Arai Tour X4 helmet

Flaming T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking about getting one of these... anyone got one/had one to give your opinion on. Good and bad opinions welcome please. :beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,417
Depends on your head shape - either an Arai or a Shoei but rarely both

just done a Tour of North Vietnam with one . loved it . Good air vents good vision comfortable from new . However fragile if you drop it . As Rocky says fragile vents if dropped . Just bought a spare Bell Moto 3 for my next Nam trip in February , now theres a nice Helmet:D

It depends on what u want

Mate been wearing tour x for 8 years on my 3rd, great helmet however 4 months ago bought the hornet adv!

Hornet is better fit, tighter closer and so much quieter, have my comes kit fitted and can't put it on full volume! Phone calls are clear less road noise!

All in gutted I stayed with the tour x

But like you say it's up to you, head shape and how you feel with the lid on!

Shoei and Arai have slightly different fits. My recommendation is that you try them both on and go for the best fit. I have both (Shoei as a work off road lid, and Arai as a domestic lid at home) and fit aside, probably prefer the shoei as it's both lighter and the peak is thicker and braced so doesn't vibrate as much as the Arai. (Having said that, my Arai is quite a few years old and they may have redesigned the peak since then?). The Arai is quite heavy, but to be fair very well balanced so you don't notice the weight. :thumb2

Although both these lids are great, I wouldn't chose to wear one on a long tour that may encompass many motorway miles.

Prefer the Shoei Hornet fit and finish, ....so bought the Shoei. Superb and not noisy on the GS.

Btw, tested on the motorway and some long days without issue. One of the most comfy helmets I have owned. Cut outs for intercom speakers as well ;)

I had a XD3 which has pretty much the same visor and the distortion gave me bad headaches. Some people seem fine with it but some don't.

I am super happy with my Shoei Hornet ADV. Both helmets are intermediate oval so fitting should not be an issue.

On my Tour X 4 the peak sat higher than on earlier versions I have had and it did not block winter sun nearly as well as earlier helmets' peaks . It was necessary to remove it and to slightly elongate the upper holes (which appeared to have been moulded in a way to facilitate this) to allow the peak to be rotated downwards. Everything fine after this.

The helmet appears to be basically the same as all previous versions. The Arai shape fits me very well and although the cheek pads get scuffed by beard stubble they and the rest of the lining seem to maintain their shape for years. This means that the initial fit is going to persist so don't expect it to loosen up much with use.

Mate been wearing tour x for 8 years on my 3rd, great helmet however 4 months ago bought the hornet adv!

Hornet is better fit, tighter closer and so much quieter, have my comes kit fitted and can't put it on full volume! Phone calls are clear less road noise!

All in gutted I stayed with the tour x

But like you say it's up to you, head shape and how you feel with the lid on!

I went the other way

Bought a new Hornet Adv this year

Took it back under warranty as the visor was taking the paint off the shell

Went back to a Tour X 4

Better helmet for me

I do have a Shoei Neotec though, don't get this shell shape differences

I had an X4 for a few years, then sold it and got the Shoei Hornet, which is much lighter/ better made/ more comfortable.

Bought a Shoei Hornet Adv at the NEC show - big improvement over the previous Hornet. Feels lighter, peak bigger/more useful yet less wind drag.

some great feedback here so far, many thanks.

I've worn Arai lids for many years (better fit on my head vs. Shoei) and have always been very impressed with fit, comfort, build etc.

Needed a new lid this year and as Arai's are now out of my budget decided to look around......ended up with an X-Lite X-551 GT and it's superb...can't fault it in any way.

I have just replaced my first tourx4 with.......another.

Tried the shoei and it fitted well, but the trust Arai just pipped it to the post.

I don't find it noisy, but I wear ear bud headphones so music is loud and clear.

The new pinlock needed to be filed down a touch at the mounting cut outs for it to fit properly, but it is 100% perfect at staying fog free even in -2 degrees.

I find them a very good helmet but the interior can look shabby within a year especially if you sport manly face stubble.

Vent brilliantly, all day comfy for me and spares are easy to obtain if you do break a vent (quite likely as they do crack fairly easily and the front vent switch broke twice on my last one).

I wouldn't pay £500 for one but got mine for £330 sovs from the bike show.

Back
Top Bottom