2018 KTM 790 Adventure

Not me of course. I don't do silly 'tell yer mates down the pub' speeds. But it's an indication of the performance to be able to overcome wind resistance bla bla and get to 120 ish mph.

Powerful enough for 90% of riders I suspect.

Attachments

• del1234.JPG
    del1234.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 875
Just a quick note on the Bumot Xtremada panniers .
I now use these in preference to the ally Defenders. They are much more usable as it’s amazing what you can fit in them . The roll top closure actually is quite long so will take tall items if needed

cd8fc4b8782377541e8e0e102b774af4.jpg

201e72aa23086551ed5b30edb56e9bda.jpg

The 4 ‘ bottle holders ‘ are also useful and will easily carry a 1.5 litre water bottle of obviously a fuel bottle , chain lube or whatever

ac3e1c62c929439d821a5babc64a6507.jpg

The only downside I can see is lack of security. Obviously an issue in the UK but not so much for the rest of the world where they seem less interested in taking what’s not theirs !!

Dealer confirmed today that the dashboard display is not compatible with Apple devices and must be replaced by dealers.

Not urgent and only affected functionality is the my ride.

My dealer has ordered a replacement in anticipation of their being a supply problem.

1290 in for service yesterday. I had the 790S demo to take home. I can't say that I liked it, because I didn't. The stock seat - the worst I think I've ever sat on! It didn't have the mapping of the R and just didn't feel right. Didn't like the cheap looking taller screen and just as turbulentee as having the short one, so why bother.

Only positive was the suspension. A bit soft really, but the forks reminded me of my 990SMT, so that was okay. But the R suspension is streets ahead.

I could almost flat foot my feet at 5'9".

All my opinion.

1290 in for service yesterday. I had the 790S demo to take home. I can't say that I liked it, because I didn't. The stock seat - the worst I think I've ever sat on! It didn't have the mapping of the R and just didn't feel right. Didn't like the cheap looking taller screen and just as turbulentee as having the short one, so why bother.

Only positive was the suspension. A bit soft really, but the forks reminded me of my 990SMT, so that was okay. But the R suspension is streets ahead.

I could almost flat foot my feet at 5'9".

All my opinion.
Different mapping? AFAIK it's only Rally mode different on the R.

I was going to try an S screen, but wasn't optimistic. Tried the same on an 1190 R and 1290 R, both made little difference. Yesterday tried a cheap windscreen extension thing, that made no difference. I'm five inches taller than you, and it seems we're both unhappy with the wind protection!

And the seat. Will be looking aftermarket for both when available.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Different mapping? AFAIK it's only Rally mode different on the R.

I was going to try an S screen, but wasn't optimistic. Tried the same on an 1190 R and 1290 R, both made little difference. Yesterday tried a cheap windscreen extension thing, that made no difference. I'm five inches taller than you, and it seems we're both unhappy with the wind protection!

And the seat. Will be looking aftermarket for both when available.

I have the S screen on my R. It does provide some protection, but isn’t a GS screen.
57e73ec61498092dcd929ba43f85b24e.jpg

Might give one a try, but I'm not that hopeful! How tall are you?

6 ft for bike measuring purposes and 8ft11” if calculating BMI

I don’t see what the issue is with the stock R screen ?
I’ve got mine in the low position and it was perfectly fine even at 110mph earlier this week.
I know some people seem hell-bent on always trying to create the ‘perfect bubble’ with no wind or turbulence on their bike but I’ve always much preferred clean air on my torso.
I’m not particularly tall at 6’1” but I’ve NEVER ridden a bike with an OE screen that was perfect-for example the OE screen on my 2006 1200GSA was so bad that I fitted a Desierto 3 instead.
I rode my 950SE for a decade with just a fly screen,used the 1290R with the OE small screen and doing the same with the 790R.
Yes, you get wind over you but there’s no buffeting that you get with a taller screen and it also supports your lower back by having airflow to brace against.Each to their own,as always.

I don’t see what the issue is with the stock R screen ?
I’ve got mine in the low position and it was perfectly fine even at 110mph earlier this week.
I know some people seem hell-bent on always trying to create the ‘perfect bubble’ with no wind or turbulence on their bike but I’ve always much preferred clean air on my torso.
I’m not particularly tall at 6’1” but I’ve NEVER ridden a bike with an OE screen that was perfect-for example the OE screen on my 2006 1200GSA was so bad that I fitted a Desierto 3 instead.
I rode my 950SE for a decade with just a fly screen,used the 1290R with the OE small screen and doing the same with the 790R.
Yes, you get wind over you but there’s no buffeting that you get with a taller screen and it also supports your lower back by having airflow to brace against.Each to their own,as always.

For me it’s not ‘an issue’, I bought the larger screen as I’m having a trip with some road miles not just off road. If I’m planning off road I will swap it over.

For me it’s not ‘an issue’, I bought the larger screen as I’m having a trip with some road miles not just off road. If I’m planning off road I will swap it over.

But that’s exactly my point-what’s wrong with the standard screen on the R ?
I’ve just done 600 miles around Brittany of which about 20 were off-road and its just fine. I think its even better than the 1290R setup,from memory .What are you hoping to achieve with a bigger screen ?

I don’t see what the issue is with the stock R screen?

You're lucky! I agree that bigger isn't always better, but I reckon I'm getting 30% or so more noise/volume into my ears than on my 1290R. Which was a big improvement over the 1190 R.

Not intolerable, especially when riding hard, but I don't think it does my ears any good on a long day.

But that’s exactly my point-what’s wrong with the standard screen on the R ?
I’ve just done 600 miles around Brittany of which about 20 were off-road and its just fine. I think its even better than the 1290R setup,from memory .What are you hoping to achieve with a bigger screen ?

I did similar mileage this weekend on mine and about 100 on one with the standard screen. Off road I would have broken my nose on the big screen on one of the hill climbs. 3 weeks ago when it was the storm through wales I did 400 miles with the big screen and had spare dry gloves and a phone behind the screen.

Each to his own, I’m happy either way :)

I'm planning to make a laminar lip type screen fit to the GPS mount hole. RAM mounts and extension. So it sits a few inches behind the R screen but about 4/5 inches higher. Just for fast road or motorway bits as required. Then Remove it for slower roads.

If you put a hand in that location your helmet has zero buffetting.

If it works I'll post some pics. I like the thought of it being functional, out of eyeline and easily removable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom