Motorcycle angling trips?

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I noticed someone else on here was keen on fishing. I use my bike for going on fly and lure fishing trips, as well as taking me ot work.

High up in Scotland in search of bass on the fly rod.

Sometimes it is worth it for the nature watching too :thumby:

Fresh or salt....recently, before the rivers turned into chocolate torrents!

Pike on the fly rod too.....

So, happy to do any kind of fly fishing trips, or light lure stuff. Anyone up for it? On the bike I would rather do fly or lure trips, because of transporting the rods.

I'd be up for it and happened to have the same discussion with a fellow GSer at work that does the same. If you fancy a run down South we have some good bass fishing on the fly.

I'd be up for it and happened to have the same discussion with a fellow GSer at work that does the same. If you fancy a run down South we have some good bass fishing on the fly.

RIGHT ON!! Where are you thinking? Hayling?

We have good bass on the Welsh coast too - and turbot in the sprting, given favourable conditions.

Fishing for turbot.....

I'd would be up for a trip. Very keen fly fisherman, fishing for grayling and trout, mainly on chalkstreams down south. But really keen to fly fish for other species too.

Work allowing i'd be interested in having a go, i'm not a brilliant fly fisherman, but I have got some basic kit, i have plenty of lure kit though. I live less than a mile from a beach on the Lleyn Penninsular. So i'm rich in fishing a poor with time!!!

Work allowing i'd be interested in having a go, i'm not a brilliant fly fisherman, but I have got some basic kit, i have plenty of lure kit though. I live less than a mile from a beach on the Lleyn Penninsular. So i'm rich in fishing a poor with time!!!

Sorry guys, I don't know how to quote different posts in the same reply! So one at a time, working backwards!

Where are you on the Llyn then? North or south? I have fished the mouth of the Glaslyn, over the reef - never had so much as a swirl there though. :D

I'd would be up for a trip. Very keen fly fisherman, fishing for grayling and trout, mainly on chalkstreams down south. But really keen to fly fish for other species too.

An invite to fish your grayling river would see me loading the bike for sure! Where do you fish? Kennet, Avon, Itchen, Meon, Test, Frome? All hallowed ground and way above my status, but would love to have the opportunity one day.

I have the Dove, Churnet, and Derbyshire Derwent I can take a guest on - but only one at a time.

Pike - we could rent boats on one of th big reservoirs and have a get together.

Bass - same, but at the beach, next May onwards for that now - I know a mullet mark, call it 'Southampton' as a rough idea.

There are loads of marks for Bass around Southampton and all the easier to get to with a bike. Flounder can be fun but after the initial take they pretty much give up. I'll admit to not doing much over recent years but use to explore and fish a lot. Have you tried Dever Springs?

An invite to fish your grayling river would see me loading the bike for sure! Where do you fish? Kennet, Avon, Itchen, Meon, Test, Frome? All hallowed ground and way above my status, but would love to have the opportunity one day.

I have the Dove, Churnet, and Derbyshire Derwent I can take a guest on - but only one at a time.

Pike - we could rent boats on one of th big reservoirs and have a get together.

Bass - same, but at the beach, next May onwards for that now - I know a mullet mark, call it 'Southampton' as a rough idea.

Hi King Rat, Apologies for the delay in replying. I'm a game member of Salisbury and District Angling Club which gives me access to stretches of the River Avon, Wylye, Nadder, Bourne and Ebble. Some of the beats on the Avon do allow guests on a day ticket all at a reasonable cost (compared to the Test and Itchen), even during 'Duffers Fortnight', so the option to fish for Trout and/or Grayling depending on the time of year is available. In the winter months I will also have the odd day on the Test at Wherwell for Grayling. Again a reasonable cost (£40) for a day, where there is a good head of some good size grayling. When you consider that a day on the Test during trout season will set you back often in excess of £300, then £40 is really reasonable. For an extra 15 quid, there is a guy called Hugh O'Reilly, who organises days at Wherwell on both Saturdays and Sundays during the grayling season. This price includes breakfast and a good hearty lunch. I work shifts, with 4 days off at a time at varying times of the week depending on where I am on the rota. (6 on, 4 off), so weekends aren't always available for me.

