Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2018 KTM 790 Adventure

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe The Nutty KTMer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SPL View Post
    Hmm - I think this looks very interesting.

Despite the 1290 SA-S being brilliant, I wonder if smaller / lighter might be just as good / better on the really twisty stuff.
    Would the 790 ADV make a good road bike with the right tyres etc, or is it too much of a focussed off-road tool??
    Or maybe the updated MV Tourismo Veloce would be a better option for road only (bloody expensive though).

I guess the sensible plan would be to wait a few months - then Arsey will have bought, tried, and sold both of them and can tell us which is best
    They’ll probably do an adventure R and more road focussed S, if history is anything to go by

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nutty GSER View Post
    They’ll probably do an adventure R and more road focussed S, if history is anything to go by
    Today's MCN has the R in it. Looks very promising and the fact it's out on display means what you see can't be far from the production model.

This been posted?? Poor resolution but....

https://youtu.be/-A0P-4tHX4A

Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    I'm genuinely quite excited by this bike.
    I guess I'm fairly typical of most big KTM owners so whilst I'd dearly love this type of bike (really, really, really would) the realities of every day life mean I would probably never have one.............and I wonder if that, if people are really honest, would be true of most potential buyers?Andres
    Currently owning an 08 990 and a 1190 Adventure I would agree with this statement. As great as it might be and as much as I would love this bike and "propper" offroad types have been waiting for this for a long time I wonder just how many will put their money down on this.
    Current 990 & 1190R owners who use for main bike, touring and occassionally a bit of green lane type of thing ( which I think is the majority of owners) would probally still go for a 1090 if going for an newer KTM. or even the ATSA. Much better options if distance/ luggage / Pillion are a factor
    Might be just right for the 525 / 690 / 701 types though who want a bit more Umph.
    Obviously once its been around for a couple of years and its value has halved then yes might be tempted as second bike.
    Again, KTM might be forced into heavily discounting this bike early next year depending on how well 700 tenere is recieved.?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe mikeyboy's Avatar
    Overland and classic,vale of belvoir,Melton Mowbray
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinerider View Post
    Might be just right for the 525 / 690 / 701 types
    You might want to look at the prices for a used 2nd gen 701,
    Prob only 6 or 7 hundred squid cheaper than a new one,there is one on auto trader at £7.5k private sale.
    Holding strong money due to low volume purchasing.
    overland and classic

Just musing watching the setting sun drop behind the Malvern hills.

I wonder if the 790R will kill off the 1090R? It'll probably not be that much slower. The 1090R looks outdated now next to the 1290's. The 790 Adv will get a TFT screen. More capable off-road too I suspect. So I wouldn't be surprised if they stop the 1090 once 790's are launched.

Will see in November. Just booked BA flights LHR-Milan. £78 all in. Better than the £250 I paid last year! Maybe I've learnt my lesson to book in advance.

I may well have a punt on the new 790 Adv. I love my current 1190S to bits and as people have said if you can only have one bike and part of your riding includes taking pillions and luggage then it copes well. It also does pretty much everything else..... until last week when out with mates on Tiger 800XCs on K60 tyres, and they turned into a road covered width way's in mud, some of it a couple of inches deep. I suddenly felt way out of depth as my road based tyres couldn't cope and I had some proper slides. We stopped after 100 yards in a clearing and we managed to get it turned round before the lane went downhill. If I'd been on the 790 I'd happily have carried on. If I do go for the 790 I'll just have to get an older larger capacity bike for pillion duties as most of my UK riding is sub 90mph stuff.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345