CCM 450GP

Here's the thing ... for a long time 'Adventure' motorcycles have got bigger, heavier, more powerful, sophisticated and expensive. Those among us that have a genuine use for an 'Adventure' bike have been talking about how great it would be to have a smaller capacity, light weight bike capable of overland travel over all types of terrain.
Then ... CCM launch the 450 which arguably ticks all the boxes.

Thing is, most people don't actually want an 'Adventure' bike, they want a sophisticated rugged looking [sic] upright sports tourer with 120+ BHP and all the toys so they can blast down the motorway fully loaded with unnecessary shite two up to their hotel in France / Spain / Austria / Scotland / Brackenell / Surbiton followed by a couple of days scratching around A and B roads with their mates comparing gadgets before loading up, hitting the 'Home' button on the sat nav and blasting back for a quarterly All Year Biker appointment.
Now ... I'm not suggesting this is wrong, we all like motorcycles for different reasons and we all want them to bring us enjoyment in different ways. You pay's your money and all that.

The CCM isn't aimed at these people, it's focused on going off the beaten track and has power, weight and spec to accommodate this.

Thanks everyone for all your thought and comments, I have a 1200GSA for long European touring trips with the missus, fully loaded, I have an x challenge which I use for greenlining and (adventure camping trips) but have got to a stage where I want something a bit lighter for greenlining and that will do what the x challenge will do, the CCM seems to fit the bill.
Please keep comments and thoughts coming:thumb2

The CCM based on an Enduro bike engine and still only holding a small amount of oil is claimed to be suitable for big miles because they've lowered the maximum revs -I'm not aware of any other mods to compression cam profile etc...

That being the case, show some restraint with the throttle on a KTM 500 and you can get IMO more for less.

The 500 engine can be mad but ridden on light throttles it's a very easy un stressed ride that will return 75mpg... I suppose a cush dive in the rear wheel would be kinder to the transmission

Attachments

• IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 704
Just lower your motorway cruising speed to 60 and stop more often, if you want the 450's off road abilities at your destination?

:rob

Change your mindset and you would be fine

Austin Vince rode a DR 350 41,000 miles around the world in little over a year, 20 years ago

Nobody needs big bikes to cover distance - we only think we do

It's all in your mind

It's not all in the mind at all, some of us like to ride bikes long distance off road and at a speed that really performs well ... that's the buzz.

Anyone would think AV was the only one to have ever ridden anywhere given his almost cult like status, that's what's all in the mind :D so look what Ferret's requirements for a bike are, I'm pretty sure he knows what a flippin dr350 is:D:D

The motor is Kymco built and is the one that BMW used in their G450X albeit electronically detuned for reliability and longevity, CCM will sell you an ECU update that makes it full power but invalidates the limited warranty !!!!

The engineering in the bike especially the frame looks nice but bearing in mind CCM's reputation for going bust then reappearing and their (in the past ) utterly shocking and well deserved warranty reputaion ....

CCM 404 , 'the pop rivets have come out of the airbox and ruined the top end of your engine .......not our problem' or on the CCM 644 , 'Oh the gearbox has blown up after 700 miles........... not our problem'.

As a 404 owner , I would yes it is a bitsa but some of the bought in ancilliary components are shocking quality

The motor is Kymco built and is the one that BMW used in their G450X albeit electronically detuned for reliability and longevity, CCM will sell you an ECU update that makes it full power but invalidates the limited warranty

That's changed recently, you can now have full power version with dynajet, plug and quill exhaust and 2 year warranty is not affected :thumb2

I'm sticking with what I've got as I am a liability off road with the standard version, the thought of me getting on the full power bike would put the fear of God into anyone riding with me :D

ive had the 604 and the 644 and the biggest problem ive had is indeed the customer services...
I was after some parts last year and phoned them once again...they said we don't stock those anymore...so I asked which donor bike the parts came from...
the answer was....I don't know mate go find a forum.....followed by not our problem....
that's been there attitude every time ive phoned them....luckily haines are very helpful......
as long as you buy a nice shiney new ccm from them there not interested in you....and once they've got you money your on your own

never never again would i spend a penny with them again....

as long as you buy a nice shiney new ccm from them there not interested in you....and once they've got you money your on your own

That's not been my experience, in fact quite the opposite, they couldn't have been more helpful and have been better, in many ways, than some dealers I've dealt with over the years.

Change your mindset and you would be fine

Austin Vince rode a DR 350 41,000 miles around the world in little over a year, 20 years ago

Nobody needs big bikes to cover distance - we only think we do

It's all in your mind

Nah it's all about having 6 gears, even the DR350 had 6 gears and as you state that was some 20 years ago

It's not all in the mind at all, some of us like to ride bikes long distance off road and at a speed that really performs well ... that's the buzz.

