2018 KTM 790 Adventure

S&P in Exeter have a standard 790 Adventure in now and the 790R is due in next week. Pretty much the same price as a new 1290S..... I know where my money would be going ��

I can see people wanting the 790R at a premium price as it has a niche to fill for a smaller, lighter adventure bike that could still clock up big road miles, yet be very capable off road.

The S model I think will struggle as it will be trying to compete with much cheaper bikes like the Jap 650's and Triumph / BMW 800 / 850.

With the discounted 1090 / 1290s still around it looks like very poor value, once they are gone and the 1290 is back up at £15k it, er, still looks expensive - but less so, and not everyone wants 160BHP or the huge seat height of the 1290.

Yet what nobody is considering is that the 790 Adv is probably fitted with the best motor that KTM have ever made,assuming the re-tune from the 790 Duke hasn’t fucked with it too much.
They just need to improve the fuelling a tad off a closed throttle and it will be stunning.
Much more usable than a 1290 and more character too.

I can see people wanting the 790R at a premium price as it has a niche to fill for a smaller, lighter adventure bike that could still clock up big road miles, yet be very capable off road.

The S model I think will struggle as it will be trying to compete with much cheaper bikes like the Jap 650's and Triumph / BMW 800 / 850.

With the discounted 1090 / 1290s still around it looks like very poor value, once they are gone and the 1290 is back up at £15k it, er, still looks expensive - but less so, and not everyone wants 160BHP or the huge seat height of the 1290.

Won’t be long before there are big discounts being offered, in the usual KTM way. It would certainly be worth waiting for the hype to die down before ordering. ;)

I’ve been very interested in the 790 R. I rode one today and was disappointed. I wasn’t expecting that. I had just come off a 1200 GSA which I’d been on all day so to be fair anything was going to be very different. Even so and with lots of after thought I still found it quite vibey and critically I found the seating position for me was too close to the bars. The bars are adjustable and of course pivoting risers would have helped but it’s not a big bike and for off road I would have liked the bars/pegs to be further apart.
TFT etc all good and it looked and felt nicely built .
I am 6”2 so not many bikes fit that well but even so this one felt pretty tiny compared to the Africa Twin for example.
Annoyed as I really wanted to like it.
Try before you buy.

I’ve been very interested in the 790 R. I rode one today and was disappointed. I wasn’t expecting that. I had just come off a 1200 GSA which I’d been on all day so to be fair anything was going to be very different. Even so and with lots of after thought I still found it quite vibey and critically I found the seating position for me was too close to the bars. The bars are adjustable and of course pivoting risers would have helped but it’s not a big bike and for off road I would have liked the bars/pegs to be further apart.
I am 6”2 so not many bikes fit that well but even so this one felt pretty tiny compared to the Africa Twin for example.
Try before you buy.

It was the R you tried ? Where was this as didn’t think any were in uk yet ?

No sorry it wasn’t the R just the standard one. I asked if anything different other than seat heights but essentially the same.
It seems overpriced currently but I guess that’s supply/demand on the new bike. Especially Next to a 1290 Adventure R at similar price..

Try before you buy.

Thanks for your comments. We'll all see soon enough. KTM's are a bit vibey generally. Some would say it adds character and up to a point thats true. Too many vibes ruin a bike though. BMW XR/Africa Twin for example.

I suspect your 6'2" will struggle to fit the 790. The 'R' possibly. But it's a small adventure bike and probably a bike that won't work for you. I'm 5'9" and sat/stood on the R lots at the shows and it seems to suit my size very well, but a ride will confirm. Horses for courses as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comments. We'll all see soon enough. KTM's are a bit vibey generally. Some would say it adds character and up to a point thats true. Too many vibes ruin a bike though. BMW XR/Africa Twin for example.

I suspect your 6'2" will struggle to fit the 790. The 'R' possibly. But it's a small adventure bike and probably a bike that won't work for you. I'm 5'9" and sat/stood on the R lots at the shows and it seems to suit my size very well, but a ride will confirm. Horses for courses as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Africa Twin vibey ? Nah .

Just in case you plan to buy an Akro, the price on KTMs website is wrong by approx £100. The price was increased because they had to fit more heat shield to the exhaust.

Just in case you plan to buy an Akro, the price on KTMs website is wrong by approx £100. The price was increased because they had to fit more heat shield to the exhaust.

Already got one.

87aad19d3d5739ac67b854acf6bd69ca.jpg

Back
Top Bottom