XR150 Vietnam

dubster

Reaction score
Good evening gentlemen,

A bit uninformed here as to small traillies so would appreciate some input if you can... :thumb2
Here in Vietnam we're a bit limited re choice of bikes (my UK 1150GS is waiting patiently in my brother's garage for my summer return :D)... basically I have the option of buying either a XR150 or the four-stroke Yamaha XT125.

Does anyone have any experience with either bike? Any reason to avoid one over the other? Can the little XR be bored/modified to improve the low down [searched but couldn't find any info]? Your wisdom, experience and slagging all appreciated :beerjug:

Oh man , either will do , and I bet they are super fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have experience of owning/modifying them but we used XR150s on a loop of northern Vietnam last year and they did fine. We took on some reasonable offroad work fully laden with no problems.

I don't have experience of owning/modifying them but we used XR150s on a loop of northern Vietnam last year and they did fine. We took on some reasonable offroad work fully laden with no problems.

Lucky you mate, sounds awesome and bet it was :thumb2

How do you reckon they could handle two-up with gear?

Yes, had a look at both today and they look like proper fun :D

Planning a trip up to Hanoi in Tet (there's a two week holiday here), can't feckin wait :beerjug:

I'm so jealous . I need to do Vietnam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oor Guide on a recent trip to Vietnam had a Kawasaki 150 Trail bike . We were on Dr 650's / DRZ 400's XR250/400's . He was more than a match for us !! They are great bikes nice and light and traffic is not fast just busy . We set off from Hanoi , put the bikes on the train to La cai and bounced along the Chinese border .Great place to ride , you'll have fun on either . My favourite placed to ride . Doing Hanoi yo Ho Chi Min city 2018:thumby:

That's Cheap, they pay a lot in tax . The XR 400's are up to $10000

Yep 70mill. AFAIK the cut off for maHOOssive tax penalties is 150cc so the wee XR is becoming an increasingly common sight in Saigon

Oor Guide on a recent trip to Vietnam had a Kawasaki 150 Trail bike . We were on Dr 650's / DRZ 400's XR250/400's . He was more than a match for us !! They are great bikes nice and light and traffic is not fast just busy . We set off from Hanoi , put the bikes on the train to La cai and bounced along the Chinese border .Great place to ride , you'll have fun on either . My favourite placed to ride . Doing Hanoi yo Ho Chi Min city 2018:thumby:

Nice one Robbo, sounds like a proper holiday :thumb2
As you say there's not much point in 50+BHP on the quality of roads here...
Enjoyed your ride report, send us a PM if you fancy a beer in HCMC:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom