2018 KTM 790 Adventure

A specc'd up Tiger XCA would set you back about 12k I think - even the base ones are over 10 grand.

A specc'd up Tiger XCA would set you back about 12k I think - even the base ones are over 10 grand.

Yep - I've been looking at XRt and that can easily get to 12.5K with just a couple of options, and the XCa is a bit more (probably because of the better suspension).

I'm hoping KTM will try and keep the price low to avoid too much overlap with the 1090, but still expect the 790 Adventures to come in at somewhere in the mid to high £10,xxx depending on spec.

Anything less and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

So the tenere should be a bargain then , hopefully.
Should certainly be the most reliable .

I had more problems with my Tenere when purchased new in 2009 than I’ve had with any KTM so I wouldn’t bet my house on a new one being super reliable :rob

Yams had the best reliability figures in Bennett’s I noticed recently , 11% faults apparently

Certainly the 1200 Super Tenere seems to be pretty bulletproof. I know of 4 of them that have done big miles with just routine servicing. Shame they're so bloody big and heavy as I could get a new one for under 12k

I read the other day that a valve service on the Super Ten is an even bigger PITA than it is on the 1*90. Needs doing less often though.

Popped into Cotswold BMW this eve on the way home. They've got a gold wheel 1250 in showroom. Actually I liked the look of it in the flesh. Exhaust manifolds are quite a bit larger diameter and less of a bend off the cylinders. Cylinders don't stick out further than the old 1200. Started the demo....sounded very nice even with the stock end can, not so harsh sounding as my 14 bike and throttle super smooth. No Adventure though. Deffo going to go for a demo ride. Did say it needs to be VERY good to give up the KTM. :D

The 850 was next to it. I guess that's the price point KTM will look at, one of them anyway. Still surprised they didn't fit adjustable shocks on the front...what a strange decision?! Staring at the 1250 and 850 together I doubt many would choose the 850 if cash was removed from the choice process.

Popped into Cotswold BMW this eve on the way home. They've got a gold wheel 1250 in showroom. Actually I liked the look of it in the flesh. Exhaust manifolds are quite a bit larger diameter and less of a bend off the cylinders. Cylinders don't stick out further than the old 1200. Started the demo....sounded very nice even with the stock end can, not so harsh sounding as my 14 bike and throttle super smooth. No Adventure though. Deffo going to go for a demo ride. Did say it needs to be VERY good to give up the KTM. :D

The 850 was next to it. I guess that's the price point KTM will look at, one of them anyway. Still surprised they didn't fit adjustable shocks on the front...what a strange decision?! Staring at the 1250 and 850 together I doubt many would choose the 850 if cash was removed from the choice process.

Will be interested to see what you think of the 1250 compared to the KTM. I’m away so won’t get to ride one for a few weeks, but am looking forward to having a play on one.

I agree - big miss by BMW that.
I tried one and was quite seriously considering it, but the forks were too soft for my liking and, without any adjustment, there's nothing you can do.
I don't get why you'd have ESA on the rear and zero adjustment of any kind on the front :duno

If the 790 ADV comes at a reasonable price tag and with the same level of tech as the 790 Duke I reckon it will go like hot cakes.
I'm pretty sure I'll be having one of those or a Tiger 800 next year...

Interesting to see most of the conversation revolving around the KTM being more or less a competitor for the Tiger 800, BMW 850 etc...........

I'm hoping it'll be much more focused than these bikes, that is focused as a dirt bike. Something like a modern day Super Enduro.
Whether that makes financial sense to KTM though is another matter as making it more niche may not be the best thing sales wise :nenau

Andres

Edit: If KTM can carry off the trick of a decent dirt bike and brilliant road bike as they have with the R Adv models then it'll be a win/win :)

Edit: If KTM can carry off the trick of a decent dirt bike and brilliant road bike as they have with the R Adv models then it'll be a win/win :)

That's what I'm hoping for!!

Interesting to see most of the conversation revolving around the KTM being more or less a competitor for the Tiger 800, BMW 850 etc...........

I'm hoping it'll be much more focused than these bikes, that is focused as a dirt bike. Something like a modern day Super Enduro.
Whether that makes financial sense to KTM though is another matter as making it more niche may not be the best thing sales wise :nenau

Andres

I'm hoping and expecting exactly that.
The 790 motor is probably my favourite KTM motor of all time in the 790 Duke. If they can just make the bottom end fuelling a tad smoother,which will be important on such a bike,then it'll be perfect.
Combined with the lightish weight,low seat and 250 mile tank range, I think it'll be a brilliant bike for riding to Spain etc and then exploring the trails such as in the Picos.
Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh in a couple of weeks to see what it is I've ordered !

I'm hoping and expecting exactly that.
The 790 motor is probably my favourite KTM motor of all time in the 790 Duke. If they can just make the bottom end fuelling a tad smoother,which will be important on such a bike,then it'll be perfect.
Combined with the lightish weight,low seat and 250 mile tank range, I think it'll be a brilliant bike for riding to Spain etc and then exploring the trails such as in the Picos.
Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh in a couple of weeks to see what it is I've ordered !

How did you manage that - I tried to put a deposit down on one and my dealer said they couldn't take orders yet???

How did you manage that - I tried to put a deposit down on one and my dealer said they couldn't take orders yet???

Any dealer will take a holding deposit. You just won’t get a printed order, just a dealer receipt.

ive one ordered too, and confident enough i will see it in milan at the show (hopefully)

On a serious note, the bike on display at the recent exhibition was fenced in. My guess is they're holding off for a full launch at Milan. I'm there Thursday & Friday for a good look-see. Love it.

Just don't do what I did 2 years ago and queue up to buy a ticket at the door! What a mistake that was! :blast & double :blast

On a serious note, the bike on display at the recent exhibition was fenced in. My guess is they're holding off for a full launch at Milan. I'm there Thursday & Friday for a good look-see. Love it.

Just don't do what I did 2 years ago and queue up to buy a ticket at the door! What a mistake that was! :blast & double :blast

That was the prototype bike. Bit different to the actual bike to be sold.
I’ll be at the show first thing Wednesday. Wanted to be there Tuesday pm when it opens but work commitments means we can’t fly out till Tuesday .

Back
Top Bottom