2018 KTM 790 Adventure

This puts the cat amongst the pigeons then!

Horrid dash. Needs a glass panel now. Things have moved on.

Attachments

• 3606349B-839B-4036-BBB0-A7BEF173689C.jpg
    3606349B-839B-4036-BBB0-A7BEF173689C.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 941
I am sure the final production release will look better to some degree, assuming lower seat than the 1090/1290 it might pull in a few more potential buyers, including my Mrs.

If the price is right I will be giving one a go with a view to trading the 1090 for one.

If it has a similar engine to the 790 it’ll be great fun compaired to the 1090

This puts the cat amongst the pigeons then!

Horrid dash. Needs a glass panel now. Things have moved on.

I’m sure it’ll be a nice bike but the 790 motor from the Duke is in a different league to the MT07,making similar power to the MT09.

So when donor 790 and MT07 powerplants are installed in the new adventure bikes, I’d expect the KTM to trounce the Yam.

And,as you say, that dash on the Yamaha is vile.Cheap plastic made to look like a road book.Completely naff.

I’m betting that the WP suspension on the KTM will also be a step up from that fitted to the Yamaha.

Nothing to stop you registering interest for when they are?

I think they’ll be great

I fully intend to get one,probably trading in my 790 Duke, as I’ll be selling the 1290R after my Spain trip this June.

Yams offering will probably be fitted with cheap nasty sussies ala the old XT660Z Tenere. They’ll also probably release a “SP” version later with decent sussies after they’ve cashed in on 1st release furore imo.

52972b073f5f87745bca6ae4e8f5c803.jpg

3ea1debbbef8bda934fa1c746d99d7d1.jpg

82a02e0e0415dc2e9b53998858843dd8.jpg

369e62a4f45dcc8616f7015e4acc856a.jpg

Don't think the finished article looks much like the above.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FOfficial.KTM%2Fvideos%2F1988614977876282%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

I like that, apart from the ugly exhaust which seems to be oem for every manufacturer now, and the frontend/headlight is way better than on the other big ktms at the moment, might even buy one of those!!

I like that, apart from the ugly exhaust which seems to be oem for every manufacturer now, and the frontend/headlight is way better than on the other big ktms at the moment, might even buy one of those!!

I think the exhaust looks a hell of a lot better than the monstrosity on the new 850 GS

I like it, might have to keep the 1090 / 1190 and sell a Kidney to add one of these to the Stable.

Last but one photo looks really odd. Looks like someone trashed a rear tire and they had to fit a new one before the shot, with instructions to leave as much mud on the rim as possible :D

Sub £10k? I think it has to be to sell loads, but I doubt it will be, then it won't sell loads, then KTM will drop the price, then early tasters get hit hard. See early 1290S buyers. Will probably take the hit though ;)

The low seat height is exactly what it needed and is welcome news.

I'm genuinely quite excited by this bike.

Potentially it could be the perfect do it all big enduro bike if they get it right. Something people have been wanting from main stream manufacturers for a while.........but there's the rub. The people that want this are niche, they are not mass market.

GS's and the big KTM Advs sell predominantly to people that use them as touring bikes, not as off roaders.

I love my 1190R and yes it does get used now and again off road BUT the main reason I have it is as a two up capable bike that I can lark around on, on and off road, solo. In an ideal world I'd much prefer something like the 790; smaller, lighter and (hopefully) even more dirt focused than my R but then I loose the abitlity to fuck off to the South of Spain with The Lovely Amanda, her 10 pairs of shoes and hair straighteners, on the back.

I guess I'm fairly typical of most big KTM owners so whilst I'd dearly love this type of bike (really, really, really would) the realities of every day life mean I would probably never have one.............and I wonder if that, if people are really honest, would be true of most potential buyers?

I really hope KTM do well with the bike as it looks like they have put a lot of thought and effort into developing it and it's gonna be interesting to see how it sells (and to whom).

Andres

I'm genuinely quite excited by this bike.

Potentially it could be the perfect do it all big enduro bike if they get it right. Something people have been wanting from main stream manufacturers for a while.........but there's the rub. The people that want this are niche, they are not mass market.

GS's and the big KTM Advs sell predominantly to people that use them as touring bikes, not as off roaders.

I love my 1190R and yes it does get used now and again off road BUT the main reason I have it is as a two up capable bike that I can lark around on, on and off road, solo. In an ideal world I'd much prefer something like the 790; smaller, lighter and (hopefully) even more dirt focused than my R but then I loose the abitlity to fuck off to the South of Spain with The Lovely Amanda, her 10 pairs of shoes and hair straighteners, on the back.

I guess I'm fairly typical of most big KTM owners so whilst I'd dearly love this type of bike (really, really, really would) the realities of every day life mean I would probably never have one.............and I wonder if that, if people are really honest, would be true of most potential buyers?

I really hope KTM do well with the bike as it looks like they have put a lot of though and effort into developing it and it's gonna be interesting to see how it sells (and to whom).

Andres

I agree with you.

Look at the shit I’m taking to Asturias today as got the girlie in tow .

29886181fbdb69d414f42e4a0a2dece9.jpg

But the 790 motor is brilliant and should be astonishing in this bike .

My KTMs never venture far off road but part time beckons at work and I really want to ride the TAT and the TET at some point.

The 790 Adv should be perfect for this .

Wow! that is a lot of kit unless you're camping.

790 Adv would be great for my use, bar the occasions when I take the missus. Loads of wives won't ride pillion, so that's a decent customer base, surely?

Well that burst my dream bubble.

If I lived on the edge of the Alps, Pyrennes etc it would probably do, but could not see myself wanting to do the typical 400 miles of Motorway I endure heading off to these places on a much smaller bike, and at home there are not really any tracks or trails worthy of having this bikes ability, the 1190 can get around the Cotswolds perfectly well.

I suspect it will do very well in the niche market, but Yamaha will have a much cheaper option out around the same time which might ruin it a bit, maybe enough for me to get one during a leftover sale ;-)

Back
Top Bottom