Anyone would think AV was the only one to have ever ridden anywhere given his almost cult like status, that's what's all in the mind :D so look what Ferret's requirements for a bike are, I'm pretty sure he knows what a flippin dr350 is:D:D

You missed the point and I wasn't replying to you, but DingDong who questioned the CCM's motorway status..............which in fact was not the reason for the design brief

That was all, I merely cited AV who travelled on a smilarly cc's bike around the world, probably not on a motorway

Any reference to a DR350 was purely incidental, of course I know they are not worthy of anything really, unlike the Orange brand which has kudos in spades;)

Oh did I mention Ktm? I purposefully didn't as I know why Stu has an XC and not a ktm ;)
This is supposed to be a thread on feedback of the CCM 450 not a hijack to justify our own choices :D

I'd suggest people's experiences of the older CCMs are irrelevant, particularly since Toddy's have only been positive.

I'd suggest people's experiences of the older CCMs are irrelevant, particularly since Toddy's have only been positive.

Indeed positive so far Tim, but I’d be most worried if somebody only considered my perspective on ownership! There’s a few other gentlemen of this Parish who own a GP450, such as ChrisJK who has had his for longer and is much more experienced off roader than me who is better placed to give a view on longer term ownership.

I am a fan at the moment (I did buy one after all!) and I particularly like the fact that CCM have designed the majority of the major component parts, including frame, swing arm, fairing and tank and a lot of it is produced in the UK.
The Positives for me are it’s quite lightweight for its overall size (125Kgs dry weight), which puts it on a par with the CR250FL and the like. It’s a great long distance adventure bike out of the box with a long range, luggage carrying capability, reasonable fairing, high quality components and excellent suspension (don’t forget CCM made the very first White Power suspension for Wim Peters). I also think it’s a good looking bike and has a lot of character to the ride. The engine really loosens up after about 1,000 miles.
The factory have been great with me and replaced under warranty the two things which have broken (one battery and luggage system) with no quibbles. I can also ring them anytime I just want advice on something.

The not so good:
Can’t get away from the fact there isn’t a dealer network for support so you have to either take it back to the factory, or find a local mechanic who knows their way around the BMW 450 engines. You can buy other bikes for less (but then some need modifying for fuel range and luggage) and parts are relatively expensive. Whilst it’s quite light for this kind of bike, it’s still relatively big and heavy for Green Lane machine to use on British trails.
The luggage is crap, mine broke first trip and was replaced under warranty. I now use Wolfman stuff on it. The engine is a single so you get some vibration and as others have pointed out it’s only got a five speed box which is geared for something in-between road and trail for me. I have adjusted to my liking by fitting a smaller front which works well on the trail and but maybe not so good for the road. Another alternative would be to go up two on the back.

All things considered I think it is a great package and CCM have done a brilliant job bringing it to market. I would personally like to see it be a fantastic success for them and hopefully be the start of a wider range of British built off road and adventure machines :beerjug:

Well after reading all the comments i have arranged to go up to Bolton tomorrow, so who knows. Fortunately there is an authorised main dealer by me, Stafford Motorcycles which sell and service the bikes.:thumb2

Well after reading all the comments i have arranged to go up to Bolton tomorrow, so who knows. Fortunately there is an authorised main dealer by me, Stafford Motorcycles which sell and service the bikes.:thumb2

Have an enjoyable ride out and hope you get enough information to make a decision which is the best for you.
Let us all know how it goes regardless of the outcome :beerjug:

ON this years summer trip we rode from Calais down to Limoge, Biarritz, length of the Pyrenees, Perpignan, Narbonne, Milau, Gore du tarn, and back up top for home in 9 days (about 2600miles)
So thats to med coast and back basically - quite a bit of motorway lots of mountain passes and twisties and gorges. Ok so whats the point !!!?? 2 on 1200GS, Me on my Griso 1100 for a change (normally trip on my 1150gs) and 1 brave 6ft2 chap on a new (run in) CCM 450 loaded with his kit ! ! YES he struggled a little on the motorways but kept a fairly steady 75mph or so but in the twisties he seemed to ride it like he stole it ! To be fair he said he wouldn't do that again but point is it did it ! He just wanted to see if it would do it ! :beerjug:

Well ive had a good day out today at CCM, resulting in me purchasing a 2015 450 GP with 7000 miles on the clock.

Having ridden it home, a mix of motorway an A and B roads I must say I am impressed.

cruised easily at 70mph, no more vibes than the x challenge, handles really well on country lanes etc., don't know how different it will be when knobblies are fitted.

Looking forward to a day out on the trails at the weekend: thumb

Thanks for all your info, which helped me make my decision.

Brilliant!

I was wondering how your day went, don't forget some photos when you have chance :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom