Advice Please - Pyrenees Route OK for May??

Thanks for all the feedback.

We are now all booked up and looking forward to our trip. Leaving early May on the Portsmouth to Santander ferry (wow that gets booked up early, grabbed the last few bike spaces in November!) arriving Saturday evening. We then hit the motorways to get to our effecting start point Vitoria

Route is as originally planned
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...ll=45.252323339211436,-0.8348321914672852&z=6

We then head to Labuerda, staying at a nice spa! Then on to Ripoll. We may amend route to take in the southern route as outlined here- any feedback appreciated??
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/e...A&ll=42.88494809226913,1.2196541406249253&z=7

On to Cadéac and we will then review weather and road conditions to see if we can stick to route or if we need to go north to Tarbes and avoid ski area as some feedback said it may be a problem.

We then head to the west coast of France, heading north towards Archachon and La Rochelle (visit friends plus it's a great area!). We return via St Malo - that gives us an easy last day and chance to chillax on the final evening.

We haven't planned any crossings of the Pyrenees, partly due to our route home and also time available. Trying to make the journey across France enjoyable rather than a blast home. Ideally would like to arrange a future trip to the Pyrenees for a summer so we could zig zag our way along the Pyrenees without any weather worries.

Anyway, will let you know how we get on.

Cheers for help

That looks like a really nice trip - if you have time there's a brilliant little detour for you between Burgui and Puente de la Reina. At Burgui - empty the sick bag here! :) - head north rather than south and take the road - the A-175 - to Anso just before you get to Roncal and carry n that road to Hecho before heading south and rejoining the N-230. Just male sure you have a full tank from Lumbier onwards. BTW don't go into Pamplona city unless you're staying there, it's really busy.

Regs

Simon

That looks like a really nice trip - if you have time there's a brilliant little detour for you between Burgui and Puente de la Reina. At Burgui - empty the sick bag here! :) - head north rather than south and take the road - the A-175 - to Anso just before you get to Roncal and carry n that road to Hecho before heading south and rejoining the N-230. Just male sure you have a full tank from Lumbier onwards. BTW don't go into Pamplona city unless you're staying there, it's really busy.

Regs

Simon

Many thanks, I take a proper look later

Would you suggest we take the diversion I outlined that I think you may of suggested??
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/e...A&ll=42.83153861180119,1.2196541406249253&z=7

If you stop at Puenta la Reina ,Hotel Jakue I can recommend stopped there many times including dated already booked in 2017

Many thanks, I take a proper look later

Would you suggest we take the diversion I outlined that I think you may of suggested??
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/e...A&ll=42.83153861180119,1.2196541406249253&z=7

That's a tough call - what a responsibility! The section of the N-260 from Pont de Suerte to Pobla de Segur is probably the best bit of the while road, so maybe best not to miss that, especially as you have a long run on the N-230 which isn't as good. Maybe head south at Pobla and do the C1311 there-and-back - it's worth it IMHO - and continue from there. You have a section of the horrible C13 but it's short and full of speed traps but at least it's safe - unlike further north which is a continuous accident black spot!

If you stop at the bike museum at Massella there's a good fast food joint as part of the complex, so you can lunch whenever you're there. The museum is worth it if you like museums and if you ask at the entrance you can stash your gear in a little cloakroom behind the desk (they don't publicise this) also if you have a rest day in Ripoll you can get a train to Barcelona and take in the other half of the collection for just €1 extra! :)

From Solsona I'd take the C-462 as it's a lovely new surface - well it might be damaged since I was last there - and despite nearly all of it being no-overtaking there's little traffic ...

Maybe the weather will decide for you, the southern diversion is in a much more arid climate zone, despite the proximity - I often look over at the high Pyrenees from our terrace basking in sunshine while is p***ing down up there! :)

One thing is for sure - you'll want to come back!

Regs

Simon

if you have time there's a brilliant little detour for you between Burgui and Puente de la Reina.
Regs

Simon

When you say "if you have time" will that detour take very much longer than the planned route? We have the day available to us for that leg so hopefully will be ok

Thanks again!

When you say "if you have time" will that detour take very much longer than the planned route? We have the day available to us for that leg so hopefully will be ok

Thanks again!

I think the rest of your route must have suggested to me that you were on a tight schedule as the N240 from Pamplona to Jaca and Sabiñánigo is possibly the most boring road in Spain and I'd never use it out of choice!

The section if my 'detour' to Anso is a pretty country road and the last few miles are vertiginous and bendy so will slow you down, the second bit is one of those Spanish 'miracles'; they take a route from nowhere to nowhere else and blast a fantastic highway through it: hairpins, ups and downs, off camber curves, and more ... it reminds me of Brands Hatch! :)

So depending on your bikes, load, style etc. I'd say between half and hour and an hour over and above what it would take you on your original route ... plus photo stops of course!

