Wilbers or OE BMW ESA

rossman999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well my 1200 GS TC ESA units have gone phut and I have the option of either putting a set of Wilbers or new OE BMW ESA for approximately the same price.
BMW ones have lasted 22K miles and 4 years and the wilbers ones have a 5 year warranty - but I have to travel down south to have them fitted - whats the recommendation from the board?

Wilber's.:thumb2

There has been some recent discussions about this very subject so do a search for more details.

Wilbers every time.
Revs Racing in Halesowen great guys.
You can service and rebuild Wilbers and they are built to suit, so they can be serviced indefinitely , also you can sell them on and will get about 60% of money back. No brainer!!!

All of the problems I have had with my GSA lc's ESA have been down to the electronics side of the suspension ie the bits that are transfered over onto the Wilbers units .

If your original units electronics are working fine I would go for Wilbers .

If I do it on mine I will first buy a couple of cheap s/hand BMW units , run them on the bike for a while to make sure the electronics are fine and then use them for the Wilbers conversion

Check out the new ESA Tractive dampers, these are fully compatible with your BMW ESA, plug & play units for both front & rear, and can either have the OEM EPA units refitted to them, or if they are faulty, Tractive's own EPA unit.
We recently did a 2009 R1200GS with over 125,000 miles and did both front & rear with new EPA on the rear.
These have 2 year warranty and can be fitted in our workshop, or remove rhe shocks and ship them to us for exchanging the dampers.
Check our report in Vendors:

LINK

There are companies (can't remember name) that will rebuild your ESA shocks for around £200 each. If you are happy with them generally, this could be a good solution. Don't forget that Wilburs need servicing every 2 years. Not sure of Tractive servicing requirements.

Back
Top Bottom