. You have to remember that even in May it is still cold or can be at 2000+ m and since you appear to be going over the Tourmalet I would keep an eye on the weather if by chance you were to be unlucky and get to the top and be hit by a freak storm at the top or near it you would have no chance what so ever of getting down in one piece. I had freinds down one year in mid April and the col d'aubisque was still under feet of ice and snow. We had a hailstorm of biblical status in May last year the hail was the size of golf balls caught out in the open without protection would have been very painful... the other thing to be mindful of is rain. It can be incredible heavy so much so that driving a bike would be totally impossible so there are things to think about keep and eye on weather forecasts. Be also aware of the fact that some of the mountain roads of minor class can suffer bad weather damage during the winter the road through Bareges down from Tourmalet was destroyed and ,I think four people were killed when severe rain caused a huge torrent in the normally small stream that flows there. Boulders ten feet in diameter were washed down the ravine and numerous house totally washed out of existance!! You do get warnings but sometimes there are major bursts in the tarmac not nice when you don't expect it . But despite all that I have said I would hope you should get decent weather for your trip :)

you appear to be going over the Tourmalet I would keep an eye on the weather

Thanks

I'm hoping that we will get to Arreau ok and stay there over night. If the weather looks poor I was planning to go north and head for Lourdes and then on to the west coast, etc. Hoping the roads north of Andorra that are the RIDE route will be ok??

In early June 2013, there was still skiing in the Pyrenees. When the snow melted later in the month there was a lot of flood damage to various roads and villages. I had to backtrack a fair distance on a couple of occasions when I encountered rock falls blocking the road - tends to throw your timing off!

Great read guys, I'm currently planning our 2017 Spanish trip but reading this i may avoid andorra now and head further south before cutting into France as we will return via Holland.

:cool:

This website https://velopeloton.com/ for cyclists is good for info on all the cols in the Pyrenees and says the Tormalet opened on 13th May this year and was the closed again a few days later by a rock fall.

Back
Top Bottom