There are loads of marks for Bass around Southampton and all the easier to get to with a bike. Flounder can be fun but after the initial take they pretty much give up. I'll admit to not doing much over recent years but use to explore and fish a lot. Have you tried Dever Springs?

I've wanted to give Dever Springs a go, but I find the cost for a day ticket a bit excessive, when for about 50 quid less I can fish stillwaters closer to me. Is it really worth the money they charge?

Sorry guys, I don't know how to quote different posts in the same reply! So one at a time, working backwards!

Where are you on the Llyn then? North or south? I have fished the mouth of the Glaslyn, over the reef - never had so much as a swirl there though. :D

Near the end between Abersoch and Rhiw, funny old place to fish can be brilliant yet at other times seem fish less, mostly due to water clarity and weather.

I'm not a fisherman but fly fishing on a lovely stretch of river is on my bucket list...

I'm available to tag along as a bag carrier and keen learner :D

I've wanted to give Dever Springs a go, but I find the cost for a day ticket a bit excessive, when for about 50 quid less I can fish stillwaters closer to me. Is it really worth the money they charge?

It is worth it as a one off or occasional treat. There are monsters in there and you can see them.

Hi King Rat, Apologies for the delay in replying. I'm a game member of Salisbury and District Angling Club which gives me access to stretches of the River Avon, Wylye, Nadder, Bourne and Ebble. Some of the beats on the Avon do allow guests on a day ticket all at a reasonable cost (compared to the Test and Itchen), even during 'Duffers Fortnight', so the option to fish for Trout and/or Grayling depending on the time of year is available. In the winter months I will also have the odd day on the Test at Wherwell for Grayling. Again a reasonable cost (£40) for a day, where there is a good head of some good size grayling. When you consider that a day on the Test during trout season will set you back often in excess of £300, then £40 is really reasonable. For an extra 15 quid, there is a guy called Hugh O'Reilly, who organises days at Wherwell on both Saturdays and Sundays during the grayling season. This price includes breakfast and a good hearty lunch. I work shifts, with 4 days off at a time at varying times of the week depending on where I am on the rota. (6 on, 4 off), so weekends aren't always available for me.

Midweek is good for me too...£40 a day, for grayling? :aidan You lot down south don't have a clue on how the rest of the country functions financially do you...£40 is a season ticket up here, and epensive at that. Guest tickets are free....beer, proper beer out of a barrel, not a pressure spout, is £2.50 for 5% sort of stuff.......just saying. :p

NO - they are fat, contorted, over fed things - not necessarily easy to catch, but not my kind of fishing. I would sooner have a Corrib brownie of 4lbs than a 20lb rainbow (foreigners) from that place. Wild fish every time for me.

Near the end between Abersoch and Rhiw, funny old place to fish can be brilliant yet at other times seem fish less, mostly due to water clarity and weather.

Aha - I only know those waters from seaward. The lanes look interesting. Happy to come across and be shown some plugging ground, or deep spinning for pollack - good NOW!

Anyone up for a bash at the Grayling in the Peak District, or top end of the Welsh Dee (not so affected by flood water).

Look at the colours on that fin.

That's a cracking fish and a lovely way to fish, i used to do a little bit of grayling fishing on the Test, Itchen and Anton, it was all upstream heavy nymph work and the bites incredibly delicate for such sporting fish!

I saw the thread title ... and was about to "pile in" with some anti-fishing stuff ( dull / Boring) .... But! then saw the word "fly"

Wow ! Jeez ......what amazing pics ( every single one ) and what a fantastic thing to do .

I think those of us who dont get chance to fly fish are missing out big time.
My neighbour flies to Murmansk , then climbs into some dodgy 50 year old rusky helicopter to reach the fishing grounds. He's enthralled and spends half his income on these trips ! ( Dont tell his wife) Good luck to you all ! Loved the photos.

Back
Top Bottom