Alpen Butt Rally - August 2017

skipper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With more than 60,000 members, the Iron Butt Association is an exclusive group of motorcyclists dedicated to the sport of safe motorcycle long-distance riding. It has been organizing the toughest long-distance rally in the world, the Iron Butt Rally. The German offshoot, the Iron Butt Association Germany, has been organizing regularly long-distance rallies in Germany and throughout Europe for six years and has certified over 1200 long-distance rides. For August 2017 a major project is planned: the six-day Alpenbutt Rally. It represents the most demanding long-distance motorcycle rally ever organised in Europe.

The Alpenbutt Rally is not a race, but a kind of scatter rally with a motorcycle. The rally consists of a secret checkpoint somewhere in the Alps. In order to be a finisher of the event, riders must arrive at this checkpoint and after six days at the finish line within a time window and have completed a minimum task. Riders have the opportunity to improve their standing by visiting optional bonus locations throughout the Alpine region.

Before the start of each of the two legs, each rider receives a rally book with about 150 bonus points. There will not be enough time to visit all of them, so riders usually choose their route to visit as many of them as possible. Where the rider goes is their choice, everyone plans a route themselves, there are no specifications which routes have to be ridden. This means that outside aid is not permitted during the rally. Each participant can choose their departure and arrival time freely, you can go short distances to collect the bonus points, or you can ride up and down through this beautiful region.

Although scored points result in a better ranking, safety is always the top priority. This is not a race, it is about efficient route planning, collecting the required evidence and a healthy return. There are compulsory rest breaks, but the participants can go as far as they can and want. There are four major challenges to master when the rally has begun: to solve the navigation puzzle, to find the best route, to ride the plan, and to arrive at the checkpoint and the finish in time.

The starter field is very international. Participants from twelve countries have already registered for the rally. There are still places available, interested persons can find more information on the website www.alpenbutt.com.

Attachments

• img_02921.jpg
    img_02921.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 416
  • imgp0234.jpg
    imgp0234.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 433
  • imgp0733.jpg
    imgp0733.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 414
  • 2014-09-08-14-29-36.jpg
    2014-09-08-14-29-36.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 423
  • alpenbuttlogo_vektor_weiss_schwarz.jpg
    alpenbuttlogo_vektor_weiss_schwarz.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 433
Has anyone ever done one of these - what is worrying me, not the riding or distance or endurance required, but the puzzle solving aspect. I am no good at puzzles at the best of times, but would like a chance to do the event - but not if because of my limited brain capacity I would fail.

I haven't said that very well I expect, but I don't really understand the format instructions, so the puzzle problems are likely to just leave me stranded with not understanding the instructions.

I haven't done this either but I believe the "puzzle solving" aspect is how best to determine the most efficient route to maximise point collection!
I've done a few Iron Butt rides (Canada, USA, Mexico) but that was just a lot of riding in a time period.
Here there are compulsory rest stops (whatever that translates into) and you ride at your pace (apart from meeting a few deadlines).

Well that's Dave & I booked & paid. What have we done ?? :eek:

Plan for '17 was head East from Munich & spend 3 weeks farting about.
Now we're going to start by farting around the Alps for 6 days first. How bad :bounce1

I haven't done this either but I believe the "puzzle solving" aspect is how best to determine the most efficient route to maximise point collection!
We haven't either but I think (hope !) you're right :rob

KR, how hard can the puzzle be ? They want people to take part, and finish, so it's not going to be MasterMind. Give it a try...

Back
Top Bottom