Talking of which, don't miss this tiny detour just a few miles north of Lumbier, the knack is to take it form the northern end and ride up the steep hill with, lets see now, seven amazing hairpin bends and an obligatory stop for picks of the lovely ravine from the mirador (viewpoint) at the top :beer:

screen-shot-2017-01-05-at-20-20-54.png

hiss2015a11.jpg

Moreover, if you carried on south form Puente de la Reina you will eventually come to this little gem ...

hiss2015a12.jpg

... but that's another route entirely! :)

Regs

Simon

Talking of which, don't miss this tiny detour just a few miles north of Lumbier, the knack is to take it form the northern end and ride up the steep hill with, lets see now, seven amazing hairpin bends and an obligatory stop for picks of the lovely ravine from the mirador (viewpoint) at the top :beer:

Thank you for the tip we are going right past there on our trip in June have diverted the route to go via the lovely ravine viewpoint I would never have known it was there perfect photo opportunity :thumb

I think the rest of your route must have suggested to me that you were on a tight schedule as the N240 from Pamplona to Jaca and Sabiñánigo is possibly the most boring road in Spain and I'd never use it out of choice!
Simon

Brilliant again!

Our challenge is the overall trip but more than happy to get in to the hotel late for nicer roads! Hell, we could even miss the beer and kebab at the end of the night!! :beer:

Thank you for the tip we are going right past there on our trip in June have diverted the route to go via the lovely ravine viewpoint I would never have known it was there perfect photo opportunity :thumb

Brilliant again!

Our challenge is the overall trip but more than happy to get in to the hotel late for nicer roads! Hell, we could even miss the beer and kebab at the end of the night!! :beer:

Thanks guys,

I don't think you get these details on guided tours!:beerjug:

Out of interest - and this is to do with my business - I've never been very satisfied with the while 'Guided Tour' scene and for operational reasons I'm not keen on hosting any. But I probably know more about the Pyrenees than almost anyone else - I've lived here for twenty years! - and I'd like to make some dosh out of this. So a 'market research' question: Would you or any of your mates go on a 'Navigation Trial' - seeking to clock as many checkpoints similar to that 'Mirador' all the way as possible all the way along the Pyrenees within a time frame, going points, collecting tee-shirts, stickers, etc. for attending and with prizes for the winners?

Cheers

Simon

Personally I wouldn't but I'm sure some people would.

But using this trip as an example - we like riding the trails (green lanes) and some have road bikes. So I got one and we plan to do a few good weekends each year and maybe one trip abroad - Pyrenees being our first as a group of 4. I've tried to put the route together, with great advice here and a mate has booked the rooms. For us services that we could pay someone like you could be developing a best in class route based on our rough plans. Maybe a day or two based near you with some special guided days out. Maybe a whole trip guided, although part of a trip is doing much of it with just your mates.

The other thing would be providing accommodation near you and then planning routes/gpx each day with things of interest and maybe good food somewhere

But if there are other successful events like the one you are thinking of but they are not in your area, then do it - you knowledge is obviously excellent!

Personally I wouldn't but I'm sure some people would.

But using this trip as an example - we like riding the trails (green lanes) and some have road bikes. So I got one and we plan to do a few good weekends each year and maybe one trip abroad - Pyrenees being our first as a group of 4. I've tried to put the route together, with great advice here and a mate has booked the rooms. For us services that we could pay someone like you could be developing a best in class route based on our rough plans. Maybe a day or two based near you with some special guided days out. Maybe a whole trip guided, although part of a trip is doing much of it with just your mates.

The other thing would be providing accommodation near you and then planning routes/gpx each day with things of interest and maybe good food somewhere

But if there are other successful events like the one you are thinking of but they are not in your area, then do it - you knowledge is obviously excellent!

Thanks for the feedback.. Have you heard of my HISS events, sounds like they're right up your street ... :)

Simon

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Pamplona please?
We arrive at Santander of 18th June and just need a hotel for our first night's stay. Parking would be ideal for four bikes.
Sorry not meaning to hi-jack the thread at all - interesting stuff on here!

Haven't stayed here yet but will be staying in June so don't know what its like but does have on site parking Hotel Avenida, Avenida de Zaragoza, 5, Pamplona, 31003, Spain.

Booked it via Booking.com

Haven't stayed here yet but will be staying in June so don't know what its like but does have on site parking Hotel Avenida, Avenida de Zaragoza, 5, Pamplona, 31003, Spain.

Booked it via Booking.com

I always recommend booking.com as the reviews are usually sound, unlike TripAdvisor ...

For what it's worth, Pamplona is a big bustling city, the old centre is very picturesque and well worth a visit, but if I were on a bike I'd stay just outside that area and walk in during the evening for sightseeing, tapas, etc. - the Hotel Agenda looks perfect in this regard - good choice! :)

Regs

Simon

Back
Top Bottom