Advice needed rather urgently :)

steve7765

Reaction score
Good Evening,

Currently riding a Tiger 800 but have agreed a deal to trade in the Tiger against a 2010 R1200 GS showing 27000 miles on the clock, the bike has full and comprehensive BMW history which all being well should take place over the next few days.

Although i've long admired the GS and have always planned on owning one i'm a complete novice about what to look for before purchasing.

Can anyone give me advice on anything to look for to ensure im buying something worth buying rather than a pile of shite polished up to look like a good un.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Check final drive has had no issues, or has any signs of leaks...paint on engine can be sketchy if unloved, my 09 mu had fuel strip issues, make sure fuel gauge works ok...im an 1150 guy now so others with more knowledge on the 1200 will be along soon...

If your buying in a BMW dealership you should have a 2 year warranty. It's very good. Shocks covered till 30,000 miles. I presume you have riden this bike. It's VERY different to the tiger. As to what to look for.... spec is everything heated grips alarm etc the more the better. Luggage is very expensive. Is it included? I would say the gs has a lot more carachter others wold say quirky. I ride a gsa. The most important thing is the warranty. JJH

Good Evening,

Currently riding a Tiger 800 but have agreed a deal to trade in the Tiger against a 2010 R1200 GS showing 27000 miles on the clock, the bike has full and comprehensive BMW history which all being well should take place over the next few days.

Although i've long admired the GS and have always planned on owning one i'm a complete novice about what to look for before purchasing.

Can anyone give me advice on anything to look for to ensure im buying something worth buying rather than a pile of shite polished up to look like a good un.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve
Post up the reg number it could well be someone on here's old bike

There's a 2009 12gs on this very site. 10 months BMW warranty and 21k miles. Become a subscriber and you can contact the vendor direct. :D

Ah ... Missed the bit about the trade in! Hey ho ...

I had a 2010 Twin Cam GS a few years back, loved the bike absolutely no issues although it did like a little oil, 1/2 ltr every 1000mls. I believe this was relatively common for the model, down to looser tolerances on the air cooled bike.
With a full service history you should be ok.

Sold my Tiger 800 for a used low mileage 2010 R1200GS and never looked back. The GS has been faultless for 30K miles. Just bought a 2015 GS to keep it company.
Love them both.

As Cherokee says, check the final drive, you can do this by gripping the rear wheel top and bottom and giving it a wiggle....if there is any movement more than 1mm you will likely need a new FD soon....refurbishment costs about £450 from a good independent. Rear shocks do let go at some stage where you will lose damping. They too can be refurbished for about £150.

Other than that...pretty reliable and bullet proof engines...condition is everything.

Guys.........many thanks for taking the time to reply and point me in the right direction.

Things have moved on a touch since my original posting..........i decided against purchasing the GS mentioned in my original post, i'm now the proud owner of a 64 plate GS 1200 TE purchased from Williams in Manchester.

Guys.........many thanks for taking the time to reply and point me in the right direction.

Things have moved on a touch since my original posting..........i decided against purchasing the GS mentioned in my original post, i'm now the proud owner of a 64 plate GS 1200 TE purchased from Williams in Manchester.

Congratuations.
i am sure you will enjoy the bike.

Back
Top Bottom